Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Canyon w Bose and Nav. I want CarPlay and am thinking about just getting the later model bits from those online places to swap out and get it on my 2015.

Thinking about this instead of an aftermarket head unit.

I’m going to ditch the factory nav if I go this route (if I can) as it’s useless anyhow.

just wondering how the OEM experience is on the later models. I’m concerned as I happen to be renting a brand new Highlander or whatever Toyota and the CarPlay is OK but a little wonky. Sometimes the phone doesn’t go into CarPlay mode, Sirius works 10% of the time etc. Maybe it’s my cable but I don’t think so.

long story short, OEM swap or aftermarket namebrand head unit?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Swapping radios is a not nice experience. You would need to open it up and change the vin. At least.

GM’s ‘dealer’ software will not let you do it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swapping radios is a not nice experience. You would need to open it up and change the vin. At least.

GM’s ‘dealer’ software will not let you do it.
I’m talking about the various services online that sell the programmed HMI and radio modules. Plug and play from everything I’ve seen here and elsewhere online.
Just wondering about general performance and quality vs going with a Pioneer / Alpine etc head unit. It’s a lot more $$$ to go aftermarket but if the factory 2016+ radio is crap when it comes to CarPlay and general responsiveness etc then I don’t mind spending more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2017 with the IO5 (8" screen, non-Bose) and Android Auto works great (Galaxy S-7). Had to try a couple of USB cables to find one that worked every time. Those services that sell the upgraded modules will flash it for your VIN, but they are pricy!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I’m talking about the various services online that sell the programmed HMI and radio modules. Plug and play from everything I’ve seen here and elsewhere online.
Just wondering about general performance and quality vs going with a Pioneer / Alpine etc head unit. It’s a lot more $$$ to go aftermarket but if the factory 2016+ radio is crap when it comes to CarPlay and general responsiveness etc then I don’t mind spending more.
There is a lot of functions the head unit is responsible for.
OEM will make sure all of that works.

While many companies have tried to made everything work I always see problems. Worse case was when someone’s DIC went to German. Annnnnd the only way to change that was with the head unit.

Except they had an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2017 with the IO5 (8" screen, non-Bose) and Android Auto works great (Galaxy S-7). Had to try a couple of USB cables to find one that worked every time. Those services that sell the upgraded modules will flash it for your VIN, but they are pricy!
Relative to aftermarket, they’re actually pretty cheap. I’m looking at $600 for the base kit from White Auto and Media which seems to be the place to go. Adding the factory nav means $160 more and frankly I figure that’s a waste of money. The install is dead simple given its OEM.

Aftermarket I’m at a solid $1200 and would likely have to pay for the install.

These are USD. I’ll likely order the kit from White Auto next time I travel to the US and bring it back to Canada with me. The aftermarket is cool with wireless CarPlay, better screen etc etc but sticking to factory has it’s obvious benefits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts