Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new 2018 Z-71 Crew Cab V-6. Without digging through the manual is there a quick and easy way to disable the seat belt chime? My Nissan Frontier, you could do it and it was one of the first things I did.
I do drive with seatbelts 95% of the time but I have to remove them occasionally and its obviously better without the annoying chime. I'll google this also but thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I don't know but I would start by looking at the wires/plugs under the sea,t especially ones that lead to the seat belt receptacle to the right of the drivers seat. It might need two wires crossed to fool the circuit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
While I am not condoning it and take no responsbility, there is a thread somewhere on here about this. You need to take the buckle apart at the female part of the buckle and there is a little slider on a rail. That little plastic piece is what turns on the chime. If you remove that, the airbag sensor light still works for the passenger side, but the chime is off.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I won't mess with it and probably get used to this annoying noise when it happens. A blank spare belt tab would come in handy of course, I don't know how often I would actually use it. This is just the way these new vehicles are manufactured these days, there is no way around it. I do not want to mess up the computers, OnStar and any other "smart" systems that are actively running on these vehicles.
It might even dial the police for me and tell them I am not wearing my seat belt, might as well inform my insurance agent while they are at it.(LMAO) sad but true.
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seat Belts

Yeah, we should buckle up when driving down the road (I do).
But I'd like more freedom of movement when backing out of the garage.
Have garage door opener now, but used to have to open garage door, get in truck, back out, get out and close door, back up to top of driveway. All the while enduring the truck dinging at me as if I'm some incompetent fool (well, that's arguable too).
And I like to start the truck, set up car-play for some music, or maps, before strapping in and driving away - DING, DING, DING . . .
I also sometimes play at farming - same thing, driving 5-10 mph around the farm - DING, DING, DING . . .
I hate bureaucrats:frown2:

Reactions: MV10 and White016

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just got the new 2018 Z-71 Crew Cab V-6. Without digging through the manual is there a quick and easy way to disable the seat belt chime? My Nissan Frontier, you could do it and it was one of the first things I did.
I do drive with seatbelts 95% of the time but I have to remove them occasionally and its obviously better without the annoying chime. I'll google this also but thanks in advance.
Before I would get a blank buckle and plug it in remember the airbag system is a two stage system, that being if you buckle up the bag comes out @ a slower speed, in lower speed impact situations, So if you don't buckle up @ lower speeds and are involved in a lower speed collision the airbag control module defaults to full deployment. When I say full deployment it's around 200 MPH. Joy two cents Steve

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Before I would get a blank buckle and plug it in remember the airbag system is a two stage system, that being if you buckle up the bag comes out @ a slower speed, in lower speed impact situations, So if you don't buckle up @ lower speeds and are involved in a lower speed collision the airbag control module defaults to full deployment. When I say full deployment it's around 200 MPH. Just my two cents Steve

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
In the DIC under the Vehicle/Comfort and Convenience menu, there is an adjustment for chime loudness. You can't turn it off, but you can turn it down. Also not sure if this affects the seat belt chime. It does affect the key in the ignition chime, which was completely deafening before adjusting it, and now merely loud and annoying as Hell after turning it all the way down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is the "how to" on disabling the annoying seat belt reminder. First thing I did after getting my truck. Mine is a 2017, and I would assume that nothing has changed for the 2018 models. Very easy to do and is very satisfying when you don't have to listen to the nanny chime!

http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-2nd-gen-electronics-audio-lighting/311649-seat-belt-chime-disable-2016-a.html

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turning it down to the lowest setting is still noisy and I really don't want to disconnect any connectors or effect the computers and airbags.
Many vehicles had this as an option but that isn't the case today. I am not going to take my dash apart and start cutting/splicing wires.
For now, I deal with it when I do have to unhook and I am sure I could just buckle it up if I had to, I just wish there was an option.
Yes, I do wear my seatbelt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
buy a short seat belt extender from autozone . It's like plugging in a female buckle into the female buckle. I bought two of these so buckle is above the edge of the seat. Your seat belt system thinks the belt is connected all the time .Now you can drive with no seat belt holding you in place ,if you wanted to take a chance like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to say that I bought these to make it easier to grab female buckle. I always wear my seat belt. If everyone had been using their seat belts for the last 25 years we wouldn't need all the air bags we now have and the associated costs.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Always wear my seat belts, but my habit over decades of driving has always been to start the vehicle first, then buckle up. The damn dinger in my Canyon is so loud though, it forced a new habit on this old dog. I buckle up first before starting the truck. I guess it worked as designed, annoyed me into buckling up before even turning the key :laugh:

Reactions: firemech2

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wear my seatbelt during every drive. However, the seat belt chime dinging at you before the truck is in drive is ridiculous. I work out of my truck a lot which means the truck is on for a length of time where I'm not driving, but the computer still wants me to buckle up. :-|

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I purchased the male end of the seat belt and that was a done deal for me. Have done it in all cars Ive owned. Check ebay for seat belt clip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.