Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering buying a used one, but I was wondering if any one happened to know how many miles you can expect to get out of these before the engine needs to be rebuilt? Sorry to ask a question that's probably been asked multiple times.
Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
no problem. mine has 88,600 miles and i expect it to last up to 200,000. maybe even a million...lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had estimated around 200,000 which is pretty good I guess. But if you could actually get yours up to a million, well that would be something.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Nobody's figured out how many you get out out of one under normal conditions, at least not that I'm aware of.

Everyone who has had major engine problems (resulting in the engine either blowing or becoming locked up) has done so while doing something extreme, as far as I know.

I'm at 107K miles and still going strong :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
My S-10 went 130,000 miles before I traded it in. My Colorado currently has close to 75,000.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
HowNowBrownCow said:
thats good to know^ is that an I5? and have u had any major issues?
Yep, I5 with the automatic.

Only maintenance I've had to do thusfar was replace an evap solenoid in the fuel system a few thousand miles ago, and I've got a CEL right now saying one of my O2 sensors is bad, but its 5 degrees out, so that's gonna stay that way for a bit.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I'm above 82k and plan on keeping it until it gets too expensive to keep fixing. I'm shooting for 300k+.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Since its an incline motor, you can crank out some serious miles. Much like a jeep cherokee, those things get upwards of 300-350K no problem as long as you take care of it.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
bigtex said:
Since its an incline motor, you can crank out some serious miles. Much like a jeep cherokee, those things get upwards of 300-350K no problem as long as you take care of it.
Same can be true for a V engine as well, though. Look at Chevy's V8 in the fullsize trucks and the 4.3L in the S-trucks. Both pretty notorious for longevity.

Its more in how you take care of it than it is the engine's general configuration. If you took care of a W engine, I bet you could get that up there, too....just requires care, routine service and enough common sense to not beat on it if you don't want to risk breaking it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm hoping to get 1,000,000+ out of mine :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
On the negative, my last in line engine was a 4.2l 6 cylinder on a Jeep. With 135 K miles on it spark plugs were only good for 200 milles before it would stop running. Given the number of head problems on Colorados I would take 110 K miles added to the mileage the head was replaced or 110 K miles if never replaced. Going to the wrong dealer (like the one that outright told me 150 K miles were too many before they destroyed my Blazer) will hurt your longevity.

On the positive, an Oldsmobile (my first GM vehicle) was running strong with 175 K miles when I sold it. I love the way that for the most part GM just plain works. If you find the right shop to take care of it and you take care of it, triple digit thousands are a certainty. btw my brother's 89 S10 has 296 K miles and still runs OK. He is looking forward to a gold watch from GM at 300 K.

·
Registered
152 Posts
43,000 miles now and 250,000 more needed to top my '89 S10 4.3. Hope the body holds up better than the '89.

·
Registered
816 Posts
my Taurus SHO has 180K+ miles on her. Still wooping up on hondas, in between repairs lol. the old acronym rings true.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sparky87 said:
I'm hoping to get 1,000,000+ out of mine :p
Seeing from your sig sparky.......might be a little short of that mark....lol!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts