Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having the transmission flush done at the dealership today under warranty and the service guy said “a couple hundred miles and it should be gone” after the flush. It’s weirding me out because I haven’t heard anyone say that. Keep in mind, this was the desk guy saying this, not the tech....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine was gone right away both times I had it flushed. The first time they didn't say anything like that. The second, which was only a couple weeks ago, they said to go a couple hundred to make sure it didn't come back. They said if it did to let them know.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: ukdal1

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Mine was gone at the start but it was not a major shudder to start.

I have seen other say few hundred miles to 1200 Miles.

My hard 1-2 shift got better 1200 miles

From what I have read the new fluid should reclaim the glazed clutch that is doing the shudder. In limited cases if it does not go they replace the converter.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
This is another case of a title that really needs some work.

A stranger reading this thread's title would wonder if this was a sight dedicated to plumbers who drive GM Colorado Trucks, a pretty unique set of people.

Reactions: ukdal1

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: So, just picked up my truck and noticed and IMMEDIATE difference in the shifting. I mean like night and day!! The random clunky shifts are gone, the stutter while cruising in 8th has almost completely disappeared and the clunky shift (especially the frequent big one from 1st to 2nd) and the shudder when slowing down to a stop is gone. I can’t believe it...I was genuinely worried that something was bad wrong and they’d have to replace the torque converter or something. It wasn’t really bad to begin with but it was definitely noticeable and worrisome given the history with these trucks.

Thanks to everyone that has replied and alleviated some of my fears. The guy said that I would notice an immediate difference and and after about 200 miles it would be completely fine. Also, he said that after the second flush he hasn’t seen one come back so that is definitely some good news!

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is another case of a title that really needs some work.

A stranger reading this thread's title would wonder if this was a sight dedicated to plumbers who drive GM Colorado Trucks, a pretty unique set of people.
There, I fixed it for you lol

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Congrats. I think my shifting got better with miles as the computer adjusted to it. Today The shift issue Is felt only in really cold days and on t first shift. That May just be due to the fast warm up feature on today’s engines.

But like I said it did feel good the day I picked it up.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats. I think my shifting got better with miles as the computer adjusted to it. Today The shift issue Is felt only in really cold days and on t first shift. That May just be due to the fast warm up feature on today’s engines.

But like I said it did feel good the day I picked it up.
Thanks...I had a heck of a time getting it done to begin with. Long story short one dealership wouldn’t do it without keeping it for a few days and hooking it up to the PicoScope. Called another dealership while Collie was at the first and they said they would do it. Took another week to get in, but it was definitely worth it. My hope is that if it’s doing this well right off the bat, hopefully I won’t have more issues as this was the second overall flush. It wasn’t awful or anything to begin with (just noticeable), but I knew it wouldn’t get better on its own.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Update: So, just picked up my truck and noticed and IMMEDIATE difference in the shifting. I mean like night and day!! The random clunky shifts are gone, the stutter while cruising in 8th has almost completely disappeared and the clunky shift (especially the frequent big one from 1st to 2nd) and the shudder when slowing down to a stop is gone. I can’t believe it...I was genuinely worried that something was bad wrong and they’d have to replace the torque converter or something. It wasn’t really bad to begin with but it was definitely noticeable and worrisome given the history with these trucks.

Thanks to everyone that has replied and alleviated some of my fears. The guy said that I would notice an immediate difference and and after about 200 miles it would be completely fine. Also, he said that after the second flush he hasn’t seen one come back so that is definitely some good news!

When they did mine back in April 19 it was resolved immediately. I did only have 750 miles on the truck, noticed it at 500 miles. The shifting did seem to be smoother as well. Just glad that super annoying shudder was and is still gone.

I had never heard of and don't think the shudder was ever the cause of a vibration or anything while "slowing down to a stop" though. Whatever the case you are happy with it and that's the big thing.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When they did mine back in April 19 it was resolved immediately. I did only have 750 miles on the truck, noticed it at 500 miles. The shifting did seem to be smother as well. Just glad that super annoying shudder was and is still gone.

I had never heard of and don't think the shudder was ever the cause of a vibration or anything while "slowing down to a stop" though. Whatever the case you are happy with it and that's the big thing.
I literally just bought the truck last month and everything was great until I had it about 3 weeks and all the sudden this stuff started. At first I thought the slowing down thing was bumpy pavement or maybe the rotors, but it ALWAYS happened when the transmission was downshifting from 2nd to 1st when all this weird stuff started. It was like from 5mph to 0 it felt like you were running over rows of pencils or something. I know that sounds weird lol, but it is gone and that makes me happy

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Thanks...I had a heck of a time getting it done to begin with. Long story short one dealership wouldn’t do it without keeping it for a few days and hooking it up to the PicoScope. Called another dealership while Collie was at the first and they said they would do it. Took another week to get in, but it was definitely worth it. My hope is that if it’s doing this well right off the bat, hopefully I won’t have more issues as this was the second overall flush. It wasn’t awful or anything to begin with (just noticeable), but I knew it wouldn’t get better on its own.

I have no idea why some dealers put customers through this. GM clearly states to take care of it some still go by the old TSB requiring the test.

Mine was just barely noticeable but it would be a matter of time.

My dealer set up the appointment a week after I called and had it done in a couple hours. No fuss no hassle.

Mine has been done over a year ago and all is still great.

For anyone having trouble at one dealer try another here is proof you are not stuck with a bad dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 extended cab long box.
14 Posts
I had mine done today and the service guy said 250 miles, but when they test drove it after the flush, they didn’t hear or feel it anymore. I had a short trip home and I didn’t experience it either.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What is this issue? What model year does it apply to? Is it only the eight speed or does it affect the six speed diesel as well?
Only the 8 speed v6 as far as I know. The others it doesn’t affect. That 8 speed has that trouble in Multiple GM vehicles as well

·
Registered
380 Posts
Instantly... The TCM learning shouldn’t effect if the issue happens or not.

I simply had a dump and refill and it fixed the issue. With a flush there should be no ambiguity.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado LT, Satin Steel Metallic
15 Posts
Is this something that needs to be done on all Colorados? I have a new 2020 with 2000 miles on it. I haven't experienced what's going on above but I do get a bit of a violent 1st shift when leaving for work in the morning sometimes.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 extended cab long box.
14 Posts
Is this something that needs to be done on all Colorados? I have a new 2020 with 2000 miles on it. I haven't experienced what's going on above but I do get a bit of a violent 1st shift when leaving for work in the morning sometimes.
You should have the correct fluid in your 2020 so you are good to go!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine was pretty good for a few thousand miles after the flush but I am starting to get more hard shifts. We have only been in the upper 90's so maybe it is a cold problem. I do get it even after a 300 mile none stop drive so I am not sure. I wish it would just break and be done.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts