Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 4x4 crew all terrain 3.6l gas, 159000 km (99000 miles) on the clock.

I just took my new trailer out for the weekend, figured a relatively close campground over relatively flat highway would be a good first trip to see what I have.

Trailer is 23 feet, 96" wide, 5500 loaded. I bought a Husky Centerline TS WD hitch with sway control.

Mileage was horrible to say the least. On the drive home with cruise set at 104 kmh (65 mph) I was averaging 35 l/100km (6.7 US mpg) over pretty much flat road! RPMs stayed in the 4000 rpm range pretty much full time.

Just over half way back, I dropped cruise to 90 kmh (56 mph) and mileage improved to an average of 25l/100km (9.4 US mpg), and RPM dropped to the 2500 range.

Tow haul on versus off made no difference to RPM - stayed in the same gear at both speeds.

Just as bad as the actual mileage was the fact that I did not feel there was a lot of juice left in the box if I wanted it.

My previous trailer was a 2800 lb tent trailer and I didn't even know it was back there. I've towed 4000 lb enclosed trailers several thousand miles without anything near this kind of hit.

FWIW, my daily driving averages 9.6 l/100km (24.5 US mpg) highway and 14 l/100km (16.8 US mpg) around town. The highway mileage is based on cruising at 110 kmh (68 mph) with RPMs at 1700-1800.

I wasn't expecting Porsche speeds and Prius mileage, but wow, am I ever disappointed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The aero beat you up. You basically pulled a sail. What were the winds like? It honestly sounds like your 65mph run likely had a headwind, possibly a significant one. Just a 10mph headwind and now you’re pulling a sail at, effectively, 75+. Your lower speed mileage is about what I would expect straight and level no-wind up to ~65. Others will chime in.

As you saw, the engine RPMs tell the story. If it’s working, it’s drinking. I recommend more time and trips and your numbers should normalize. As far as frontal area/aero load, you clearly found this truck’s limits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The aero beat you up. You basically pulled a sail. What were the winds like? It honestly sounds like your 65mph run likely had a headwind, possibly a significant one. Just a 10mph headwind and now you’re pulling a sail at, effectively, 75+. Your lower speed mileage is about what I would expect straight and level no-wind up to ~65. Others will chime in.

As you saw, the engine RPMs tell the story. If it’s working, it’s drinking. I recommend more time and trips and your numbers should normalize. As far as frontal area/aero load, you clearly found this truck’s limits.

I don't think you are wrong. There was a bit of a wind today. The good news is that I did not feel any more buffeted than I do when not towing, so clearly the Husky hitch is doing its job.

Mostly I am just venting. :serious:

·
Registered
790 Posts

Trailer is 23 feet, 96" wide, 5500 loaded. I bought a Husky Centerline TS WD hitch with sway control.

Mileage was horrible to say the least. On the drive home with cruise set at 104 kmh (65 mph) I was averaging 35 l/100km (6.7 US mpg) over pretty much flat road! RPMs stayed in the 4000 rpm range pretty much full time.

Just over half way back, I dropped cruise to 90 kmh (56 mph) and mileage improved to an average of 25l/100km (9.4 US mpg), and RPM dropped to the 2500 range.

FWIW, my daily driving averages 9.6 l/100km (24.5 US mpg) highway and 14 l/100km (16.8 US mpg) around town. The highway mileage is based on cruising at 110 kmh (68 mph) with RPMs at 1700-1800.
There's your problem right there! Do not use cruise control when towing.
You basically have the same setup and live in the same town as I am. Gas mileage cut in half is not unreasonable when towing that trailer. That is what I got on the May 2-4 long weekend with a trip to Bon Echo PP.
100 KPH gives me 2700 RPM's on average. Use Tow / Haul mode and feather the gas pedal and it is as good as it gets. No worries.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with what Stealth said above...you have clearly found this trucks limit. I posted in another thread about recently towing my tractor and brush hog. The weight was easily 5000 pounds, probably a little more and I came to the same conclusion. Also, a travel trailer will give you much more wind resistance than pulling a tractor.

Other than that...I got nothing to ease your pain.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
There's your problem right there! Do not use cruise control when towing.

I use cruise when towing on the freeway when outside of urban/city areas, I don't have a single issue or difference with fuel economy or gearing with cruise vs without. It's all about wind resistance/speed. 65MPH is doable but the truck will often run in 4th at ~2,700RPM, again cruise or not. Dropping down to 60MPH it will cruise at 1,900RPM all day long except over some of the more steep overpasses.

Point is, driving faster than the truck wants to go when towing is going to suck the gas whether you use cruise or not. Slow down, enjoy the drive. 60MPH vs 65MPH is a negligible difference in arrival time at your destination.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think aero was an issue for you as well as "pushing" your truck's limits with the cruise control. Sustained RPM of 4000 would drive me crazy (not from the money for gas but just the fear of the abuse I'm putting the truck through). I recently towed a similar weight from Kansas City to eastern Iowa over long rolling hills with my 2017 ZR2 (which are notorious for crappy mileage due to big tires, heavy weight, and I've leveled mine in the front so aero is worse) and averaged 13 mpg while generally rolling at 70-75 mph. The key to me with rolling terrain is to maintain momentum - coast down the hills (let it roll!) and don't beat the crap out of it on the uphills (you might lose 5-10 mph but return to your desired speed on the next flat / downhill). Car weighs about 3100 pounds and the trailer was something over 2000 pounds.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I use cruise when towing on the freeway when outside of urban/city areas, I don't have a single issue or difference with fuel economy or gearing with cruise vs without. It's all about wind resistance/speed. 65MPH is doable but the truck will often run in 4th at ~2,700RPM, again cruise or not. Dropping down to 60MPH it will cruise at 1,900RPM all day long except over some of the more steep overpasses.
Should point out the obvious--those are diesel engine RPMs.

I've been too busy to tow multiple rental trailers yet, and the second one will be the same frontal area as the first, just heavier. But when the time comes to buy I suspect trailer aerodynamics will be a big part of the purchase equation.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Should point out the obvious--those are diesel engine RPMs.

Indeed, the takeaway I was after wasn't the RPMs but that I have the same MPG and RPMs towing with and without cruise.

Also, folks need to keep in mind that RPMs play a little part in fuel economy, it's all about engine load. Just because the engine is turning higher RPMs doesn't automatically mean it's burning more fuel, especially if the RPMs are where the engine is the most efficient. Similarly, lower RPM can translate into higher load on the engine and higher fuel consumption compared to a higher, more efficient RPM.

Also, running the V6 at 4,000 RPM for extended periods of time isn't abuse and isn't going to cause the engine to wear out "twice as fast" as running at 2,000RPM. Higher RPMs while towing heavy/high-drag trailers with a gas engine are just part of the deal and one reason why I hate towing with gas vehicles, not because it's bad but because the constant engine noise at higher RPMs just wears on me.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I,m pulling a 24ft 4800lb travel trailer and I average about 10-11mpg with a "2015" V6. I so have a somewhat rounded nose on the trailer(GreyWolf)A strong headwind I go down to about 9 and with a tail wind I can get close to 12. I put mine in manual mode in 5th gear so I don't hot 6th/overdrive. at about 65mph I split my time between 4th and 5th with rpm's at 3000 or 2400 unless I have an incline then I'll drop to 3rd at 4k prm's

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

I just took my new trailer out for the weekend, figured a relatively close campground over relatively flat highway would be a good first trip to see what I have.

Tow haul on versus off made no difference to RPM - stayed in the same gear at both speeds.

Just as bad as the actual mileage was the fact that I did not feel there was a lot of juice left in the box if I wanted it.

My previous trailer was a 2800 lb tent trailer and I didn't even know it was back there. I've towed 4000 lb enclosed trailers several thousand miles without anything near this kind of hit.

I wasn't expecting Porsche speeds and Prius mileage, but wow, am I ever disappointed.
It looks like your numbers are comparable to what TFL got in their towing MPG loop (8.7 MPG US). Without checking specs, I suspect your trailer has a larger frontal area, with more drag.

I guess you have to carry a jerry can or two when towing. You might not make it between gas stations in the north, with that economy and fuel tank size.

(11:14 for the V6 result)

·
Registered
387 Posts

Point is, driving faster than the truck wants to go when towing is going to suck the gas whether you use cruise or not. Slow down, enjoy the drive. 60MPH vs 65MPH is a negligible difference in arrival time at your destination.

I just towed my 2017 Wilderness 2750RL (GVWR 6900# loaded it was about 6000#). I went from Virginia to Nevada via I40. From Virginia to OKC i averaged 11.5 mpg (Most days had a tailwind). I would use tow haul mode and turn on my tuner to get to speed then turn both off and then set manual to 5th and set the cruise to 63mph. From OKC to New Mexico I had a headwind and let me tell you I dropped to 8 mpg at 55-60 mph. I did get it up to 15 mpg for a while as I got behind a Tractor trailer that was doing 60mph and I just drafted him for hours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Towing my trailer again the other weekend I set my cruise to 90 kmh / 56 mph and tow haul mode. Averaged 12 MPG / 23 l/100km. I just need to reconcile myself to the need to slow down. ☹

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
First of all, should not be towing with Cruise On, makes the transmission shift in/out of 6th gear if you cannot stay at 65 mph or you get into hills. I tow all time in Manual Mode with the selector set to M5. If you cannot keep your speed to 65, you will feel it shift back to 5th, best to just stay there. I get worst 14 mpg, in worst situations, 100 degree weather, hills, windy day. Try this next time. You can use Tow/Haul or you do not have to, in M5.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think aero was an issue for you as well as "pushing" your truck's limits with the cruise control. Sustained RPM of 4000 would drive me crazy (not from the money for gas but just the fear of the abuse I'm putting the truck through). I recently towed a similar weight from Kansas City to eastern Iowa over long rolling hills with my 2017 ZR2 (which are notorious for crappy mileage due to big tires, heavy weight, and I've leveled mine in the front so aero is worse) and averaged 13 mpg while generally rolling at 70-75 mph. The key to me with rolling terrain is to maintain momentum - coast down the hills (let it roll!) and don't beat the crap out of it on the uphills (you might lose 5-10 mph but return to your desired speed on the next flat / downhill). Car weighs about 3100 pounds and the trailer was something over 2000 pounds.

might want to check the actual weight on uhaul trailers,,I have a 20ft car trailer that weights 2000lbs..I am sure uhaul trailer less then 2000..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Towing my trailer again the other weekend I set my cruise to 90 kmh / 56 mph and tow haul mode. Averaged 12 MPG / 23 l/100km. I just need to reconcile myself to the need to slow down. ☹
Running 70-75 mph towing my 4500+ lbs boat (tall windshield) I average 15-17 mpg. Running 50-ish in construction zones it's 22-24 on level ground. On the highway I'm usually using cruise control but not T/H mode unless it's hilly or a lot of traffic that I need to constantly adjust to. Anything under 65-70 I'm in 5th but above it's in 6th.

But I'm "cheating"...engine is the 2.8.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
First of all, should not be towing with Cruise On, makes the transmission shift in/out of 6th gear if you cannot stay at 65 mph or you get into hills. I tow all time in Manual Mode with the selector set to M5. If you cannot keep your speed to 65, you will feel it shift back to 5th, best to just stay there. I get worst 14 mpg, in worst situations, 100 degree weather, hills, windy day. Try this next time. You can use Tow/Haul or you do not have to, in M5.
Cruise has nothing to do with shifting in/out of 6th, neither does Tow/Haul mode. If you want to keep it out of 6th then M5 is the only way. The only way cruise vs not would make any difference in shifting is if your foot does less-drastic throttle changes to compensate for hills.

Tow/Haul doesn't lock the trans out of 6th, I've tested that as well.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I did not say Cruise or Tow/Haul locks out 6th gear. I said that if you cannot stay above above 65 mph, your transmission is constantly in/out of 6th gear, causing the gas mileage to go to S...
My trailer tires are rated at 65 mph Max. and it’s hard for me to stay right on that without variance with road conditions. That is why I have chose to use M5. Getting good mileage. My choice, not yours. Thanks.
I believe that what you are trying to argue about is what I said in my prior post, read it again. Let the V6 guys help the V6 guys.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
29 Participants
16WhiteColly
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing