Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I know this has been beat to death.... but I wanted to ask lol

I've been looking and reading and looking and reading.

But I can not really decide on what tire to go with. All tires I have read about have good reviews. good rating.

I'm going with RC 2in level, Probably 265/65/18 with new rims as well (But that don't matter right now). Something with snowflake rating to run all year long.

Prefer a better highway tire (mileage / noise rating) than Off road, but would require all terrain for the Canadian winters.

Currently I may go with Cooper Discoverer A/T3. Unless I get a better deal, General tire Grabber as second choice. Sales guy kind of told me to stay away from everyone's favorite K02

Some help or advice would be fantastic!

Rob

Reactions: GraniteBlue05

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
Gents, I know this has been beat to death.... but I wanted to ask lol

I've been looking and reading and looking and reading.

But I can not really decide on what tire to go with. All tires I have read about have good reviews. good rating.

I'm going with RC 2in level, Probably 265/65/18 with new rims as well (But that don't matter right now). Something with snowflake rating to run all year long.

Prefer a better highway tire (mileage / noise rating) than Off road, but would require all terrain for the Canadian winters.

Currently I may go with Cooper Discoverer A/T3. Unless I get a better deal, General tire Grabber as second choice. Sales guy kind of told me to stay away from everyone's favorite K02

Some help or advice would be fantastic!

Rob
FWIW, I had Cooper Discoverer AT3's on a previous vehicle. I found they were quite terrible in the snow because they are very hard. I also noticed they made a lot of noise after about 15k miles. Got rid of them shortly after that.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I had few tire choices in my preferred size and I really wanted D rating instead of E since it's a lightweight truck with a small engine. I literally only had 2 choices. The Hankook AT or the Pathfinder AT at Discount Tire which is just a rebadged Hankook.

I use Discount Tire often so it was a no brainer. Pricing was very good also for what I got, imo.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I work at a tire shop everyone getting the new ko2 is not getting any kind of mileage out of them at least our customers are not. Most mileage we’ve had a customer get out of them was 24000 miles and some change. We don’t get much if any snow in Texas I’d go with the cooper at3 or the falken at3w last would be the Toyo at2. Toyo is prolly gonna be the most expensive out of the 3. Personally when I replace my factor Goodyear adventure Kevlars I’m prolly gonna go with falken at3w, cooper at3, or might even go back with the Goodyear’s I’ve been pretty happy with them so far in wet conditions and in general driving.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
Thanks for the advice
I had some Michelin Defender LTX's installed on my Dad's Ram several months back. They are GREAT tires. Good for all year round, they ride nice, they are quiet and his truck gets great mileage.

They aren't the most fancy looking tire, but they will get you from point A to point B just as well.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I like to use Tire Rack rankings for making decisions.

First, I decide what categories are most important to me, then see what ranks well in those categories.

My decision making looked something like this:

1. Size. I run an uncommon 265/75R16 on my summer wheels, and don't want load range E / 10 ply tire for my light pickup. No compromising here, want to get the size I want.

2. All terrain, or highway tire. I was very tempted by the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, as it is one of the best highway tires around. But, I did not want to be in a jam trying to pull my small travel trailer out of a muddy, uneven campsite. By all accounts, the Defender has little to offer when it comes to mud performance. I don't go off road often, but I sometimes still follow the urge to explore the "road" less traveled when the opportunity presents itself. I don't need something as aggressive as a KO2 or Duratrac, though I love the way they look. I decided on a mild all terrain.

3. Wet performance. I will run a dedicated winter tire in the winter, but I don't want to put those on before the snow flies. So I want my summer / AT tires to grip well on the cold, wet fall roads, and not fall on their face if we get an unusually early snowfall. Snowflake symbol preferred.

4. Tread life / Price. Tires are expensive. There are many other things I would rather spend money on than new tires. So, if I am putting out good coin, I want the purchase to last. I also don't want to spend way more than I need to on the initial purchase. A 60,000 mile warranty from a P-metric A/T tire is very good IMO.

Winner? Yokohama Geolander A/T G015.

Though it is a fairly new tire, with fewer test miles on it than the others, Tire Rack has it top ranked for wet performance and tread life in the A/T category.

In my area, Active Green + Ross had the lowest advertised price. My nearest Kal Tire price matched / beat that price by 5%. That made them $170 CAD each, plus tax, mount, balance, etc.

Tire Rack A/T Rankings
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

A nice Review covering a range of conditions, but makes frequent comparisons to mud tires.
https://expeditionportal.com/review-yokohama-geolandar-at-g015/

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
FWIW, I had Cooper Discoverer AT3's on a previous vehicle. I found they were quite terrible in the snow because they are very hard. I also noticed they made a lot of noise after about 15k miles. Got rid of them shortly after that.

Agree. Cooper = Noise. My wife was talked into Coopers on her SUV. I don't even like traveling 5 miles to the store in her car. The noise is HORRIBLE! I'll be replacing them with what was the original factory tires when vehicle was new 194K mile ago regardless of tread life remaining on the Coopers.

I read a lot about rims / tires which are best? I'm sure there are many folks that have found the ideal setup for their personal use. I just turned 10K miles on my 2017 Z71 purchased April 27, 2017. For me, when current tires need replacing, I'll be putting on the same tires on the same rims it came with. I enjoy the smooth comfortable ride so much I do not want to risk making a choice I'd regret.

Gusto

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cooper A/Tw for Canada IMHO. I'm about to put a set on mine (265/70R17 on All Terrain rims waiting for my Bilstein 5100's to go on for the 2" lift).

I've read tons of great things about them including both summer and winter tests and low noise.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Agree. Cooper = Noise. My wife was talked into Coopers on her SUV. I don't even like traveling 5 miles to the store in her car. The noise is HORRIBLE! I'll be replacing them with what was the original factory tires when vehicle was new 194K mile ago regardless of tread life remaining on the Coopers.
I'm not a fan of generalizations and blanket statements. While sometimes they hold true, in general, I don't believe a brand should be judged by a single product they offer.

My only experience with Cooper Tires is with the CS5 on a Hyundai Sonata. I had no complaints with the noise. They were a very welcome change in the spring time, after taking the Avalanche Extreme winter tires off that car, which sure made a racket.

·
Registered
282 Posts
BTW when I got my Cooper A/Tw's they were on sale for $165 in the 265/70R17 size (non-LT).

I am going from the stock 18" SLT rims to 17" All Terrain rims because I wanted more sidewall, less 'flashy' wheels and the better selection and lower price of 17" tires.

If you're not married to 18" rims you might consider the same.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Cooper A/Tw for Canada IMHO. I'm about to put a set on mine (265/70R17 on All Terrain rims waiting for my Bilstein 5100's to go on for the 2" lift).

I've read tons of great things about them including both summer and winter tests and low noise.
The A/Tw is certainly worth a look if you value winter performance highly. All the zig-zag sipes will help you out in slippery conditions. It is a Canadian Tire exclusive product, so you may find a little less info about it online, but don't be quick to overlook it.

You do pay a bit of a penalty in the tread life though, as the mileage warranty is 50k miles for the A/Tw instead of 60k for the A/T3.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm not a fan of generalizations and blanket statements. While sometimes they hold true, in general, I don't believe a brand should be judged by a single product they offer

I universally agree with your widespread and generic statement............

Cooper Tires only sells tires, right? Generally speaking of course. LOL

Gusto

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
great, now you tell me.......

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would stay away from at3's for a canadian winter. Had these on an fj cruiser and a land cruiser in both P and LT varieties and was less than impressed with winter performance. This may go against the grain, but I was also unsatisfied with Falken AT3W's on an F150. Liked to slide around quite a bit in packed snow which is mostly what I drive on.

Michelin is hard to beat as an all around tire. Not flashy, but damnit they perform, albeit you pay for it. Those yokohama's also sound like a nice tire based on reviews.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You are in nova Scotia. I am assuming you get a lot more snow than say someone in southern Ontario. Do yourself a favour and get a set of take off wheels and a set of dedicated snow tires. Then put whatever set of highway tires you want for the other 3 seasons. Having two sets may cost more upfront but your tires will last longer.

AT tires, even with the snowflake, just wont compare with serious snow and ice that I suspect you see in NS. They are fine for southern Ontario.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.