Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to take over a lease on a 2017 chevy colorado z71 and I'm wondering how good the stock Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires are in the snow? My wife and I live in the Boston area and we frequently go up to Vermont and other places to go skiing. I know the truck has 4x4 and the tread pattern seems pretty solid but curious what the collective group says. Do I need to invest in a pair of winter tires/wheels?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The duratracs are DOT triple peak snowflake rated. This means where chains are required on some mountain pass checkpoints, you don’t need them, they perform well enough to pass the DOT severe snow and ice tests. I’ve ran them on many different weight and size trucks through northern Michigan winters and they’re my favorite truck snow tire by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The duratracs are DOT triple peak snowflake rated. This means where chains are required on some mountain pass checkpoints, you don’t need them, they perform well enough to pass the DOT severe snow and ice tests. I’ve ran them on many different weight and size trucks through northern Michigan winters and they’re my favorite truck snow tire by far.

You are a wealth of information. Thanks for the tire update. I am planning to run my stock 2017 Z71 tires in Maine this winter. I've only used my 4WD a couple of times since I bought my truck and been impressed with how well they eat up the off road areas I've traveled. I expect I'll be pleased with my results for using them for my first winter in VACATION LAND!

BTW - I've driven in Boston's winters before. It's not the snow that is a problem. It's all the traffic!

Gusto!

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
169 Posts
From the Goodyear site they don't even make that tire to fit the stock Z71. Does the Midnight Edition have different size wheels?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
From the Goodyear site they don't even make that tire to fit the stock Z71. Does the Midnight Edition have different size wheels?

The midnight edition uses 17x8 black painted wheels with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires in a 265/65/17. The stock Z71 tires are a Wrangler Adventure w/Kevlar in a 255/65/17 on a 17 x 8 wheel.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The Duratracs only came as OE equipment on the Midnight Edition package and the ZR2. If you have a regular Z71 then you probably have the Wrangler Adventure w/Kevlar. They are pretty different so its good to verify what you have while asking for opinions. :)

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

So after seeing the attached post I went and checked my actual 2017 Z71 tires. My truck has the Wrangles Adventure w/Kevlar. Thanks for the link for both tires. I went and watched the videos associated for each tire. Read many of the reviews. On the Duratracs 2.5% reviewers gave it a one star rating. The Wrangler Adventure came in at 4.1% giving the tire a one star review. As always, you need to consider most folks who are happy with their purchase never write a review. Some of the negative reviews are about service not quality of tire. The positive reviews all said the things you'd hope to hear.

After driving a front wheel drive Toyota Matrix last winter my 4X4 Colorado has to be an improvement in the snow .............. one would hope. Not looking forward to the snow. But I am looking forward to a much safer experience than last year. Hopefully no more white knuckle drives home in nasty weather.

Gusto!

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
The Trail Boss package also had the Duratracs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Agreed but they didn't offer the TB in 2017 I don't think.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Agreed but they didn't offer the TB in 2017 I don't think.
It has been an option since 2015. There was just no lightbar then. Really it was the Duratracs, fender flares, and black bowties that made up the Trailboss for 2015. Was much cheaper just to make those mods yourself.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the stock GY Adventure AT tires on my Z71. last year here in Oregon we had one of the hardest hit winters in the lowlands that we have had in years. Ice and snow everywhere for awhile. more than normal. I had NO trouble with these tires and they are not a Mountain Snowflake tire but they did great. It is also the added fact of Auto 4wd on in the snow and ice. no sliding or loss of grip. drove up to the mountain a few times too and no problems. This truck does great with them and Auto 4wd. you shouldnt have a problem

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm heading into my 3rd winter with the Wrangler Adventure. I have had no issues with snow including off-road on frozen snow covered lakes while ice fishing.

Reactions: John Fedak

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Does anybody put weight in the box during winter to improve traction?

Good question. Here in Maine I've talked to many truck owners about this. Many do and many don't. I don't have a breakdown as far as a % of those who do vs don't. But what's interesting, they ALL think their method is the best.

Gus

·
Registered
155 Posts
For standard snow amounts they are fine (<6"), deeper, drifting snow you will need a set of chains. My road frequently drifts and I have to put the hammer down to get through. I wish they had a little more "bite", but that is a function of the tighter tread pattern vs. a MT Tire.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Does anybody put weight in the box during winter to improve traction?
Good question. Here in Maine I've talked to many truck owners about this. Many do and many don't. I don't have a breakdown as far as a % of those who do vs don't. But what's interesting, they ALL think their method is the best.

Gus
Not that last winter was all that bad around MA/NH but I started out without weight in the bed. Ended up putting sand bags ~380lbs halfway through and it made a huge difference. Before if I didn't clear the driveway, with just a slight incline, I would have to put it into 4wd to get up from the rear slipping around. After the sand bags I had no problem in just 2wd.
Most home improvement stores sell 50-60 lb bags of play/general purpose sand or the 60lb tubes of sand made for it, though the tubes tend to rip easier. Plus you have the benefit of having traction aid if you really need it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it rides a bit better with some weight in the rear too!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not that last winter was all that bad around MA/NH but I started out without weight in the bed. Ended up putting sand bags ~380lbs halfway through and it made a huge difference. Before if I didn't clear the driveway, with just a slight incline, I would have to put it into 4wd to get up from the rear slipping around. After the sand bags I had no problem in just 2wd.
Most home improvement stores sell 50-60 lb bags of play/general purpose sand or the 60lb tubes of sand made for it, though the tubes tend to rip easier. Plus you have the benefit of having traction aid if you really need it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it rides a bit better with some weight in the rear too!

Exactly this. I would put 400-500lbs right at the tailgate in my 06 2500hd duramax. Up here in out in the country in northern Michigan, I would almost never have to use 4x4. I think I’m gonna try ~200 lbs for the ZR2 this winter.

·
Read Only
76 Posts
Good Discussion on these!

I am in the same type boat and have been looking, as my Malventure AT's w/Kevlar are dead at 30K, and I'll need new shoes before winter.

My Frontier had Cooper AT3's and I really liked them. My wifes Xterra just got a set of those in 265/65-17 for $680 including tax- ya can't beat that price. However we have dedicated 16 inch rim and snows for her- 3 mile descent and 3 mile ascent just to go anywhere.

I was planning on getting AT3's in 265/65-17 for my Z71, as Dueler AT Revos did not last on the Xterra, and I've never had a good lasting Goodyear tire. However- I keep reading where folks have high praise for the Duratrack's and even the Firestone AT's. Granted- I'd be spending much more than $700 for either of those too.

Chris

·
Registered
407 Posts
Good Discussion on these!

I am in the same type boat and have been looking, as my Malventure AT's w/Kevlar are dead at 30K, and I'll need new shoes before winter.

My Frontier had Cooper AT3's and I really liked them. My wifes Xterra just got a set of those in 265/65-17 for $680 including tax- ya can't beat that price. However we have dedicated 16 inch rim and snows for her- 3 mile descent and 3 mile ascent just to go anywhere.

I was planning on getting AT3's in 265/65-17 for my Z71, as Dueler AT Revos did not last on the Xterra, and I've never had a good lasting Goodyear tire. However- I keep reading where folks have high praise for the Duratrack's and even the Firestone AT's. Granted- I'd be spending much more than $700 for either of those too.

Chris
I've ran the Cooper and the Firestone on my old explorer. Both good. Those Firestone destination ATs are great mild AT tires and kick ass in the snow. I had maybe 20% tread left and slid off an embankment to the point I almost tipped. I had people stand on the top edge to add weight and I drove down off the ledge and through a foot of snow in someone's yard without getting stuck. Also suprisingly good in mud.

I can't comment on life as the explorer chewed tires up in 25k no matter the tire.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.