Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my truck back from the 150k timing belt change. Just happened to notice the engine hours meter said 0.7 hours.

It had over 3500 hours logged when I dropped it off.

Assuming they did not give me a new engine, why would the hour meter be reset? Everything else on the DIC remained the same.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just got my truck back from the 150k timing belt change. Just happened to notice the engine hours meter said 0.7 hours.

It had over 3500 hours logged when I dropped it off.

Assuming they did not give me a new engine, why would the hour meter be reset? Everything else on the DIC remained the same.
Maybe the purpose of it is to tell you when you need a new timing belt.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It’s a software glitch. Usually caused by a dying battery. But sometimes just unplugging it also causes it.

The hours are not stored redundantly like the odometer is. So if the ICCM (cluster) loses the data…. It’s gone for good.

Miles are stored between the BCM and ICCM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Mechanic from the shop called me back, says GM is not aware of this porblem in Colorado's although they have seen it in a few full size trucks. He wants me to bring it back and he will scan and see if the hours are still stored somewhere. I asked how long the battery was disconnected and he said he isn't sure if it was or if it was for how long. My guess is they disconnected battery and left disconnected while waiting for the camshaft plug to arrive and it was long enough for capacitors to discharge and lose the engine hours memory but that is just a theory. He says they didn't flash the ECU.

·
Registered
791 Posts
A Mechanic from the shop called me back, says GM is not aware of this porblem in Colorado's although they have seen it in a few full size trucks. He wants me to bring it back and he will scan and see if the hours are still stored somewhere. I asked how long the battery was disconnected and he said he isn't sure if it was or if it was for how long. My guess is they disconnected battery and left disconnected while waiting for the camshaft plug to arrive and it was long enough for capacitors to discharge and lose the engine hours memory but that is just a theory. He says they didn't flash the ECU.
Tons of dealership have reported this issue. GM just doesn’t care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts