Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here besides me dealing with a hostile work environment? I'm trying to figure out how to deal with my boss cause I'm fed up with his B.S. but I'm not gonna go do anything rash. I want to be able to hang him out to dry without worrying about loosing my own job (btw, he CAN'T fire me, he doesn't have the authority)

I'm a mechanic who is just getting into this field, but I'm no spring chicken (I'm 31). My boss always brags about his 35 years of experiance in the automotive field, but we rarely work on automotive applications (diesel fleet maintenance mostly). My boss has ZERO diesel experiance, but I just got out of a 15 month school where I now have a diploma in truck and diesel technology.

I won't go into specifics but this guy bullies EVERYONE, he thinks he is untouchable, and he loves to tell my other coworker and I what we can and can't do, who we can and can't talk to, and where we can and can't go.

There's a good possibility that I get on his nerves since the drivers come to me now with their problems. I take care of these problems right away whereas my boss, IF he addresses the problems, takes several days to do so. He also has a bad habit of talking down to the drivers which usually leads to arguments.

I would go to his boss, but my coworker has already tried that with ZERO success. My boss brown noses his boss everyday (no exageration).

Is there any idea as to what I can do?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Talk to HR?

The other option is to figure out how to give him enough rope to hang himself with and then step back and watch it happen.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL!!!! Greatness!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've dealt with that same type of BS in the past.... I even went to HR and only got retaliation back from my boss. It just gave me motivation to a find a new, better paying job; which I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You not only have to set him up, but do it in such a way that your boss is willing to sacrifice that guy to save his own job. Otherwise, if he is as tight
with the boss as you indicate, his boss will be able to cover/overlook an issue.

I've found that most bosses prove Newtons law that "things at rest tend to remain at rest". They want no work/problems. When one arises they will
minimize it, explain it away. Reprimand, time off without pay, firing are a lot more work (paperwork and others watching).

Might just want to grin and bear it while trying to relocate elsewhere. A third of ones life is spent at work for most of us. Too much time to spend
being PO'd and unhappy. Make something happen that suits you.

Good luck in solving your problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
just make copies pf your diesel school diploma and hang it up for all to see and make a place for his and the you can say "oh damnnn you dont have one"

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jacob78 said:
just make copies pf your diesel school diploma and hang it up for all to see and make a place for his and the you can say "oh damnnn you dont have one"
I've already done that. He just came back with "Yeah, but you can't use it since everything we have is under warranty now. Did you happen to see my ASE certifications hanging on the wall?" He always finds a way to turn things around in his favor.

·
Registered
82 Posts
did you ever think about maybee tuna fish rubbed into his seat, maybe a few pieces of lunch meat in his heater. It won't do much for your situation, but damn it will feel good.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your boss sounds like the senior general forman where I work, he was more less bullying and dog cussing everybody and tell us how he was "god" so some of the guys at work started recording what he would say and the next thing you know a full scale investigation crew shows up at work, and now he has to retier by the end of the month :D

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
micro said:
ignore him

Yep.

Id say as long as you are doing your job, and the people you are doing the work for appreciate you more than your boss, then in the long run you can afford to ignore.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
micro said:
ignore him
I have done this for the past year, but I can't do it any longer. I have no choice but to communicate with him on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
91CavGT said:
micro said:
ignore him
I have done this for the past year, but I can't do it any longer. I have no choice but to communicate with him on a daily basis.

Can you just tell him what you think?

Even if its one of those, "Hey, your an asshole.". Y'know what I mean?

At least around my workplace, theres really nothing sacred, you can say whatever you want to your supervisors, then they may respond with the same, but at least everyone knows whats going on.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Piece of mind is worth more than the pay. I had a job that I complained of hostile enviroment, and my job became worse. I left and got a job that I look forward to every day, less pay, but less stress.
I'f you can't communicate to him in his own language, it will alway's suck till he's gone.
If the right person were to overhear his communication skills while your head stays cool.....

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Randy said:
I'f you can't communicate to him in his own language, it will alway's suck till he's gone.
If the right person were to overhear his communication skills while your head stays cool.....

EXACTLY!!! I helped a former coworker a few years ago deal with a bad manager by just staying calm while he got loud and angry. It just so happened that the district manager overheard everything and the bad manager got demoted AND sent to another store!!

My big delima is this. I love this job. I quit my last job of 11 years and I changed careers to my current job. I took a substantial pay cut and it is a longer drive for me. But I love the job, accept for this ass hole.

He admits that he is a HUGE ass hole, and he has said several times that if I don't like it then it is my problem and that I would need to find another job. He also loves to state that this is a right to work state which means that he can fire me at any time for any reason (which is total B.S., he doesn't have the authority to fire me). Every time in the past when I have tried to stand my ground he tells me where the door is and that if I don't like how he runs things, then I can start walking. He refuses to compromise at all.

I REALLY like the idea of the voice recorder!!! If I only had it a few months ago when he made a threat then he would already be gone. He slipped and fell in the shop on a scrap piece of metal. When he finally got up wincing in pain he grabbed the metal and threw it across the shop as hard as he could. He then looked me right in the eyes and said in a VERY angry voice "The next person that leaves sh1t laying around the shop, I'mma f**king kill them!!".

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I got My boss fired, he thought he knew it all too (I provide IT support To numerous clients). He would always act like he knew what was going on, so anytime someone would ask for help I'd let him "handle" it. Eventually big turkey caught on and realized he was a dumbass!

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you have a few witnesses and a voice recorder call the haressment hotline and thell send someone in and take care of him :twisted: there aint no sense in anyone talking or treating anyone like that no matter how high up the dang ladder he is!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts