Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to buy a new GM crate engine, how should I do it?
I don't need one now, but If I can get one reasonably, I would call it spare parts.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Find the GM part number and Google it to get the price. Be advised though, not all crate engines are new, some are remanufactured, so make sure the part number you have is for a new engine.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I suspect you'd need to use a high percentage of parts for that to pay off. You'd be better off just installing it and taking parts off your old engine.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would want all the timing to be in place. I will have 100K miles in three years of use. Im not concerned about when the engine goes, but the availability of new replacements in the exact same spec.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is there even a GM part number for the 3.6L V6 LGZ. A quick search did not find one. There were some for the3.6L V6 LFX. Why don't you call GM customer support or your dealer and ask?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If I wanted to buy a new GM crate engine, how should I do it?
I don't need one now, but If I can get one reasonably, I would call it spare parts.
Buying a new engine "just in case" ? Man if I had your money I would burn mine.

Reactions: Ed_Llorca

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Buying a new engine "just in case" ? Man if I had your money I would burn mine.
What's worse is he's going to carry it around in the bed just in case there's an unexpected breakdown. ;)

But seriously, that article I read about the price of one of the larger GM engines surprised me. There were very affordable.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
But seriously, that article I read about the price of one of the larger GM engines surprised me. There were very affordable.
I guess, but to buy one just in case? I don't think there is a reason to not wait until if/when one needs it. And odds are one never will need it. This whole thing is just silly.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Is there even a GM part number for the 3.6L V6 LGZ. A quick search did not find one. There were some for the3.6L V6 LFX. Why don't you call GM customer support or your dealer and ask?
You mean this? 12679343 - Engine - GM (12679343) | GMPartsDirect.com :)

Also kind of interesting, a replacement 2.8 Duramax is only $1,200 more than the V6.

Reactions: Iamscotticus

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I'd consider buying a low mileage one from a wreck or a high mileage one and rebuild it instead.

EDIT: Upon reflection, if I had to replace the engine, I'd be looking at a small block V:8. 😁
You made me look up the article. I couldn't find the exact one, but this one indicates you can get a bare crate new 350 for under $3,800. For that price I'd go new rather than junk yard or rebuilt.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Reactions: trikermutha

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I'd consider buying a low mileage one from a wreck or a high mileage one and rebuild it instead.

EDIT: Upon reflection, if I had to replace the engine, I'd be looking at a small block V:8. 😁
If my engine explodes, I'll be looking for a new Ford Ranger! ahahaha

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you think Im cray-cray for wanting to buy an engine this early, here's a real crazy reason-
President Nancy Pelosi/Biden! I honestly don't know if I will be able to buy a new gas truck in 10 years.
Remember cash for clunklers? the mass throw-away of many serviceable gas vehicles. It was a big fraud to get oil burners off the streets.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Pelosi isn't his running mate...

Cash for clunkers had a couple of purposes. First, get high-pollution vehicles off the roads. They may have been serviceable but at the time a lot weren't even close and would never be able to meet new emissions standards. If you don't think vehicle emissions are a big deal then try looking at some of the largest, most polluted cities around the world after COVID hit. HUGE reduction in pollution due to the massive reduction in vehicles on the road.

Second, it was to help boost auto sales during the recession in the mid/late 2000s.

I don't think you have much to worry about, though. Everyone was worried about Obama taking away guns, Gore banning ICEs, etc. Just not going to happen, at least not in that short of a timeframe and not by one sitting president.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If you think Im cray-cray for wanting to buy an engine this early, here's a real crazy reason-
President Nancy Pelosi/Biden! I honestly don't know if I will be able to buy a new gas truck in 10 years.
Remember cash for clunklers? the mass throw-away of many serviceable gas vehicles. It was a big fraud to get oil burners off the streets.
I don't agree that was gas burner related, but it did cause me an opportunity to put about $2,500 of maintenance into my 89 Ranger.

Right around that time I had a dream that I'd traded in my Ranger on something else. I woke up startled and alarmed. It took me about 20 seconds to be certain it was just a bad nightmare.

But anyway, even though I disagree on the purpose of CFC, I don't disagree with your assessment of where we're headed. Seattle was going to ban oil furnaces in houses--make the owners rip out and replace them. They've decided to stall that due to Covid-19 and the effect on the economy. That that shows you what extreme liberals are thinking.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If there is a core charge then it is rebuilt, right?
I don't know about GM specifically, but I would say not necessarily. If they sell rebuilt too then they would value the return. Even if not seemingly it has value so they would want it to sell to others.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts