Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Horrible mileage towing my new trailer

25K views 66 replies 32 participants last post by  Plateado 
#1 ·
2016 4x4 crew all terrain 3.6l gas, 159000 km (99000 miles) on the clock.

I just took my new trailer out for the weekend, figured a relatively close campground over relatively flat highway would be a good first trip to see what I have.

Trailer is 23 feet, 96" wide, 5500 loaded. I bought a Husky Centerline TS WD hitch with sway control.

Mileage was horrible to say the least. On the drive home with cruise set at 104 kmh (65 mph) I was averaging 35 l/100km (6.7 US mpg) over pretty much flat road! RPMs stayed in the 4000 rpm range pretty much full time.

Just over half way back, I dropped cruise to 90 kmh (56 mph) and mileage improved to an average of 25l/100km (9.4 US mpg), and RPM dropped to the 2500 range.

Tow haul on versus off made no difference to RPM - stayed in the same gear at both speeds.

Just as bad as the actual mileage was the fact that I did not feel there was a lot of juice left in the box if I wanted it.

My previous trailer was a 2800 lb tent trailer and I didn't even know it was back there. I've towed 4000 lb enclosed trailers several thousand miles without anything near this kind of hit.

FWIW, my daily driving averages 9.6 l/100km (24.5 US mpg) highway and 14 l/100km (16.8 US mpg) around town. The highway mileage is based on cruising at 110 kmh (68 mph) with RPMs at 1700-1800.

I wasn't expecting Porsche speeds and Prius mileage, but wow, am I ever disappointed.

See less See more
#2 ·
The aero beat you up. You basically pulled a sail. What were the winds like? It honestly sounds like your 65mph run likely had a headwind, possibly a significant one. Just a 10mph headwind and now you’re pulling a sail at, effectively, 75+. Your lower speed mileage is about what I would expect straight and level no-wind up to ~65. Others will chime in.

As you saw, the engine RPMs tell the story. If it’s working, it’s drinking. I recommend more time and trips and your numbers should normalize. As far as frontal area/aero load, you clearly found this truck’s limits.

#3 ·
I don't think you are wrong. There was a bit of a wind today. The good news is that I did not feel any more buffeted than I do when not towing, so clearly the Husky hitch is doing its job.

Mostly I am just venting. :serious:

#4 ·

Trailer is 23 feet, 96" wide, 5500 loaded. I bought a Husky Centerline TS WD hitch with sway control.

Mileage was horrible to say the least. On the drive home with cruise set at 104 kmh (65 mph) I was averaging 35 l/100km (6.7 US mpg) over pretty much flat road! RPMs stayed in the 4000 rpm range pretty much full time.

Just over half way back, I dropped cruise to 90 kmh (56 mph) and mileage improved to an average of 25l/100km (9.4 US mpg), and RPM dropped to the 2500 range.

FWIW, my daily driving averages 9.6 l/100km (24.5 US mpg) highway and 14 l/100km (16.8 US mpg) around town. The highway mileage is based on cruising at 110 kmh (68 mph) with RPMs at 1700-1800.
There's your problem right there! Do not use cruise control when towing.
You basically have the same setup and live in the same town as I am. Gas mileage cut in half is not unreasonable when towing that trailer. That is what I got on the May 2-4 long weekend with a trip to Bon Echo PP.
100 KPH gives me 2700 RPM's on average. Use Tow / Haul mode and feather the gas pedal and it is as good as it gets. No worries.

#6 ·
There's your problem right there! Do not use cruise control when towing.

I use cruise when towing on the freeway when outside of urban/city areas, I don't have a single issue or difference with fuel economy or gearing with cruise vs without. It's all about wind resistance/speed. 65MPH is doable but the truck will often run in 4th at ~2,700RPM, again cruise or not. Dropping down to 60MPH it will cruise at 1,900RPM all day long except over some of the more steep overpasses.

Point is, driving faster than the truck wants to go when towing is going to suck the gas whether you use cruise or not. Slow down, enjoy the drive. 60MPH vs 65MPH is a negligible difference in arrival time at your destination.

#5 ·
I agree with what Stealth said above...you have clearly found this trucks limit. I posted in another thread about recently towing my tractor and brush hog. The weight was easily 5000 pounds, probably a little more and I came to the same conclusion. Also, a travel trailer will give you much more wind resistance than pulling a tractor.

Other than that...I got nothing to ease your pain.

#7 ·
I think aero was an issue for you as well as "pushing" your truck's limits with the cruise control. Sustained RPM of 4000 would drive me crazy (not from the money for gas but just the fear of the abuse I'm putting the truck through). I recently towed a similar weight from Kansas City to eastern Iowa over long rolling hills with my 2017 ZR2 (which are notorious for crappy mileage due to big tires, heavy weight, and I've leveled mine in the front so aero is worse) and averaged 13 mpg while generally rolling at 70-75 mph. The key to me with rolling terrain is to maintain momentum - coast down the hills (let it roll!) and don't beat the crap out of it on the uphills (you might lose 5-10 mph but return to your desired speed on the next flat / downhill). Car weighs about 3100 pounds and the trailer was something over 2000 pounds.

#11 ·
I,m pulling a 24ft 4800lb travel trailer and I average about 10-11mpg with a "2015" V6. I so have a somewhat rounded nose on the trailer(GreyWolf)A strong headwind I go down to about 9 and with a tail wind I can get close to 12. I put mine in manual mode in 5th gear so I don't hot 6th/overdrive. at about 65mph I split my time between 4th and 5th with rpm's at 3000 or 2400 unless I have an incline then I'll drop to 3rd at 4k prm's

#12 · (Edited)

I just took my new trailer out for the weekend, figured a relatively close campground over relatively flat highway would be a good first trip to see what I have.

Tow haul on versus off made no difference to RPM - stayed in the same gear at both speeds.

Just as bad as the actual mileage was the fact that I did not feel there was a lot of juice left in the box if I wanted it.

My previous trailer was a 2800 lb tent trailer and I didn't even know it was back there. I've towed 4000 lb enclosed trailers several thousand miles without anything near this kind of hit.

I wasn't expecting Porsche speeds and Prius mileage, but wow, am I ever disappointed.
It looks like your numbers are comparable to what TFL got in their towing MPG loop (8.7 MPG US). Without checking specs, I suspect your trailer has a larger frontal area, with more drag.

I guess you have to carry a jerry can or two when towing. You might not make it between gas stations in the north, with that economy and fuel tank size.

(11:14 for the V6 result)

Reactions: gcarter95
#14 ·
Towing my trailer again the other weekend I set my cruise to 90 kmh / 56 mph and tow haul mode. Averaged 12 MPG / 23 l/100km. I just need to reconcile myself to the need to slow down. ☹

Reactions: White016
#18 ·
Running 70-75 mph towing my 4500+ lbs boat (tall windshield) I average 15-17 mpg. Running 50-ish in construction zones it's 22-24 on level ground. On the highway I'm usually using cruise control but not T/H mode unless it's hilly or a lot of traffic that I need to constantly adjust to. Anything under 65-70 I'm in 5th but above it's in 6th.

But I'm "cheating"...engine is the 2.8.

#15 ·
First of all, should not be towing with Cruise On, makes the transmission shift in/out of 6th gear if you cannot stay at 65 mph or you get into hills. I tow all time in Manual Mode with the selector set to M5. If you cannot keep your speed to 65, you will feel it shift back to 5th, best to just stay there. I get worst 14 mpg, in worst situations, 100 degree weather, hills, windy day. Try this next time. You can use Tow/Haul or you do not have to, in M5.

#19 ·
Cruise has nothing to do with shifting in/out of 6th, neither does Tow/Haul mode. If you want to keep it out of 6th then M5 is the only way. The only way cruise vs not would make any difference in shifting is if your foot does less-drastic throttle changes to compensate for hills.

Tow/Haul doesn't lock the trans out of 6th, I've tested that as well.

Reactions: C3trevor
#20 · (Edited)
I did not say Cruise or Tow/Haul locks out 6th gear. I said that if you cannot stay above above 65 mph, your transmission is constantly in/out of 6th gear, causing the gas mileage to go to S...
My trailer tires are rated at 65 mph Max. and it’s hard for me to stay right on that without variance with road conditions. That is why I have chose to use M5. Getting good mileage. My choice, not yours. Thanks.
I believe that what you are trying to argue about is what I said in my prior post, read it again. Let the V6 guys help the V6 guys.

Reactions: Vinolush
#21 ·
No need to get your panties in a twist. Re-read your own post, it says if you use cruise and cannot stay at 65 or get into the hills then it will constantly be shifting into/out of 6th. The only reason for that would be cruise being more aggressive when trying to get back to the set speed, as I said in my post. The act of using cruise itself doesn't change shift points.

Now, go and read the last sentence in your post, it says you can use Tow/Haul or you don't have to if you use M5, which implies they do some of the same things. There have been previous posts about Tow/Haul locking out 6th gear and your comment implies it does, at least the way I read it. However, it doesn't lock out 6th..

When I tow and use cruise control my MPG doesn't change.
When I tow and use cruise control it never shifts into 6th gear due to engine load with the travel trailer.
When I enable Tow/Haul it doesn't lock out 6th gear. It's not the same as using M5.

You want me to not comment on gas threads then by all means you can stay out of the diesel threads and let the diesel owners help diesel owners. Otherwise, sorry. Too bad.

Reactions: C3trevor
#22 ·
In my opinion, if you must run it at 4k RPM you need to slow down. I agree with the wind drag being the problem on level ground. Wind drag and speed are directly related. Again, I'm thinking slow down. Sometimes 2 mph is all you need for it to shift up a gear or two so you aren't winding it up so much. Someday soon I'll bet you get a nice tailwind and you will jump for joy at your MPG and power.

Also, the thing about cruise is it simply removes from your senses how much it is pushing the pedal down to the floor when it tries to keep up, that's it...It won't slow down 1 MPH even if it would keep it from downshifting, when most drivers would I think. I do anyway. I avoid using cruise while towing on any hills for that reason. I like to keep a lower RPM using speed.

#23 ·

I have a 2016 Colorado and a full size Coleman trailer (Dry weight 4260) probably around 5000 LB. with extras, last year traveled from Western PA to Washington DC up and down all the hills I averaged around 10.5 MPG.

#24 · (Edited)
Yeah...these midsize trucks CAN tow up 7000 lbs...does not mean they do it well. Diesels will do it better...but then you have to still drive a sluggish diesel the other 95% of the time your not towing. I dont think I would ever attempt to tow anything over 5000 lbs with the gaser. It will do it...but not well.

#25 ·
Yeah...these midsize trucks CAN tow up 7000 lbs...does not mean they do it well. Diesels will do it better...but then you have to still drive a sluggish diesel the other 95% of the time your not towing. I dont think I would ever attempt to tow anything over 5000 lbs with the gaser. It will do it...but not well.
The diesel is sluggish as a daily? Odd...mine isn’t. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Well, it looks like I'm going to be giving a diesel a go.

Wrote off my '16 last Wednesday, t-boned a woman who ran a red light. I was doing 80 kmh / 50 mph. Nobody was hurt, but both my Canyon and her Cruze didn't come out of it too good.

The bright side is I am currently shopping, and looking at a '19 SLT diesel. It will be Canyon #5.

#28 ·
Sorry to hear your Canyon was written off and good to hear no one was hurt.
Hope the diesel serves you well in regards to your gas mileage expectations.

#29 ·
Don't know if it is a lfx vs lgz thing but I never got less than 10 mpg going from chicago to florida and back with a 30ft total length 6000+lb travel trailer. Cruise control at about 67 most of the time (found this was the real sweet spot where the trailer felt 'locked-in', significantly less sway and just a solid ride). Hills are what really made the MPGs suck. 10mpg in the hills, 13.5 in the Indiana flats. Can't imagine having less passing power than the gasser gives (as I've previously shown, the diesel has significantly less wheel torque available in every gear above 1st) but yeah 4k rpms going up hills to maintain 65mph is something some people just can't tolerate, even if the engine is designed to do it and could do it forever. But keep in mind, at the end of the day, the price you are going to pay for a little less engine noise is less power to pass with.

#30 ·
I just went from a Silverado to a Colorado. I haven’t towed my trailer yet but in the Silverado the mileage was about the same as yours. I personally never use cruise control when towing. I just do not like the feel of the transmission shifting in cruise. Mileage would be better going slower and not using cruise.

#31 ·
No cruise control when towing. Eats gas bad. Myself, I Tow in Manual M5, and worst mileage ever with the V6, 14 mpg, 100 degrees, with wind and hilly highway. Transmission temperature, max. 185 ever. Max tow speed for me is 65 mph, absolute max. because my tires are rated at 65 max.

Reactions: impact
#32 ·
It is what I have concluded and been preaching for years. No cruise. Too darn aggressive!
It would be nice if GM opened it up a bit if you enabled tow/haul mode.
Simple 'puter programming that I'm sure some young kid could do....lol

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
#33 ·
Seems to be an irrational fear of cruise going on here. Nothing wrong with cruise if you use it right. No, not if its hunting for example. I don't like it on steep hills, prefer foot on the pedal. But level road and steady load? Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't. Too many assumptions being made about how people use it. Cruise is not automatically bad.

My experience with this trailer has less to do with the weight of it than it does the cross section. I have pulled as much weight before without this experience - but this is the first time I pulled such a large wall. I knew it would have an impact, just didn't expect it to be that big a difference. So I am making some adjustments in how I drive with that trailer.

That's all.

#36 ·
Too many assumptions being made about how people use it. Cruise is not automatically bad.
You will find here that 5 years of towing experience with the V6 by many since the twins were released versus a person who just comes on board and complains about poor gas mileage does not balance out very well.

We offered you a valid suggestion to help with your dilemma. If you chose not to accept it that is fine but understand that our trucks or any other are far from perfect. That is why many modify their trucks or their driving habits.

#34 ·
It’s not an irrational fear of Cruise going on here. The fact is that Cruise was not designed for towing a trailer in multiple conditions. You can use it, but it is not beneficial, unless you are too lazy to operate a gas pedal.

#35 ·
It’s not an irrational fear of Cruise going on here. The fact is that Cruise was not designed for towing a trailer in multiple conditions. You can use it, but it is not beneficial, unless you are too lazy to operate a gas pedal.
ROFLMAO

Priceless. But not at all rational.

#38 ·
Well it sounds like you answered your own question. Why did you post asking for help?

Reactions: impact
#39 ·
Hey Chum since your calling me out!
I just unhitched an hour ago and DO NOT USE CRUISE
What is it you were complaining about again?
Ahhh yes......lol

12.31 MPG US over the last 50 miles. Same terrain as the OP.

#43 ·
Hey Chum since your calling me out!
I just unhitched an hour ago and DO NOT USE CRUISE
What is it you were complaining about again?
Ahhh yes......lol

12.31 MPG US over the last 50 miles. Same terrain as the OP.

Because you want to attribute it to cruise doesn't mean that cruise is what caused my fuel consumption.

I think we are done.

#40 ·
I never use cruise control when towing. Always heard it’s a no no. I tow a 24ft Jayco, about 5500 loaded with water. Being the Baja it’s also about 12 ft tall. Last trip climbing to an elevation of 7000 I got about 11.6 overall, mostly 50-55 on back country roads. On another recent trip I got in the high 10’s. That was an 1800 mile round trip. Quite honest I think it’s pretty good considering what I am asking of the truck. Seems you are already going plenty slow so I would say, not factoring in wind, check your tire pressure and make sure your truck is up to date if not ahead on maintenance items. For tires I run 35 usually on my at3’s all around but bump up the rear to 40 when towing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.