Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken notice if i'm driving at say 50 mph and just holding steady... I look at the tach and it goes up and down like 1500 to 2000 and back and forth you can also here the engine adjust so its not just the gauge. also if im at this speed and come to a hill it seems i must press the pedal down very far to maintain speed or even down shift anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
558 Posts
stop driving in overdrive at lower speeds, i only kick it into D at about 55. otherwise i just use it in 3.

the trans doesnt need to shift like that all the time. it probably will decrease the life of the torque converter or trans.

·
Registered
88 Posts
HowNowBrownCow said:
stop driving in overdrive at lower speeds, i only kick it into D at about 55. otherwise i just use it in 3.

the trans doesnt need to shift like that all the time. it probably will decrease the life of the torque converter or trans.
There is no O.D. in any Colorado automatic. Should be in drive all the time except low traction or towing under some circumstances.

·
Registered
88 Posts
HowNowBrownCow said:
D is the over drive man. 1 and 2 are for low speeds or off road. but 3 is perfectly fine for cruising around at under 50 mph.
Relax man: There is no O.D. IN Colorado autos. Colorado autos are 4 speed with 4th gear at approx. 1.00:1.00. The 5 speeds standards use 5th as O.D.. Driving around in 3rd in an auto just wastes gas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
bignugly said:
HowNowBrownCow said:
D is the over drive man. 1 and 2 are for low speeds or off road. but 3 is perfectly fine for cruising around at under 50 mph.
Relax man: There is no O.D. IN Colorado autos. Colorado autos are 4 speed with 4th gear at approx. 1.00:1.00. The 5 speeds standards use 5th as O.D.. Driving around in 3rd in an auto just wastes gas.
After some looking around I may have to retract my "no O.D." statements.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

not shift... it stays it the same gear just like the engine revs like 500 rpms up and down if you watch the guage you can see it move like RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr lol

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
That is the torque converter locking and unlocking.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i beleive a couple of guys from canada had this issue a while back and after a major fight with GM, GM still said it was normal....

·
Registered
558 Posts
on a flat, straight road at 50 my truck will be fine in D. but where i am there are a lot of curvy and hilly roads, so i use 3 so it doesnt wander. both my 3.4 liter auto 4x4 toyotas where the same way.

i only really put it into D while on the highway driving 50+ mph.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Didn't Burn have this problem or something? They told him it had something to do with the knock sensor retarding timing and causing it to downshift constantly or some crap lol?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That's my one and only complaint with my truck. My doesn't wonder so much, but it really needs a 5th gear.
I wanted an automatic not a manual and it does OK, but at about 50 or so on level road it's "lugging" the engine and really wants another gear.

·
Registered
95 Posts
just mash down on the gas :lol: :lol: and your problem goes away

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I noticed the torque converter locking and unlocking on my first highway trip with this truck. I found that if I drive about 10Km/h faster the problem goes away.(and long boreing highway trips are over a tiny bit sooner as well)

In hind sight, I wish I would have ordered the 4.10 gear ratio to go with these giant balloon tires that come on the Z71. I came from a Z85 Sonoma with a 3.73 so I just stuck with a 3.73 without really thinking about it when I ordered the Canyon. Now I think that the 4.10 gear set would put the revs more in their sweet spot at my usual highway cruiseing speed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My truck does the same thing Ill be crusing about 70 and come up to a hill and start to loose speed then it kicks out of OD and the rpms shoot up about 500,therefor dinking more gas, it drives me up the wall :evil: It also does it on very windy days which weve been haveing here lately.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts