Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
If there is a core charge then it is rebuilt, right?
Not necessarily, I don't see any reference either way but parts with a core charge could be brand new, the core charge is so they can get parts in return to be able to also supply reman replacements as well. I'd think a dealer would be able to look up if it's new or reman, not that I'd be concerned either way. Factory reman engines can be built better than factory new.

Reactions: White016

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One thing I learned with my 2002 ranger V6 is the way these engines are assembled now, when the lower end seals go, its not worth pulling and fixing anything. Even if I poured 2K into all the timing and everything, something else will fail.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Pelosi isn't his running mate...

Cash for clunkers had a couple of purposes. First, get high-pollution vehicles off the roads. They may have been serviceable but at the time a lot weren't even close and would never be able to meet new emissions standards. If you don't think vehicle emissions are a big deal then try looking at some of the largest, most polluted cities around the world after COVID hit. HUGE reduction in pollution due to the massive reduction in vehicles on the road.

Second, it was to help boost auto sales during the recession in the mid/late 2000s.

I don't think you have much to worry about, though. Everyone was worried about Obama taking away guns, Gore banning ICEs, etc. Just not going to happen, at least not in that short of a timeframe and not by one sitting president.
Ah yes, people buying gas engines because of Biden, much like the big gun sales with Obama! I get it now.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Ah yes, people buying gas engines because of Biden, much like the big gun sales with Obama! I get it now.
They're buying guns and ammunition because of Biden. F'n crazy. What I don't understand is the gun industry seems to be the one industry that doesn't adjust price in times of shortages. Guns sell under list. I'm not even sure what ammunition sells for because it doesn't exist.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Its pretty set in stone that Obama was one of the best gun salesmen of all time. But I think his record has already been broken by COVID, the most gun selling disease of all time.
I think there are more guns than people to shoot.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Its pretty in stone that Obama was one of the best gun salesmen of all time. But I think his record has already been broken by COVID, the most gun selling disease of all time.
I think there are more guns than people to shoot.
Is it
A. Covid, or
B. BLM, or
C. Biden, or
D. All of the Above?

I'd mark D.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why stop at an engine? Might as well buy a spare truck now because in 10 years someone you don't like today might still be POTUS after two 4 year terms and they'll somehow eliminate the 12M annual light truck sales plus the 100M+ used light trucks already out there.

I mean if we're going down the road of perfectly rational financial decisions...

·
Registered
617 Posts
You can buy pull out 5.3L/8L90E/4x4 combos for $4-6k. 6.2 LT combos for $6-8k. Depending on your DIY-ness, $2-5k more for the remaining parts to complete install. Just saying....

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Why stop at an engine? Might as well buy a spare truck now because in 10 years someone you don't like today might still be POTUS after two 4 year terms and they'll somehow eliminate the 12M annual light truck sales plus the 100M+ used light trucks already out there.

I mean if we're going down the road of perfectly rational financial decisions...
If you had garage space for both that wouldn't be a bad idea, particularly if you could get one that was "totalled" with relatively unimportant damage.. Just put the one in long term storage and part it out over time.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
They're buying guns and ammunition because of Biden. F'n crazy. What I don't understand is the gun industry seems to be the one industry that doesn't adjust price in times of shortages. Guns sell under list. I'm not even sure what ammunition sells for because it doesn't exist.
oh it exists, I have a few rounds ;) I bought it before everyone bought toilet paper. lol

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
oh it exists, I have a few rounds ;) I bought it before everyone bought toilet paper. lol
I meant for sale. Most places are limiting what they have of the popular rounds to people who buy new guns from them. One range I contacted limit their sales to use in their rental guns.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Please do not over react. The automakers have plans for EV but also ICE engines till 2050. ICE is not going to vanish over night and the trucks more than not will have the ICE till the end.

Odds are to force out ICE or to get people to make the change they will just do as Japan and make the cost to buy or own an older vehicle more difficult and expensive. These people work channels. and this is how they do it. I Japan the older the car the higher the tax.

Earlier this year the SAE publication featured interviews with the automakers and lead engineers and they all said while ICE will decline it is still in play in their plans at most automakers.

Save the money to buy a new ICE truck later on so you can have a new and better truck than a old Rusty Frame truck with a new engine. Did not not pay attention to the idiot in the other post. Your frame is doomed anyways. Lol!.

Seriously don't over think this.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
I meant for sale. Most places are limiting what they have of the popular rounds to people who buy new guns from them. One range I contacted limit their sales to use in their rental guns.
I know. I was just kidding around.
I just learned this, kind of interesting and very infuriating. I heard here in CA to buy ammo now you must have a registered gun that matches it. A buddy was going dove hunting, went to buy 12 gauge ammo, he has his grandpa's old un registered shotgun. They wouldn't sell him ammo because he didn't have a 12 gauge registered to him. WTF? Yes, a new law came into effect in Jan (I think) that we have to have a background check to buy ammo now, AND a registered gun to match.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
10-4 @hyperv6
I'll just drive an EV truck when the time comes! They have amazing torque!
If I had a place to park/charge it, I would probably have an EV car and more solar on my roof right now.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, back to the subject, In my case, and others Im sure, we high mileage drivers may find 2-300K on the clock within six years. I doubt these trucks, frame rust and all, are doomed that early. What is more economical? an engine rebuild, or a new long block?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
If I had a place to park/charge it, I would probably have an EV car and more solar on my roof right now.
I would have bought an EV in a heartbeat back in late 2018 instead of the wife's Outback. EV's work really well as second cars. None though fit our needs at that point in time not being large enough together with sufficient range. I suspect that has changed, but at this point I wouldn't consider trading in the Outback and replacing it with an EV.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Well, back to the subject, In my case, and others Im sure, we high mileage drivers may find 2-300K on the clock within six years. I doubt these trucks, frame rust and all, are doomed that early. What is more economical? an engine rebuild, or a new long block?
Most likely buying a long block. I think it would be hard to find anyone you can trust to rebuild and do it at a good price. Don't really know for sure though. But man, don't just go out and buy an engine, hell you might loose the truck to an accident or something long before the engine is due. Also, at 300k the rest of the truck will be worn out too.
I'm saving right now for my next truck, EV or not....

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Often anymore the long block is cheaper, It also has a warranty. Older engines can be rebuilt cheap but today most are cheaper in a box.

Also remember companies like Jasper, Blue Print etc will still be here offering rebuilt versions of the most common engines.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you had garage space for both that wouldn't be a bad idea, particularly if you could get one that was "totalled" with relatively unimportant damage.. Just put the one in long term storage and part it out over time.
Vehicles don't do well sitting for extended periods though. Fluids build up moisture content, ferrous parts start to corrode, fuel becomes varnish, rubber parts start to dry out.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Vehicles don't do well sitting for extended periods though. Fluids build up moisture content, ferrous parts start to corrode, fuel becomes varnish, rubber parts start to dry out.
I agree, which is why I try to drive my 89 Ranger at least once a week and have done so for over 25 years. When it was newer I used to walk to work, and now I just like to keep it in shape.

But when I said long term storage I envisioned draining the fuel, removing the plugs to oil the cylinders, etc. Not everyone wants to pay insurance on a vehicle they hardly use, which is the main expense of my keeping the 89 Ranger around and running.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts