Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I did not say Cruise or Tow/Haul locks out 6th gear. I said that if you cannot stay above above 65 mph, your transmission is constantly in/out of 6th gear, causing the gas mileage to go to S...
My trailer tires are rated at 65 mph Max. and it’s hard for me to stay right on that without variance with road conditions. That is why I have chose to use M5. Getting good mileage. My choice, not yours. Thanks.
I believe that what you are trying to argue about is what I said in my prior post, read it again. Let the V6 guys help the V6 guys.
No need to get your panties in a twist. Re-read your own post, it says if you use cruise and cannot stay at 65 or get into the hills then it will constantly be shifting into/out of 6th. The only reason for that would be cruise being more aggressive when trying to get back to the set speed, as I said in my post. The act of using cruise itself doesn't change shift points.

Now, go and read the last sentence in your post, it says you can use Tow/Haul or you don't have to if you use M5, which implies they do some of the same things. There have been previous posts about Tow/Haul locking out 6th gear and your comment implies it does, at least the way I read it. However, it doesn't lock out 6th..

When I tow and use cruise control my MPG doesn't change.
When I tow and use cruise control it never shifts into 6th gear due to engine load with the travel trailer.
When I enable Tow/Haul it doesn't lock out 6th gear. It's not the same as using M5.

You want me to not comment on gas threads then by all means you can stay out of the diesel threads and let the diesel owners help diesel owners. Otherwise, sorry. Too bad.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
In my opinion, if you must run it at 4k RPM you need to slow down. I agree with the wind drag being the problem on level ground. Wind drag and speed are directly related. Again, I'm thinking slow down. Sometimes 2 mph is all you need for it to shift up a gear or two so you aren't winding it up so much. Someday soon I'll bet you get a nice tailwind and you will jump for joy at your MPG and power.

Also, the thing about cruise is it simply removes from your senses how much it is pushing the pedal down to the floor when it tries to keep up, that's it...It won't slow down 1 MPH even if it would keep it from downshifting, when most drivers would I think. I do anyway. I avoid using cruise while towing on any hills for that reason. I like to keep a lower RPM using speed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2016 4x4 crew all terrain 3.6l gas, 159000 km (99000 miles) on the clock.

I just took my new trailer out for the weekend, figured a relatively close campground over relatively flat highway would be a good first trip to see what I have.

Trailer is 23 feet, 96" wide, 5500 loaded. I bought a Husky Centerline TS WD hitch with sway control.

Mileage was horrible to say the least. On the drive home with cruise set at 104 kmh (65 mph) I was averaging 35 l/100km (6.7 US mpg) over pretty much flat road! RPMs stayed in the 4000 rpm range pretty much full time.

Just over half way back, I dropped cruise to 90 kmh (56 mph) and mileage improved to an average of 25l/100km (9.4 US mpg), and RPM dropped to the 2500 range.

Tow haul on versus off made no difference to RPM - stayed in the same gear at both speeds.

Just as bad as the actual mileage was the fact that I did not feel there was a lot of juice left in the box if I wanted it.

My previous trailer was a 2800 lb tent trailer and I didn't even know it was back there. I've towed 4000 lb enclosed trailers several thousand miles without anything near this kind of hit.

FWIW, my daily driving averages 9.6 l/100km (24.5 US mpg) highway and 14 l/100km (16.8 US mpg) around town. The highway mileage is based on cruising at 110 kmh (68 mph) with RPMs at 1700-1800.

I wasn't expecting Porsche speeds and Prius mileage, but wow, am I ever disappointed.
I have a 2016 Colorado and a full size Coleman trailer (Dry weight 4260) probably around 5000 LB. with extras, last year traveled from Western PA to Washington DC up and down all the hills I averaged around 10.5 MPG.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yeah...these midsize trucks CAN tow up 7000 lbs...does not mean they do it well. Diesels will do it better...but then you have to still drive a sluggish diesel the other 95% of the time your not towing. I dont think I would ever attempt to tow anything over 5000 lbs with the gaser. It will do it...but not well.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yeah...these midsize trucks CAN tow up 7000 lbs...does not mean they do it well. Diesels will do it better...but then you have to still drive a sluggish diesel the other 95% of the time your not towing. I dont think I would ever attempt to tow anything over 5000 lbs with the gaser. It will do it...but not well.
The diesel is sluggish as a daily? Odd...mine isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, it looks like I'm going to be giving a diesel a go.

Wrote off my '16 last Wednesday, t-boned a woman who ran a red light. I was doing 80 kmh / 50 mph. Nobody was hurt, but both my Canyon and her Cruze didn't come out of it too good.

The bright side is I am currently shopping, and looking at a '19 SLT diesel. It will be Canyon #5.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, it looks like I'm going to be giving a diesel a go.

Wrote off my '16 last Wednesday, t-boned a woman who ran a red light. I was doing 80 kmh / 50 mph. Nobody was hurt, but both my Canyon and her Cruze didn't come out of it too good.

The bright side is I am currently shopping, and looking at a '19 SLT diesel. It will be Canyon #5.
Sorry to hear your Canyon was written off and good to hear no one was hurt.
Hope the diesel serves you well in regards to your gas mileage expectations.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Don't know if it is a lfx vs lgz thing but I never got less than 10 mpg going from chicago to florida and back with a 30ft total length 6000+lb travel trailer. Cruise control at about 67 most of the time (found this was the real sweet spot where the trailer felt 'locked-in', significantly less sway and just a solid ride). Hills are what really made the MPGs suck. 10mpg in the hills, 13.5 in the Indiana flats. Can't imagine having less passing power than the gasser gives (as I've previously shown, the diesel has significantly less wheel torque available in every gear above 1st) but yeah 4k rpms going up hills to maintain 65mph is something some people just can't tolerate, even if the engine is designed to do it and could do it forever. But keep in mind, at the end of the day, the price you are going to pay for a little less engine noise is less power to pass with.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just went from a Silverado to a Colorado. I haven’t towed my trailer yet but in the Silverado the mileage was about the same as yours. I personally never use cruise control when towing. I just do not like the feel of the transmission shifting in cruise. Mileage would be better going slower and not using cruise.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
No cruise control when towing. Eats gas bad. Myself, I Tow in Manual M5, and worst mileage ever with the V6, 14 mpg, 100 degrees, with wind and hilly highway. Transmission temperature, max. 185 ever. Max tow speed for me is 65 mph, absolute max. because my tires are rated at 65 max.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is what I have concluded and been preaching for years. No cruise. Too darn aggressive!
It would be nice if GM opened it up a bit if you enabled tow/haul mode.
Simple 'puter programming that I'm sure some young kid could do....lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Seems to be an irrational fear of cruise going on here. Nothing wrong with cruise if you use it right. No, not if its hunting for example. I don't like it on steep hills, prefer foot on the pedal. But level road and steady load? Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't. Too many assumptions being made about how people use it. Cruise is not automatically bad.

My experience with this trailer has less to do with the weight of it than it does the cross section. I have pulled as much weight before without this experience - but this is the first time I pulled such a large wall. I knew it would have an impact, just didn't expect it to be that big a difference. So I am making some adjustments in how I drive with that trailer.

That's all.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It’s not an irrational fear of Cruise going on here. The fact is that Cruise was not designed for towing a trailer in multiple conditions. You can use it, but it is not beneficial, unless you are too lazy to operate a gas pedal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It’s not an irrational fear of Cruise going on here. The fact is that Cruise was not designed for towing a trailer in multiple conditions. You can use it, but it is not beneficial, unless you are too lazy to operate a gas pedal.
ROFLMAO

Priceless. But not at all rational.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Too many assumptions being made about how people use it. Cruise is not automatically bad.
You will find here that 5 years of towing experience with the V6 by many since the twins were released versus a person who just comes on board and complains about poor gas mileage does not balance out very well.

We offered you a valid suggestion to help with your dilemma. If you chose not to accept it that is fine but understand that our trucks or any other are far from perfect. That is why many modify their trucks or their driving habits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You will find here that 5 years of towing experience with the V6 by many since the twins were released versus a person who just comes on board and complains about poor gas mileage does not balance out very well.

We offered you a valid suggestion to help with your dilemma. If you chose not to accept it that is fine but understand that our trucks or any other are far from perfect. That is why many modify their trucks or their driving habits.
I have been happy to receive some of the suggestions presented here.

This is my 4th Canyon, having bought my first in 2004 after owning several FS trucks over the years. I have been towing for many years, various weights, just never a wall. And so yes, I am modifying my habits.

Cruise is not one of those, and it has nothing to do with how long you have been towing. When you are towing on level roads where the truck is not shifting up and down, or hunting, or any one of several undesirable behaviors, cruise on or off makes zero difference in consumption. That is a reality.

As with most things in life, very little is inherently good or bad - its how you use it. If you re-read my original post, there is absolutely nothing in there to suggest that the use of cruise had any impact - it didn't. What did have an impact was my choice of speed, the wind conditions, and the fact I was pulling a wall for the first time.

Categorical statements like never tow with cruise are, IMO, not worth the words used to write them. It is a bias that has nothing to do with any issue I had. Turning cruise off would have made zero difference and so the advice is not helpful. So yes, I choose not to accept that. I already know when it is appropriate to use cruise and when it is not.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Well it sounds like you answered your own question. Why did you post asking for help?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Chum since your calling me out!
I just unhitched an hour ago and DO NOT USE CRUISE
What is it you were complaining about again?
Ahhh yes......lol

12.31 MPG US over the last 50 miles. Same terrain as the OP.

Mileage was horrible to say the least. On the drive home with cruise set at 104 kmh (65 mph) I was averaging 35 l/100km (6.7 US mpg) over pretty much flat road! RPMs stayed in the 4000 rpm range pretty much full time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I never use cruise control when towing. Always heard it’s a no no. I tow a 24ft Jayco, about 5500 loaded with water. Being the Baja it’s also about 12 ft tall. Last trip climbing to an elevation of 7000 I got about 11.6 overall, mostly 50-55 on back country roads. On another recent trip I got in the high 10’s. That was an 1800 mile round trip. Quite honest I think it’s pretty good considering what I am asking of the truck. Seems you are already going plenty slow so I would say, not factoring in wind, check your tire pressure and make sure your truck is up to date if not ahead on maintenance items. For tires I run 35 usually on my at3’s all around but bump up the rear to 40 when towing.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
29 Participants
16WhiteColly
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing