Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Would you still get the 2.8l diesel

101 - 110 of 110 Posts
I'd buy it again, for sure. As it is, I'm aiming to keep it until at least 300K, and then likely go electric for the replacement.
same here

hard to imagine what other ICE engine'd thing i would replace it with that can manage this blend of fuel economy, towing, pickup truck capability, etc.

i hate the front seats - replacing the drivers seat with the 6 way adjustable later year ones helped but its still not as good as it oughta be - but otherwise i think its going to get run until i can find something electric to replace it.

same here

hard to imagine what other ICE engine'd thing i would replace it with that can manage this blend of fuel economy, towing, pickup truck capability, etc.

i hate the front seats - replacing the drivers seat with the 6 way adjustable later year ones helped but its still not as good as it oughta be - but otherwise i think its going to get run until i can find something electric to replace it.
Looking for info on an Engine Control Module. check engine diagnosis from GMC told me it was the problem. Trouble is there is none available in USA or Canada for my 2016 2.8 l canyon. Anyone else have this problem?

Since I've had several gasoline motors and 1 diesel that was running fine at over 300K miles, anything less than that I'd consider a total failure given that I treat my engines pretty darn well. Amsoil in everything and good air filtration. Should not need anything else outside of maintenance items.

When I was racing motorcycles and driving all over, I did 450K in my '88 Nissan Hardbody, it was super slow with the I4 and it was lifted, so I basically drove it full throttle all of the time. It was fine when I sold it.

My stepdad has over 500K on his 7.3 Powerstroke.

I like my truck a lot but don't plan on buying any more diesels just because gasoline costs a lot less, negating any economy savings. Also, gasoline engines are probably more reliable at this point, and they are certainly cheaper to repair.

I don't have high miles and in fact have exceedingly low miles due to living on an island for several years. But I hit 6 years on Ragnar next month and still no major issues other than the turbo back in 2019. That being said, I'm starting to have little electrical hiccups that I think are pretty common for GM vehicles starting at about that age, and likely to get worse. Nothing that will leave me stranded, but minor annoyances.

I still love the truck, but I'm keeping my eye out for a replacement. I'm certainly not in a hurry, but I don't think it will make my original "10 year ownership" target. Now's a horrible time to buy a vehicle, but I will take a strong look at the new ZR2 2500 pickup when deets are released soon. I expect it will be at or near $100k though, which would be a deal-breaker for me. No vehicle is worth that.

Ive reached 148k. My NoX sensors are finally failing and giving me the poor DEF warnings as of last week. I have had zero other issues with the truck related to engine or emissions problems other than ones i created myself by installing aftermarket hardware, and were quickly fixed. I have reached the point i need the timing belt done and having trouble getting dealers to call me back with a price.

I'm new to this thread; I have a 2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4 wheel drive that I bought new and just hit 189,000 miles. While I've had virtually no issues with the engine I've had plenty with regards to the transmission which started right around 120,000 miles. I had the fluid changed several times at the dealer which did fix it but it returned with a vengeance every time after 3-4 months of driving. After the temp fixes I brought it to a transmission shop who changed the fluid once again and added some sort of conditioner. It worked well for 3-4 months at which time I brought it back to the dealer who said it was my torque converter. They changed the torque converter and I got a little less than a year out of it and it started acting up again. I brought it to another (non- dealership) transmission shop who tore it down and said the valve body was the source of my problems and likely was from the first time the shudder started. Changing a torque converter or changing fluids was only temporarily masking the true culprit. They ended up putting a reman/new transmission in it ($5,506) of which carries the factory GMC warranty for 3 years or 100,000 miles. Between all of the fluid changes, conditioner, and torque converter I easily spent upwards of 4 grand of which not a dime went to the actual underlying problem. All that being said be very aware if you start having a shudder with your tranny. Take it to a reputable transmission shop and get an accurate diagnosis. I hope this helps someone else there that may be going through it. For the record, the shop owner told me he gets 5-6 late model Chevy/GMC Trucks/Tahoes/Suburbans a week needing new trannys most of which have under 120K miles.

Just clocked over 103500 miles & figured it is time to change the injectors, timing belt & water pump. I bought it at 87500 but hey, it’s a diesel right? Should be good for 300000…
Those three services plus supporting maintenance is going to be about $5000. I don’t have the tooling or expertise/experience to try doing the work in the driveway.
Truck has been trouble free (except for an alternator pulley at 95k) for me so far & I hope to stay that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just clocked over 103500 miles & figured it is time to change the injectors, timing belt & water pump. I bought it at 87500 but hey, it’s a diesel right? Should be good for 300000…
Those three services plus supporting maintenance is going to be about $5000. I don’t have the tooling or expertise/experience to try doing the work in the driveway.
Truck has been trouble free (except for an alternator pulley at 95k) for me so far & I hope to stay that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timing belt and water pump aren't due until 150k, but i understand wanting to get them done. Curious what makes you think the injectors need to be replaced?

101 - 110 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.