Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
i would like to know as well. when i get my new offroad wheels and tires i guess ill have to deal with the tpms somehow.

hopefully u can just transfer them over to the new wheels, but im not sure as i have never changed tires on a vehicle with a tpms system.

·
Registered
566 Posts
From Wikipedia - Google "Tire Pressure Monitoring System"

Types

Direct
Direct TPMS delivers real time tire pressure information to the driver of the vehicle - either via a gauge or a simple low pressure warning light. These systems employ physical pressure sensors inside each tire and a means of sending that information from inside the tire to the vehicle instrument cluster.....

Indirect
Indirect TPMS measures the air pressure indirectly by monitoring individual wheel speeds and other signals available in the vehicle. Most indirect TPMS uses the fact that an under-inflated tire has a slightly smaller diameter than a correctly inflated tire and therefore has to rotate more times to cover a specific distance to detect under-inflation. Such TPMS can detect under-inflation in up to three tires simultaneously but not in all four since the operating principle of these systems is to compare the different wheel speeds and if all four tires lose the same amount of air the relative change will be zero. Newer developments of indirect TPMS can also detect simultaneous under-inflation in all four tires thanks to vibration analysis of individual wheels or analysis of load shift effects during acceleration and/or cornering. Indirect TPMS is cheap and easy to implement since most modern vehicles already have wheel speed sensors for anti-lock braking systems and electronic stability control systems. The disadvantage is that they rely on the user resetting the system by pushing a "Calibration Button" when the tires are changed or re-inflated—forgetting to perform this initialization leads to potentially dangerous false or missing alerts. Another disadvantage of indirect TPMS is that if the Calibration Reset Button is pressed when one or more tires are under-inflated then the system accepts this under-inflation as normal and the driver will be unaware of potentially dangerous tire pressures.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Back to the original question How does the sensor send the info (Power Source)

Are we responsible for changing a battery in the tire, "I can see it now, asking discount tire, auh I think I need my batteries changed in my tires" and then the priceless look on their face"

·
Registered
630 Posts
There is a battery in them which is not servicable (tpms valve / sensor has sealed electrical circuit attached to the valve stem). So when the battery eventually dies you will have to purchase a new tpms valve / sensor.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
what is the life of the sensor, I'm sure the summer and driving heat will have some effect on the life.

Has anybody had to replace one and how much did it cost you.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I believe they use a lithium ion battery that should be good for about 10 years. You can't replace the battery only the whole unit.

·
Registered
630 Posts
TPMS sensors will vary in price around here I'd say they start around $50.00 each +++.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well, I know a little about this, as I talked to our GM Parts person when Discount tire broke my TPM.

It uses wireless Radio Freq. in fact, the same one as our remotes. There is a little ball, about the size of a normal ball bearing ball. It is loose in a tube, with a pressure sensor on one end (The end closest to the schrader (or stem) ).

When air flows in from a pump, it pushes the ball down to a wider opening that allows air to pass, then the internal pressure of the tire, pushes the ball out, where the pressure sensor feels how much the ball is pushing.

This is then sent to the BCM.

I was also told that these charge by another ball moving, by converting kinetic energy to electric, but this CAN NOT be confirmed by me.

The price for one from the dealer for us is $54.00

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
small ball moving converting kinetic energy to electric, :?

Dosen't maks sense to me too, to much centrifugal force on a moving object to alow anything to move around inside a tire even at low speeds,

is this or would this be covered under the 3/36 warranty,

·
Registered
8 Posts
so i'm assuming that to "use the stock TPM's" on a new set of aftermarket rims, that i'd have to remove the original tires from my stock rims and pull them off? then get my new tires re-mounted? good grief...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Naw man.. You can just buy 4 new sensors for the new rims..... You will need to program the new sensors also ( :rtfm: ).. :D

I found that the TPMS is a turd. When a tire goes low (down to 20 psi in my example - normal 34), it just says LOW AIR. Not the specific tire!

I was not impressed but also not surprised by the lack of technology that GM employs just to satisfy specific legislation. Thanks for listening. :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
GM was doing this a few years before the law came into effect, just not on all models. the corvette was the first to recieve TPMS, and the technology hasnt changed.

Gerry, they dont have to be programed by the dealer, any bigger tire shop can do them in under three minutes and shouldnt charge, all you do is hold the TPMS calibration tool next to the wheel and press a button on the tool. easy as that.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Yeah bro, I did not say the dealer is needed specifically.. I have not done the procedure yet but the owners manual has a steps listed to program them (DIY), I believe. That is what I was hinting to.. :) I will know more when I undertake that procedure sometime in the future.

The TPMS is ok but limited in my opinion (could be more robust). At least it told me a "tire" was low instead of me not knowing anything... :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
TPMS is just more junk like ABS. All this crap just adds to the cost of the truck, and repairs when they break. I can tell when a tire is ten lbs. low while I'm driving, and I can brake my truck safely without electronic assistance. I gotta think 55 mph governors are right around the corner. Maybe a dirt sensor to tell you when to wash the truck.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I can understand the low tire pressure. Its for the rest of the population that refuses to check their tires. But for ABS (except in snow/ice), there's no way you can match ABS's ability to give maximum braking without locking up the wheels.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts