Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new member and new owner I hope this is in the right section. Its hard to find real solid info on the 3.6 lfx when it comes to reliability in the Colorado/Canyon. I just bought a 2015 with 40k miles and it runs great. The tranny is extremely smooth, shifts are not clunky at all. Really happy so far. How reliable have these things proven to be to you guys? I've put several hundred thousand miles in several ford trucks and they were super reliable to me. So were the couple gm trucks that I had.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No issues...just turned 36k miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Hitting 40k this week. Zero engine or trans issues if you dont count the need for 89+ octane to make them shift well. :)

Reactions: steamloco76

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
About to crest 40k, had the Trifecta tune that helped with smoother shifting and way improved throttle response since about 15k(? would have to check for actual), never had any issues and very happy with the way it drives.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i have a 2015,she will be 3 years old next month with 48,000 miles and trifecta tune and runs like the day she was new. 3.6 and 6 speed tranny are a tried and true combo.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
There have been plenty of reported issues with how the 6 speed works, but I don't recall seeing anyone report an actual engine or transmission failure. The 6L50 transmission has been around for a long time and it is proven.

For what it is worth, the 6 speed attached to my diesel works great - very smooth/buttery, I would even say "Toyota like", as in Camry, not Tacoma :laugh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hitting 40k this week. Zero engine or trans issues if you dont count the need for 89+ octane to make them shift well. :)
How common is people running 89+? Only thread I could find about it was from 2015. I only need to fill up every 3 weeks or so. I'd definitely switch to 91+ (all I see in my area higher than 87) if it helped at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
How common is people running 89+? Only thread I could find about it was from 2015. I only need to fill up every 3 weeks or so. I'd definitely switch to 91+ (all I see in my area higher than 87) if it helped at all.
Seems like it is not common persay but there are a lot of us running higher octane for the drive-ability issues. The reason it is hard to find others reporting their use is because the posts are mixed in with other threads ranging from Tunes to Drivetrain issues. The are not many single threads on the subject.

It makes a huge difference in my case but I live and drive in a predominantly hilly area at the base of the Sierra Nevada range. On mostly flat land driving I'm not sure the higher octane makes as much of a difference but it is still there. Only way to know if it will work for you is to try 3 tanks or so and make observations.

I just purchased a pedal Commander so I'll be testing different octane levels for drive-ability with the PC and see if I can get away with 87 or if I need to go back to 89+.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Seems like it is not common persay but there are a lot of us running higher octane for the drive-ability issues. The reason it is hard to find others reporting their use is because the posts are mixed in with other threads ranging from Tunes to Drivetrain issues. The are not many single threads on the subject.

It makes a huge difference in my case but I live and drive in a predominantly hilly area at the base of the Sierra Nevada range. On mostly flat land driving I'm not sure the higher octane makes as much of a difference but it is still there. Only way to know if it will work for you is to try 3 tanks or so and make observations.

I just purchased a pedal Commander so I'll be testing different octane levels for drive-ability with the PC and see if I can get away with 87 or if I need to go back to 89+.
Other than a few bucks it won't hurt to give it a shot!

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I'm curious with the engines that have more than 50,000 miles on them, how many people religiously use top tier gas and how many people don't worry about it? This is the first truck I ever worried if I was using top tier gas just because of the stories I heard about carbon build up on the values. I'm not even sure how detergent gas is helping if the top of the values never see any gas at all.

So, how many people here with a lot of miles on this engine don't worry about top tier gas and is it helping the life of the engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
'15 Canyon. 44k My first 6sp auto and I've always found the frequency of the gear shifting to be annoying. Tends to put me in low rpms and without any guts so any pedal requires a shift and often two shifts when I insist the need. This happens constantly but most noticeable when it shifts through three gears before I clear a left turn and have to give it a mash to continue accelerating. 25-45 steady speeds in medium traffic also gets the truck in comically confused straights.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
'15 Canyon. 44k My first 6sp auto and I've always found the frequency of the gear shifting to be annoying. Tends to put me in low rpms and without any guts so any pedal requires a shift and often two shifts when I insist the need. This happens constantly but most noticeable when it shifts through three gears before I clear a left turn and have to give it a mash to continue accelerating. 25-45 steady speeds in medium traffic also gets the truck in comically confused straights.
Welcome to the forum and I don't have a single problem with my trans but other people do. You can read multiple threads about shifting here. Anyhow, good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny, I find the transmission shifting to fit my driving style perfect. I however am not an aggressive driver. But if someone was to drive fairly aggressively I could see then feeling like the transmission is lazy. Its basically gm protecting people from themselves because driving habits affect mpg more then anything.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Funny, I find the transmission shifting to fit my driving style perfect. I however am not an aggressive driver. But if someone was to drive fairly aggressively I could see then feeling like the transmission is lazy. Its basically gm protecting people from themselves because driving habits affect mpg more then anything.
I believe it's the opposite. Light driving drives me crazy, but a lead foot makes this truck drive like butter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Ensure the dealer has applied all of the trans shifting ECU updates. If that doesn't fix the issues try a couple tanks of quality 93 octane. For me the higher octane makes a world of difference in drive-ability. Most of the time the truck will shift when desired. In some cases, on small hills, it won't shift immediately but instead of chugging like it does on 87 octane it will simply continue climbing the hill in the higher gear unless I give it a little more throttle. On 87 octane the truck will lug and chug until I get fed up and force a downshift (or 2) by mashing the pedal. I've ran enough tanks of 87,89 and 93 to observe these differences over and over in specific places on my commute. The higher octane also smooths out the idle to a large extent. I know we shouldn't HAVE to run anything higher than 87 but in my case, the truck just doesn't run well on it.

Next step is a Pedal Commander or a custom tune. I went the Pedal Commander route since 89 octane fixes most of my shifting issues and now I just want to get rid of the lazy throttle. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ensure the dealer has applied all of the trans shifting ECU updates. If that doesn't fix the issues try a couple tanks of quality 93 octane. For me the higher octane makes a world of difference in drive-ability. Most of the time the truck will shift was desired. In some cases, on small hills, it won't shift immediately but instead of chugging like it does on 87 octane it will simply continue climbing the hill in the higher gear unless I give it a little more throttle. On 87 octane the truck will lug and chug until I get fed up and force a downshift (or 2) by mashing the pedal. I've ran enough tanks of 87,89 and 93 to observe these differences over and over in specific places on my commute. The higher octane also smooths out the idle to a large extent. I know we shouldn't HAVE to run anything higher than 87 but in my case, the truck just doesn't run well on it.

Next step is a Pedal Commander or a custom tune. I went the Pedal Commander route since 89 octane fixes most of my shifting issues and now I just want to get rid of the lazy throttle. :)
This is some good stuff to consider! I'm having a checkup with my next oil change so I'll ask about the ECU update as well and switch from 89 to 93 and see what that does before considering the tune options. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.