Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Canyon V6 CCSB
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I have a 2016 CC 4x4 and need to replace the front and rear diff fluid. Can I just crack them open, drain, and refill? Anything to look out for, or any one-time use bolts/seals/things? Rockauto has a Diff Pinion Seal https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...5153,drivetrain,differential+pinion+seal,2380 but I have no idea what to buy.
no need to replace anything, yes just pull out the bottom plug to drain and fill in the plug thats about half way up. Just fill until it comes out of the hole.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Probably not an issue on newer truck, but make sure you can loosen the fill plug before draining the diffs.
I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
Replace already? I thought diff fluid was rate to a 100k miles?
If the OP has submerged his axles in water, it would be prudent to change the fluid.

But I wouldn't think twice about replacing diff fluid at 50k miles, no matter what the interval rating is for.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I do the first diff change after 6-8 hrs of 4 wheel drive use. After than about every 45-50k.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Wow.....Wow

Replace already? I thought diff fluid was rate to a 100k miles?
Wow....I’ll have to look that up because I seriously don’t believe it!!! (Sorry, no offense).

I mean...... WTF GM? I don’t see anything in the manual about front & rear diffs. There’s information about the transfer case.....(97,500 miles).
I can believe that - the tcase oils doesn’t have nearly as much moving parts & wear/tear as the front & rear diffs.
What am I missing and why can’t I find it?

https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC...view/02_PDF/2016-gmc-canyon-owners-manual.pdf

I’ve changed all my truck diff fluids at 30K - and it was always really dark (and that’s using Mobile 1). No way in hell it’ll go 100k miles.

·
Registered
209 Posts
"I’ve changed all my truck diff fluids at 30K - and it was always really dark (and that’s using Mobile 1). No way in hell it’ll go 100k miles."

Agreed! A few bucks every 2-3 years to swap out the fluids is just good insurance.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Changed mine in front and back at 11K miles and both fluids were very dark and a lot of metal debris on the magnetic drain plugs...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.