Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the “def quality poor” message with the mileage countdown to limp mode, no CELs to be read, none on dash, none stored per obd2 scanner.
Ive replaced pos 2, pos 1 should show up any day now.

Which is the best way to clear the light if there are no cels showing?
Gm drive cycle? Better to do it with the obd scanner?
been following the older def threads but no activity.
Any info appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also looking for recommendations on a scan tool, not sure which one to get for the duramax

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I can't help with clearing the DEF counter, but I have the BlueDriver OBD-II dongle and software and it's been able to read and clear codes in basically all the modules in all of our vehicles. I originally bought it to deal with a 4WD control module problem with a Jeep my daughter used to have but it's worked great for everything else as well.

Reactions: 6speedTi and 93Duc

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks drax, ill be looking into that one shortly.
Im getting a little discouraged since it seems most folks get a cel with the def warning and i havent...hmmm

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: 6speedTi

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm using this one at the recommendation of someone else here. I bought it specifically because it had the ability to turn on the A/C after-blow feature using software that was written by the person who recommended it. I used it for that and the included software for just looking at things and for that it works great. I have not had to clear any codes (yet?) so can't comment on that part:

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Yup, that's the one!

I'm using this one at the recommendation of someone else here. I bought it specifically because it had the ability to turn on the A/C after-blow feature using software that was written by the person who recommended it. I used it for that and the included software for just looking at things and for that it works great. I have not had to clear any codes (yet?) so can't comment on that part:

What software are you using to enable features like after-blow? Torque + BiScan or something else?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, thanks fellas. Gonna pick up one of those two shortly.
looking into recall
  • N192273630 and see if thats playing in. Weirdest part is theres no cel to read

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yup, that's the one!

What software are you using to enable features like after-blow? Torque + BiScan or something else?
The software is called Gretio, it's in the Play store. The basic app is free, but it's $20/yr to unlock all of the features, including the one to enable after blow. Also you have to put the OBD device in slow mode to toggle the after blow feature, apparently a limitation of the OBD reader and not the software. More info towards the bottom of page-2 of the thread below:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, so just finished at local shop, he has gm tech connect and it showed nothing out of place. Def warning light on and poor def quality msg on dic, still no cels. We were both dumbfounded how there is no record of anything out of place anywhere. Replaced pos2, pos 1 shows up friday, fingers crossed for that but now limited to 4mph, so doing the drive cycle is out. Likely have to get the obd tool to clear it that way. Totals up on about 600 sillybucks all in, maybe more if clearing is difficult.
Ironically was trying to get it in to the dealer for the related recall before this started. Now im afraid theyll charge me even if the recall fix takes care of it.
What a PiTA!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wow, so just finished at local shop, he has gm tech connect and it showed nothing out of place. Def warning light on and poor def quality msg on dic, still no cels. We were both dumbfounded how there is no record of anything out of place anywhere. Replaced pos2, pos 1 shows up friday, fingers crossed for that but now limited to 4mph, so doing the drive cycle is out. Likely have to get the obd tool to clear it that way. Totals up on about 600 sillybucks all in, maybe more if clearing is difficult.
Ironically was trying to get it in to the dealer for the related recall before this started. Now im afraid theyll charge me even if the recall fix takes care of it.
What a PiTA!
Viewing the tests can be done in GDS2.
But it’s not something the service manual has you do. Probably cause it’s a massive headache. But that’s where you see the codes which have not ‘passed’. Basically meaning the code diagnostic has not ran. It’s kind of in a limbo state.

Regardless replacing NOx sensors is a go to first step. You’re only paying like 200 to 300 in labor so kinda meh. And I would imagine they would run a quality test after getting the sensors. Hopefully that’s included in the charge.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gds2 can be done with an obd2 scanner? New to this end of things since the colo has been the only vehicle to give me any troubles like this.
Doing the NOx sensors myself, super easy. This is going to make me get a scanner iguess. About time i had one anyhow i reckon. Pos 1 sensor on friday, can have scanner here by then im sure. Sure would like to go camp this weekend and not dicker with the truck.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, update, got pos 1 sensor in, dash behaving as before, speed limiting wont let me do the drive cycle to try to clear this def light, warning, and speed limiting.
Have the battery unhooked for half an hour to see if that does anything. Prob wont.
How the heck do you get this thing cleared?? Obd2 scanner should be here tmrw.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had a NOx sensor go out and had the dealer replace it. After the swap and clearing the codes, they had to run a manual regen. Part of the procedure, I was told. Hopefully, whatever OBD scanner you get will allow you to do that yourself if needed in the future.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what im hoping too. Sounds like you force a regen, then you can clear the light. Cmon amazon, bring that thing

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm, i need to run thru the rest of the manual, but it seems that i may indeed have bad sheeps pee in there. Bluedriver is pretty easy to use so far. Listing ‘incorrect reagent’

NOx pos 1 running at mid 80’s
NOx pos 2 running at mid 80’s

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update for those following.
procured a siphon pump and clean new tubing, hand pumped the def tank empty, spent a lot of time getting every drop i could. Filled with fresh def, or one 2.5 gal at least. Up to operating temp and still no changes. Had to drop the spare and undo thefiller tube to get pump tubing in there.
will be having another session with bluedriver once the hot part of the day is done.
If no luck, its gonna be time for a tow to the dealer.
Good times, we got em.

Reactions: SFLTruck and 93Duc

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am tapping out. Getting it towed to La Quinta Chevolds dealer today. I fought long and hard i say.

Reactions: MattFL and 93Duc

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
888 Posts
I am tapping out. Getting it towed to La Quinta Chevolds dealer today. I fought long and hard i say.
Hey man- good try. I don’t know if there’s any stone you left unturned.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts