Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mine was pretty good for a few thousand miles after the flush but I am starting to get more hard shifts. We have only been in the upper 90's so maybe it is a cold problem. I do get it even after a 300 mile none stop drive so I am not sure. I wish it would just break and be done.
I get it...this was the second flush on mine...first one was from the previous owner about 1500 miles ago...I still have almost a couple years left on the power train warranty plus an aftermarket bumper to bumper for 5 more years. If it doesn’t go away completely they’ll have to do something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
"The flush" is not the current TSB. Its a fluid exchange now with a new fluid and very specific procedure. Very different from the fluid/method used during the ineffective "flushes" or "triple flushes", the previous TSB called for. Which was some kind of "triple flush" that proved ineffective, using the same faulty trans fluid.

Get the latest TSB performed on your truck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does anyone know who much this service would cost if you were past the warranty and had a good mechanic do it Thanks Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the transmission flush done at the dealership today under warranty and the service guy said “a couple hundred miles and it should be gone” after the flush. It’s weirding me out because I haven’t heard anyone say that. Keep in mind, this was the desk guy saying this, not the tech....

with mine at 30,000 miles the did a flush and a tork converter and it took less then 100 mile for it to stop. and it be 3000 mile after they done this and have no more issues

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine was the current TSB. I printed and took it to them when they did it. I don't know if I had shudder but have always had these hard shifts. Especially 1st to 2nd but I get hard 8-7th about 85 MPH with cruse when climbing a hill.

Reactions: ukdal1

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
with mine at 30,000 miles the did a flush and a tork converter and it took less then 100 mile for it to stop. and it be 3000 mile after they done this and have no more issues
My concern is that after a couple hundred miles it won’t be gone and that I’ll have to go back in to have the torque converter replaced as well. Time will tell...

·
Registered
91 Posts
My concern is that after a couple hundred miles it won’t be gone and that I’ll have to go back in to have the torque converter replaced as well. Time will tell...

This is where I’m at with my ‘19 zr2. I experienced the shudder at under 1k miles on my truck and it had over 10k on it by the time the latest tsb to fix it came out. I’m at 19k miles now and while the shudder is less frequent it’s made 1-2/2-1 shifts worse than ever before. I honestly feel like I’m being rear ended when coming to a stop and the shift lag from 1-2 is so terrible that i feel like i need to stomp the gas just to get this stupid thing up and out of its own way.

So yeah... my truck will be going back to the dealer eventually, though honestly I wish the damn thing would just break down and be done with it. If i keep having issues like this the truck is going down the road and I’ll move onto another midsize platform.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is where I’m at with my ‘19 zr2. I experienced the shudder at under 1k miles on my truck and it had over 10k on it by the time the latest tsb to fix it came out. I’m at 19k miles now and while the shudder is less frequent it’s made 1-2/2-1 shifts worse than ever before. I honestly feel like I’m being rear ended when coming to a stop and the shift lag from 1-2 is so terrible that i feel like i need to stomp the gas just to get this stupid thing up and out of its own way.

So yeah... my truck will be going back to the dealer eventually, though honestly I wish the damn thing would just break down and be done with it. If i keep having issues like this the truck is going down the road and I’ll move onto another midsize platform.

It just blows my mind that this is still a problem with these transmissions. They really dropped the ball and are somewhat refusing to take responsibility for it. After I get done with this truck I’ll probably start buying some old vehicles and fixing them up again. Used to have a 93 Chevy 1500 I that I sold before this truck and it had zero problems. Guess they made them better back then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It just blows my mind that this is still a problem with these transmissions. They really dropped the ball and are somewhat refusing to take responsibility for it. After I get done with this truck I’ll probably start buying some old vehicles and fixing them up again. Used to have a 93 Chevy 1500 I that I sold before this truck and it had zero problems. Guess they made them better back then.

Don’t get me wrong- I love nearly every aspect of this truck but whoever designed and then green lit this engine/trans combo for production should be beaten with rubber hoses. It’s literally the worst driveline combo I’ve ever had. There are honestly some days that it makes me wish i kept my Jeep because despite it being outdated the 5 speed in that thing never gave me a lick of trouble.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Don’t get me wrong- I love nearly every aspect of this truck but whoever designed and then green lit this engine/trans combo for production should be beaten with rubber hoses. It’s literally the worst driveline combo I’ve ever had. There are honestly some days that it makes me wish i kept my Jeep because despite it being outdated the 5 speed in that thing never gave me a lick of trouble.

Me too...it’s just a sharp truck and all the amenities that you can get on one are incredible , but it just seems like one of those things where simpler is better and the addition of a new 8 speed transmission just seems like it may have been a stretch to compete or something. If it worked the way it should it would be incredible, but many of us haven’t had that luck unfortunately.

·
Registered
805 Posts

It's not just this engine/drivetrain combination the same 8 speed is used on other GM vehicles with different engines so the transmission can have the same problem if not changed to the new fluid which not everyone but most has solved the shutter problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's not just this engine/drivetrain combination the same 8 speed is used on other GM vehicles with different engines so the transmission can have the same problem if not changed to the new fluid which not everyone but most has solved the shutter problem.
I’m well aware it’s used on other gm vehicles and has been since 2015 i believe. I’m just making the comment in general that this combo is a poor choice for a truck and that 0 thought went into field and durability testing it.

I also think it’s way too premature to declare that this fluid exchange has fixed the problem with these 8 speeds. The new fluid and machine to perform the change have been around for less than a year. I doubt the sample size of vehicles that have had the service performed and have racked up significant miles is very large. So to me there’s no actual proof that anything is actually fixed for the long haul.

·
Registered
805 Posts
All I know is the percentage of those with the shutter the new fluid change has solved the problem (some also needed torque converter replaced) It's not 100% but damn close to it. Long term? Not losing any sleep over that. Thats like just waiting for something that has been fixed to fail cause your just sure it will so you can say "told you so" The positive approach is if something is fixed or replaced and everything seems now ok then it is. And if should fail down the road in this case you have factory warranty and powertrain warranty to take care of it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
We had the change to the new fluid at 17,000 miles under the TSB in July 2019. Never noticed any shudder ever, but took it in and service guy had the fluid changed no questions asked or test drives done. It does have a hard 1 - 2 shift usually only the first shift of the day and occasionally (rarely) after warm up which is still present.
There is now 23,000 miles on it and still no shudder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I just picked up my 2018 ZR2. On the way back to work drove it on the highway and it is so nice to drive and no longer have that shudder. It seems to be fixed for now. Time will tell whether it is long lasting.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts