Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new shell (RSI Smartcap) and the ultimate goal is to put a RTT up there. I want to get some crossbars for the cap to use for other things (SUP!) but want to make sure whatever i mount up there is going to be compatible with a RTT in the future. what type of crossbars or whatever are required to mount a RTT?

Also - what's your favorite RTT to use on top of a camper shell?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Most all RTTs have two metal railings on the bottom, that either hold t-bolts or nuts. There are different designs for mounting them to crossbars, but the cross bars don't really matter, unless you pick a non standard mount.

Most rtt mounts have a metal plate that slides into the rail, and two bolts go down to go over the cross bars, another plate at the bottom that you tighten the nuts too.

On my Leitner Cross Bars, they created an rtt tent mount, that attaches to the side of the bar, and one small bolt goes into a t-nut in the rail, two per side.

For an RTT you need to decide first, how much you want to spend, then you need to determine how many people need to fit into them. There are 2 main types of RTTs, soft or hard, this refers to the covers of the tents, then there are fold overs or wedge shapes, there are hybrids of each that combine both of them. You also need to consider the weight, most canopy's have dynamic and static weight limits, that may limit which tent you can get.

iKamper X-Cover Hardtop fold over, so no cover to remove. folds up small, but is basically a king size bed inside.

GoFastCampers Superlite, hybrid softcover/hardtop wedge: small, good for one, can get two in there, but you must like each other:

Alu-Cab hardtop wedge, one of the most expensive, but it is overbuilt and very heavy:

I've owned all three, so feel free to ask questions

1 - 2 of 2 Posts