Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Colorado zr2
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my experience on my way to work this morning. It was 6:45 AM, about 35 degrees Fahrenheit out, roads were empty and I thought it would be a good idea to see if I can get this little truck to 120mph. So I clicked it to setting four on the Duramax tuner DSP4 switch and let her eat for a solid minute trying to get to 120mph. Sure enough dash lit up like a Christmas tree and my truck starting yelling at me, REDUCED POWER. Oh no what have I done she's toast I said. I rolled to a stop and shut the truck down. Started it back up, she was running fine, just reduced power starring me in the face with a check engine light. I carry a Bluetooth scan tool in the glove box, plug it in and find out the EGTs got a little warm and the truck luckily went into de-rate. Here's the numbers.

Screenshot_20200321-094954.png
Screenshot_20200321-095005.png
Screenshot_20200321-095047.png
Screenshot_20200321-132239.png

So anyways figured I would share. By the way cleared the code and ran my last five minutes to work with no issues. I'll have to beat on her some more and see if anything pops up.

Hope I posted this in the right spot.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I wonder if your vehicle was in a regen when you started this? I know those exhaust temps go up with heavy use, but the two together probably would not be good. Those temps seem a bit high, but most do not that much higher than what you'd see at peak during a regen.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What could possibly go wrong by driving a pickup at 111/120 MPH? I wonder.

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
224 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience on my way to work this morning. It was 6:45 AM, about 35 degrees Fahrenheit out, roads were empty and I thought it would be a good idea to see if I can get this little truck to 120mph. So I clicked it to setting four on the Duramax tuner DSP4 switch and let her eat for a solid minute trying to get to 120mph. Sure enough dash lit up like a Christmas tree and my truck starting yelling at me, REDUCED POWER. Oh no what have I done she's toast I said. I rolled to a stop and shut the truck down. Started it back up, she was running fine, just reduced power starring me in the face with a check engine light. I carry a Bluetooth scan tool in the glove box, plug it in and find out the EGTs got a little warm and the truck luckily went into de-rate. Here's the numbers.

View attachment 387907 View attachment 387908 View attachment 387909 View attachment 387910

So anyways figured I would share. By the way cleared the code and ran my last five minutes to work with no issues. I'll have to beat on her some more and see if anything pops up.

Hope I posted this in the right spot.
I didn't think idiots were allowed to purchase Colorados.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I doubt you did any damage. The truck was probably just, doing what so many vehicles do now, and protecting itself from actions that will/may cause damage if continued. Hopefully, someone with more 2.8 Dmax experience may be able to give you insight on any possible issues created by your actions.

As for the heat you're going to get for sharing your actions, don't get get mad, it's expected when you do something many will consider unwise and post it in a forum.

Good luck

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well with power cranked up to 4 on switch, you were pouring the fuel to it, so I can see those temps would cause a derate, good thing, any hotter and piston melt or head gasket would be toast. Am glad it seems to run fine after, keep beating it like you have and let us know how long it last before you need internal upgrades. I like to see guys push this motor over the limit to see what it will take, and on their dime.
I do hope you were at an airport or other closed circuit to go that fast in a pickup with stock suspension/handling.
Be safe , but beat the crap out of that engine/ trans, I want to know what blows first, and how tranny handles this abuse.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado zr2
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't worry about the heat being thrown at me. Knew it would happen. I just like to push things, you never know what the limits are until you find them. Just thought some people would like to see the outcome. Also I do plan on eventually doing carrillo rods and ARP head stead's at some point. The engine does have over 80k on it and I would like to freshin it up at some point. As long as I don't throw a rod through the block before then.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think our trucks are governed to 95-105 mph. While on our trip around America last year, there was 1 state that had 80 or 85 mph speed limit. You would think that would be fine right ? But no, there were people passing me like I was standing still. I briefly sped up to 95 once, but quickly backed off to the posted speed limit. Some of those people had to be doing over 100 mph. Gave me flashbacks to the Autobahn in the early 80's ! I remember 1x, we were doing 95 mph in a POV & a car passed us going so fast, it literally sounded like a sonic boom as it went by & we couldn't even tell what color it was. Saw it 20 minutes later at a ParkPlatz......it was a Vector W2 Supercar. I have never seen one before, nor since. I used to drive an M915 on the Autobahn everyday, for 3 years. Got to see all kinds of bizzar stuff, high end cars, accidents, superbikes, etc. .

·
Registered
2018 Colorado zr2
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha yes I probably should have gotten a sports car if I wanted to go fast, but I do sometimes use a truck as a truck so makes sense to own one. Speed is almost like a drug to people and they love the adrenaline rush. Also another reason for doing this was because I have had the truck hit it’s limit before and I do believe it was about 100mph like 2019redzr2 stated. The tune had the limiter removed so I was curious, it did not have the factory protections removed though so that’s good😂

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Have driven for miles with the cruise set at 90 mph on I-70 in Utah with it's 80 mph speed limit, as serene as it could be in 6th gear and rolling with traffic, some of it big diesel pickups pulling 5th wheels.

Big difference between 90 and 111 mph though, when one is in a flying brick that is a pickup. I am amazed at the big pickup trucks, pulling big trailers at nearly 100 mph. That is just some good old fashioned redneck 'Merican insanity. When sh%t goes wrong with a trailer at that speed, it has the probability of going spectacularly wrong :LOL:

Most semis travel around 70 mph out there. Time is money, but fuel is money too. It would seem the two intersect at around 70 mph for the big trucks. They have this stuff figured out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
As far as mpg, mine is happiest at 65-70. Personally I think it is awesome to see diesel trucks rolling like thunder. As long as nothing goes wrong. We went to Fla. once in our 17' Toyota 4 Runner & was doing a steady 70 mph when a F450 dually 6x6 on 38's came by so fast, his wind pushed me to the shoulder of the road. He must have been doing triple digits. He was pulled over about 30 min later by Fla HP, getting his ticket as we drove by. 15 min later, he came roaring by again, doing the same speed as he was before. LOL.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Here is my speed machine. Can roll it on at 25 mph in 6th gear at under 2,000 RPM and it will smoothly pull to 160 MPH and just shy of 12,000 RPM, all in 6th gear. All that power and it has comfy high bars and a fluffy seat. It is a sport bike for old guys.

And I have roads like this near me. She gets let off the chain now and then.

Liter bikes are lots of fun ;)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Love the Yamaha Duken4evr, here is my 1700 V4 200 HP stock Vmax. Stock performance there is no better adrenaline rush on 2 wheels, 9.9 sec in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had a dual sport DR650 for 11 years just to drive to work. As soon as I retired I got rid of it. I almost died every day I drove it. Have to pretend that you are the invisible man, cause NOBODY SEES YOU ! Also there was an accident 25 yrs ago that stuck with me. They said the estimated speed of impact was 160-180 mph. Killed a family of 4 & literally cut the car in half. No crotch rockets for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts