Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a curiosity question. I’m a rather conservative driver not too often to I command more then 60% throttle. Anyone else running the 2.8 hard ?
Anyone see any benefits to the Italian tune up ?
Are you running stock ? Or tuned ? Intact or deleted ??
let the opinions roll.
I hear lots of guys say they run there diesels hard. Perhaps I’m too easy on her lol.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Probably less than once every 3,000 miles, and I still accelerate faster than most other cars.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
192 Posts
If you tow 5000 pounds or more, you should be at 100% load on any long grade on a highway.

Around town, even with just 180 hp it's going to be hard to hold 100% load for more than a half minute without exceeding any reasonable speed limit. My normal driving of pretty much every car almost never uses 100 pedal application unless I'm towing.

·
Registered
2016 White Z71 Duramax CCLB
60 Posts
Running “hard” has less to do with WOT and more to do with engine load at a given RPM. Making a quarter mile pass isn’t the same as towing a moderate load over a few hundred miles. Stead load with steady RPM, that’s how you keep an engine happy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Regularly, but usually when getting on on ramps or trying to pass.

Tuned, but I only turn it up if I really need the power. Otherwise it stays on level 1

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
My wife is WOM a lot.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
192 Posts
Fun little fact just if anyone is interested, in the diesel industry we don't say "wide open throttle" for obvious reasons. We typically say "100% load" or "Full Load", and if the driver is on the pedal (not cruise) we might say "100% pedal request".

The latter is a nuance, as sometimes the driver asks for 100% but the ECM won't deliver because of a derate, or because of smoke control. Then the driver gets 100% of what the computer will give him.

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My current situation leaves me towing about one ton once a month. I’ll be getting a camper this spring which will be a weekly tow of about 4800lbs
In daily driving I’m commanding 60% load for short duration while getting up to speed on the highway. Or the occasional red light racing...
I posted this thread as more of a general discussion on how others run there rigs to use as a litmus test for myself and for others.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Bone stock. I drive in the spirit of longevity. I don't enjoy driving a diesel fast, let alone a pickup. Driving a pickup is more Eagles than it is Metallica, IMO. Little diesels don't sound good at high RPM and the power isn't there anyway. I could tell I was getting into a lot of boost while towing heavy, but I trust the electronics to do the right thing there as to not damage the engine.

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even at my heavy footed 60% I rarely see 2800rpm.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The only time my truck sees WOT is sometimes when towing. Sometimes when accelerating to get on the freeway while towing, sometimes while climbing a mountain grade while towing, etc. The duration at WOT is usually minimal, but there were times in Colorado a couple of summers ago where I was at WOT for a good 10 minutes (heading down US-160 south over Wolf Creek Pass at 10,800ft, for example) and the truck did fine. By the time I neared the pass the speed limit dropped from 55 down to 45 and I was sitting somewhere between 45 and 50 MPH when I hit that point while towing our 5,000LB travel trailer.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 dmax
49 Posts
In town I'm not close to full load except some onramps. But when traveling through the mountains (CO/UT) I would frequently be pedal-to-floor with the topper and a bed full of camping/climbing gear.

So far everything has been peachy, and stock for now. However the tires are 265/70 and I feel it lost a bit of pep. I have 4.10's on the way and will be ordering a tune after the holidays.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you don't really need WOT to get most of the power out of these trucks, I enjoy hyper miling it just because it gets incredible milage and i have a car for driving fast but when i do feel like crushing someone off a stop light 85% is all you need. any more and you'll just spin the tires then bog. as far as towing, on steeper grades if you want to run over 65mph you'll be pretty far into the throttle, i keep my trans temp displayed while towing and sort of use that as my gauge for if i should lighten up, but if you take advantage of those downhills you can keep the temps relatively low. i am thinking about adding another trans cooler though, the fans don't come on the stock one till some ridiculous temp i can't remember i wonder if that can be adjusted with a tune.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts