Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to know how do i ground this wire that came with my jl audio two amp wire kit or were do i ground it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Ground it to the floor. Use to shortest run possible.
Remove, scrape and sand away the paint so that it is contacting clean bare metal.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok do i take the 4 ga ground one end and connect to the battery and then the next end to the floor of my truck and then take the 8 ga ground to the nut

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
You lost me on that. Are you trying to install a amp? Or maybe two amps. If so where are you putting them?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
two jl audio amps 300/4 and a 250/1 on the back wall of my crew cab colorado but i see the 4 gs ground wire has the nut on one end and a spade on the next end so need to know were to connect.

·
Banned
433 Posts
I dont know how the crew cab setup is but i have a reg cab and i pulled up the carpet behind the driver seat and sanded and grounded there. a ground wire goes from amp to metal of truck. if you have three amps then you have 3 wires that should be grounded. u can use that nut setup to ground all 3 wires at the same point.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so the part without the nut goes to the - for the battery for my truck then for that part to be ground.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The battery is grounded to your truck...... Or else none of the electrical system would work.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
That's what it looks like. A ground lug that you would bolt to the frame or floor.
Then you cut the wire in half (or whatever length you need) and you will have 2 wires with ring terminals to go from the lug to the amps.
For three amps you will have the use the left over wire and add a terminal.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Belizeanlow said:
ok so the part without the nut goes to the - for the battery for my truck then for that part to be ground.
Or you could run it to a good ground closer to wherever you're mounting the amp, it doesn't have to go to the battery. Like TexasXtreme said, ground it somewhere close to where you're installing the amp...just easier to wire up that way.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i think jl audio wanted me to connect one end to the - of the battery and the part with the nut to the floor of the truck and then the ground coming from the amps go to the nut then.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Belizeanlow said:
ok so i think jl audio wanted me to connect one end to the - of the battery and the part with the nut to the floor of the truck and then the ground coming from the amps go to the nut then.
That's redundant, you're grounding the system twice.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
BTW Belizeanlow. I checked out your cardomain page.
Very nice truck. Love the color. Great job. 8)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks TexasXtreme lot of those things i did was from watching you guys on here. :lol:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
each amp needs to be grounded one time. if i was you i was pick up the carpet and sand the paint off. make sure its metal and bolt the wires to the floor. then run them to the amps..

·
Banned
433 Posts
ok belizeanlow i think you are confused, 12v wire on amps goes to battery, remote turn on to hu, ground to metal under carpet(or wherever you choose). make a grounding point and ground all 3 amps there. run all 3 12v to battery.run 3 remote wires to hu, join 3 wires together and connect to remote lead coming from hu. then i assume you know how to run wiring from amp to speakers and subs.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
You don't need separate feed lines to the battery or 3 lines running to the head unit. Just run one wire to each and split it at the amps. Much less wire to run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts