Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2019 1500's dimensions grew again. (I am not complaining my friends, just an observation).
When do you think the "bigger" "taller" "wider" will end? Do you think this is the line where people start buying more mid size pickups? I hear quite a few owners of the latest chevy's stating they have trouble with the size from time to time.

Personally, I thought "this is as big as the 1/2 ton pickups will ever get"......almost a decade ago.

·
Registered
484 Posts
More and more pickup guys I know are converting to mid-sized trucks because of size and mpg. I was sitting at a stoplight the other day next to an extended cab Silverado probably 2000 or so. I was sitting taller than him and I just have the 1.25" level kit in the front. 300+hp, 275+lbs torque, and 7000lb towing capacity is enough for 95% of personal truck owners in 2018. Unless you're a farmer or towing a large boat/trailer there is NO REASON to get a full sized truck. My Colorado can do everything that 2000 Silverado could do and more.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have no idea.
I had a 1995 S-10 Extended Cab back in college with the 2.2L / 5 speed manual.
After graduation when I had my first "real job" I bought a 2003 Silverado ECSB, man that thing felt cavernous.
Next I bought a 2009 Sierra ECSB, I was amazed that it was even bigger. I lifted this truck and made it grow even more.
Eventually there came a time that I didn't need "that much truck" anymore. That is when I started looking at the twins. I am very pleased with the size. I am married with no kids (and no plans for any) and 2 dogs. I have plenty of towing capacity (more than my V8 Silverado) and horsepower (again, more than my Silverado) and the interior room is sufficient for my 6'1" frame.
I laugh at some of the guys at my old hunting lease that insist that they "need a 3/4 ton diesel" when half the time I was the one that got stuck hauling the tractor when it was time for food plots. This truck might be pushing hauling a 40hp Kubota, but in reality this Colorado is even capable...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have no idea.
I had a 1995 S-10 Extended Cab back in college with the 2.2L / 5 speed manual.
After graduation when I had my first "real job" I bought a 2003 Silverado ECSB, man that thing felt cavernous.
Next I bought a 2009 Sierra ECSB, I was amazed that it was even bigger. I lifted this truck and made it grow even more.
Eventually there came a time that I didn't need "that much truck" anymore. That is when I started looking at the twins. I am very pleased with the size. I am married with no kids (and no plans for any) and 2 dogs. I have plenty of towing capacity (more than my V8 Silverado) and horsepower (again, more than my Silverado) and the interior room is sufficient for my 6'1" frame.
I laugh at some of the guys at my old hunting lease that insist that they "need a 3/4 ton diesel" when half the time I was the one that got stuck hauling the tractor when it was time for food plots. This truck might be pushing hauling a 40hp Kubota, but in reality this Colorado is even capable...
Sounds like my dad. He refuses to buy a truck that's not at least a half ton and has to have a V8. Nevermind that my Colorado has a quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile time than his truck.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It is critically important to me that I am able to park my truck in my garage. I am not interested in leaving a nice shiny new $40,000 vehicle outside in the heat, sun and freezing cold of Colorado. A FS truck is too big to make it past my garage's overhead door. My Canyon makes it by a few inches on each side and the antenna just clears also. I did get the CCLB, lengthwise it just fits - measured my garage several times before I bought the truck to make sure it would fit.

I have the diesel with a tune, it pulls like a moose and will easily tow anything I am interested in towing. Let the FS trucks get bigger. I hope the makers have the wisdom to not let the bloat infect the mid size trucks any further, or they are going to have to create a new class of small truck. In the unlikely event that happens, they will inevitably be lame unibody CUV based things that make a Ridgeline appear manly :laugh:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right on all accounts. I bet most truck buyers don't even know how big of a trailer load 7,000lbs really is. Even the big bass boats are what, 4000lbs? At our local lake, you see Jon boat trailers hooked up to 1-Ton's. It's pretty awesome. I mean, I get it though, big diesel trucks are pretty durn cool.

I think we will mid size's more and more popular. Especially now that they are loosing that "economy car" vibe.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For me, my ZR2 is past the limit of how big I want. I'd be much happier if it was 6" narrower, and my eyes were 24" closer to the front bumper. The amount of space in the engine compartment is ridiculous - you could stuff a 6.7l Cummins in there.

The ZR2 ticked my must have boxes, thus the compromise on it's size.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Big trucks are very comfortable and come with V8 engines so not a bad thing at all. BUT, I really don't want to try and park that thing anywhere including my garage.

Is my new truck really so much bigger than my old 1st gen Colorado? It sure looks like it. Like someone else said, I hope they stop growing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds like my dad. He refuses to buy a truck that's not at least a half ton and has to have a V8. Nevermind that my Colorado has a quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile time than his truck.
The V8 in a truck is for torque, not drag racing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Concerning MPG...My daughter's 2015 Ram Crew Cab short box has the 5.7 L Hemi and gets a very respectable 19+ MPG local driving. I find that amazing since my 2016 Colorado Crew Cab Short box 3.6 V6 is getting 18 MPG local driving.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The V8 in a truck is for torque, not drag racing.
My wife always used to ask why anyone needs a bigger engine. When we got behind a Geo Tracker, I said because if you put that engine in a bigger vehicle, it would be even slower. She likes to drive fast, but doesn't think a bigger engine is worth the upgrade. She drove my old 305 Sierra a few times when I had it. It was old and beat to crap, but it was originally rated at 270 ft-lb. When I got the Colorado with a 2.5L, it has more an extra 30 hp but is down about 80 ft-lb. She drove it the first time and told me "This thing is slow. Next time, get the V6 or even the V8." If only I had let her drive the 2.7L Tacoma that I test drove a week before. That thing was sloooow. I guess she had the expectation that a truck should feel stronger, even if it isn't really fast. I've adjusted my driving style a bit to suit the reality of the situation. It really does feel more like a compact crossover than a classic fullsize truck when it comes to power - it has to be revved.

What's interesting to me is that her RAV4 hybrid isn't much faster as far as 0-60 times, but the electric motors (1 for the front axle, 1 for the rear axle) sure make it feel a lot stronger on the low end. Yes, she can (and has) beat me away from stop lights, but not by a whole lot.

As far as size, I love the length and height of my truck. Sometimes I do wish there were 4 more inches between the wheelwells. It sure would make it easier to fit our riding mower in the bed. Then again, it would be almost identical in size to the GMT400 at that point. I realized a couple of years ago that trucks around that age were about the perfect size for me.

One last comment on size. My grandparents had an '89 Suburban when I was in high school. They could just barely fit it in their garage with the mirrors folded, and you could only open the driver's side doors while it was in there. My parents now live in that house, and I put my Colorado in the garage last year while installing LED lights under the bed rails while it was raining. I backed it into the garage, and it just barely fit, lengthwise. I had to pull forward in order to drop the tailgate, so I couldn't close the garage door if I had wanted to. I never would have imagined that a "small" pickup would be every bit as large as an old square body Suburban. It sure is more maneuverable than the old fullsize trucks, though.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Is my new truck really so much bigger than my old 1st gen Colorado? It sure looks like it. Like someone else said, I hope they stop growing.
You bet your ass its bigger. Here is my 2005 next to my 2016.

My son (who now owns the 2005) with me on the day I got my '16

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's a good-looking pair of trucks there. I saw a 1st generation regular cab, short bed with a nice lift on it the other day. It was one bad-ass truck, but then I noticed it had a bit of Cali lean. If they had lifted the rear another couple of inches, it would have looked even better.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I joke that mine is the size of a FS, and when someone says 'ya, OK'
I show pics and go 'ya, OK'
:rofl

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
The math was easy for me. Like Duken4evr mentioned above, it had to fit in my garage. I also wanted 4 doors. That pretty much meant either a twin, a taco, a frontier or the Honda. Used Honda prices were too high, the Frontier is under powered and hasn't been refreshed in a while. I only fit in a Tacoma if it doesn't have a sun roof. Any package option on a Tacoma included a sun roof EXCEPT their 'TRD PRO' and it is way overpriced. One of the twins was the best option. I watched for a deal and picked it up used. It's a great truck. Plenty of power, enough room in the bed, roomy enough in the cab. I really hope they don't grow it in the next model generation. Although I think my next purchase will the the Jeep Trackhawk. It looks like a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts