Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highway Vibration on 2019 Colorado

23K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  gherbert 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 Colorado, 8 speed, V6,with under 2000 miles. Yesterday was my first chance to take a long trip and noticed that any time I would accelerate (50mph to 70mph) I would get a vibration .It felt like road rumble at first and I thought it was the road. After awhile I realized it was only when I would increase speed. As soon as I took my foot off the gas it stopped. I will be at the dealers first thing tomorrow. This is my first Chevy in years and I can say I am not pleased. I hope it's not a transmission problem.
Anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
Is it under light/moderate acceleration? If so it sounds like it might be the dreaded "Shudder". The 8 speed transmissions have a known issue with shudder. Use the "Search" function or look around the forums you'll see a lot of discussion on this subject

TSB# 18-NA-355, directs the dealership to test with a PIcoScope for proper diagnostic frequency and if found to flush and replace the Transmission Fluid with the newest Synth LV ATF HP (Blue Label) Fluid.

More recent discussions have indicated a newer TSB that does not require the PicoScope test and is based on build dates. However, I personally have not seen that actually TSB in its entirety.

I had TSB 18-NA-355 done to my truck with excellent results (so far). I am sure your dealer will be aware of the situation. The procedure (Flush & fill) takes about 3 hours and around 20 qts of transmission fluid (said 22 qts on my work order).

Reactions: marcus1
#4 ·
That previous TSB has been updated in July 2019, it is now TSB #19-NA-121. Per this new TSB, if a customer brings a vehicle in for shudder, the technician can skip the prior diagnosis and go straight to the fluid flush. May mention this to the Service Advisor.

#5 ·
I honestly don’t really feel anything on the highway, but where I notice a vibration most is when I’m going on one specific on-ramp.

I take the highway back from college and there’s a on-ramp that is on an incline. They recently re-paved it, so it’s very smooth, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I drive on that ramp, I feel a shudder/vibration while accelerating to get up it.

This is really the only time I’ve felt anything that resembles our infamous shudder, but I just figured it was that road, because it’s only happened there.

Anyone think this is the shudder, or could it be the road? (It happens every time on light acceleration up the inclined ramp at around 20-30 mph)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I never felt it on the highway, but there is an offramp near me with an incline that would make it shudder every time. For mine, lugging up a slight incline, 40-55mpg or so, steady accelerator would get it to kick in. It will only get more frequent once it starts, so definitely get them to flush with the most recent TSB. 18-NA-355 fixed mine up and it's never given another hint of anything squirrelly. Evidently, they don't even have to do the picoscope diagnostic anymore so it shouldn't be a big deal to get taken care of.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 CCSB 4X4

#7 ·
The updated TSB from the one you mentioned is now TSB #19-NA-121.

#8 ·
I have a 2019 Colorado, 8 speed, V6,with under 2000 miles. Yesterday was my first chance to take a long trip and noticed that any time I would accelerate (50mph to 70mph) I would get a vibration .It felt like road rumble at first and I thought it was the road. After awhile I realized it was only when I would increase speed. As soon as I took my foot off the gas it stopped. I will be at the dealers first thing tomorrow. This is my first Chevy in years and I can say I am not pleased. I hope it's not a transmission problem.
So this is a follow up to the vibration/ shutter. I went to the dealer this morning and without any issue brought the truck in for a flush. The only problem was that the machine used to do the flush broke down. I should get the truck back by tomorrow. They did show me the fluid that was drained and it was pretty dirty. They do a triple flush to get out all impurities. They gave me a 2019 Forester as a free loaner. Can't wait to get rid of it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

#11 ·
Hey just a follow up on the transmission flush. The flush worked out fine so far but I did notice when I got the truck back that my MPG had crashed. Turns out that to do the flush the engine needs to be running so the gauge reads poor MPG. Now that I have driven a couple of days it reads fine. So don't panic. One last thing I have the 6 cylinder and was amazed that I got 29 MPG highway and 25 city. As good as my RAV 4.

#16 ·
I took my 2019 Canyon in for this yesterday and they acted like they had no idea what i was talking about. They kept it overnight because they said it didn't do anything when they test drove it and they wanted to try a cold start in the morning. When I picked it up they said it never did it for us. It did it off and on all the way home. They told me if it gets bad enough bring it back and they will take another look.

#18 ·
Definitely take it to another dealer. According to the most recent revision of TSB 18-NA-355 there is no need for diagnostic testing, only customer complaint. You might also print out the TSB and take it with you, but a dealer who has done the work before should immediately recognize the issue and perform the TSB without further question. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163890-9999.pdf

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 4x4

#17 ·
That's a typical dealer for you. They always want you to drive it till it breaks or gets so bad that it won't function. those guys just don't want to do it, they know what's wrong. Maybe try another dealer and talk right to the service manager and tell them how dissatisfied you were with the last dealership and their services. See if you can get them to do a ride along and you drive so you can show them what it's doing. I had to go too 3 dealers before I found a good one and the tech who worked on my truck was good and very knowledgeable and also had a colorado.

#20 ·
Currently my 2018 Colorado has been sitting at a dealership with a vibration problem after the flush.The dealer told me they don't have a transmission tech to asses the problem, I told them i would get it towed to another dealership that has a tech.GM customer care did not like that idea because the dealer told GM customer care that it was safe to drive.I told GM customer care that the dealer had no right to tell you if it is safe to drive because they don't have a tech to asses the problem. So i gave them a couple of scenarios to think about. 1st scenario i pick up the truck drive away no problem untill i find a tech to repair the problem. 2nd scenario i drive the truck away, the problem with the vibration causes me to lose total control of the vehicle, i wind up hitting a school bus full of kids killing them all. Ya the truck is still there and it seems no one wants to to get back to me concerning this problem. My son owns the all new AT4 and guess what he has the hard shift problem in his transmission too not sure what he is going to do yet becuase he bought it at the same dealership my truck is sitting at good luck with our problems. Don't be afraid to use my scenarios with your dealership when you bring it in for your problem.

#21 ·
My 2019 2.8 Duramax, 2nd, crew cab, long bed vibrates like crazy above 65mph. I had a one piece driveline, they built a new one and only used the yolk from the transmission end. All vibrations were gone. The Driveline shop told me they put a sound deadening material inside the driveline. If it breaks loose, it will create a situation where the driveline cannot be balanced. If you are experiencing a vibration, put your transmission in neutral. If the vibration stops, then it is a transmission caused shutter. If the vibration does not change, then it is a constant rotating part, most likely the driveline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.