Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

Would you still get the 2.8l diesel

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
2016 163,184 miles
Excluding normal maintenance items
New motor at 40k
Since then:
Torque converter 87503 miles
Reductant heater a&b mess
Timing belt water pump 142909 miles
Alternator bearings shot at 160,000 miles
Tranny lines leaking at radiator where rubber fitting to steel line is, 161000 miles
Turbo hot side pipe and rubber hose replaced 162000

it’s got great brake pad wear but when it breaks, it’s expensive.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado CCLB Z71 diesel Rainforest Green
283 Posts
2016 163,184 miles
New motor at 40k
Since then:
Tranny lines leaking at radiator where rubber fitting to steel line is, 161000 miles

What year was your motor replaced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have owned diesels since 1982, most all of them VWs. I have owned my 2018 baby Duramax since 2017. It currently has close to 50,000 miles on it and I have not had one seconds problem with it. I have never, ever thought about where to buy diesel for the quality of the diesel. Heck, I just felt lucky to find diesel a lot of the times. I used to put Farm diesel in those old VW's but had to stop because they started growing mold in the tank plus it was illegal. Even given today's diesel technology, I think the diesel engine is a forgiving engine and diesel fuel is robust and economical. I say drive your diesels and enjoy them and maintain them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
2016 163,184 miles
New motor at 40k
Since then:

Still happy with it despite the problems you've had and the extra expense of repairs? How is it running now with the mileage you have? Any problems with transmission?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello everyone and thank you for all the great information provided on this forum. I am a new member.
(2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2.8L Diesel. 90,000)
I've been following every blog, video, and forum for input on everyone's experiences with the Colorado and canyon. I personally have had quite the experience with three different Canyons in the last 3 years. I eventually traded my last canyon 2015 V6 W/ 6" lift for my current vehicle. I've been very interested in the small 4 cylinder turbo diesel for many years prior to it's release. I traded my lifted gas canyon because I was very unhappy with it. Story for another day. The reason for my post is to renew the topic of Diesel longevity. Any one out there with over 100K? 150K? I've looked for the positive in this truck. I continue to be optimistic because this truck is not cheap, and I love it. I keep hoping for the best but currently, She's back in the shop for the 4th. time, in the year I've owned her, and it's looking like premature engine death from a faulty injector. I've read through related topics on this forum that ended up in engine replacement. My situation was actually like the guy who was towing his boat up a slight grade. Shaking like tire was flat, loss of power. Got off the freeway, crawled to a stop, no power. Shaking.. Shaking in park too.
No check engine light but stabiltrak and tbs illuminated. Left vehicle off for a couple minutes to see if it would reset by itself. Started vehicle briefly to look under hood for obvious issue. Engine shaking violently. Nothing else looked out of place, same indicators on dash. Plugged in scanner and showed misfire and balance issues cylinder#2. As I was getting her on the tow truck I saw the splatter of oil all over the undercarriage starting at the rear of engine. Stumped until I read some info on the forum because the oil and the misfire didn't seem related and came on so sudden. I did notice a bit of ticking and had planned to bring it in for service.
Currently, truck is at the dealership. They can't even diagnose it until 01/14/22. I'll keep anyone interested posted. All stock with no tone. Looking forward to hearing some testimonials from happy Diesel owners but I am also very curious about what other problems people are having and how many miles are on your vehicle. I'm thinking a lot of the issues were in the 2016-2018 models.
I Have a 2017 2.8 diesel and really like it. Yes, it has been in the shop for emissions related DEF issues. Diesel particulate filter replaced at 55k and DEF heater at 58k and neither was covered under my 100,000 mile power-train warranty. My friend had his 2016 diesel up to 155k and had the same 2 issues, but the rest of his truck was trouble free. Both "stock"! He did pull an equipment trailer at 6000#'s often.The only other thing he did was replace the timing chain at 100k which is scheduled ($800). You'll read of problems with them, but overall, I think they're a pretty good trucks. Just for info, another friend has a 2018 Yukon and had her motor replace under warranty at 38k, so all vehicles can have issues. Sorry you ahd issues with yours. I hope GM does right for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello everyone and thank you for all the great information provided on this forum. I am a new member.
(2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2.8L Diesel. 90,000)
I've been following every blog, video, and forum for input on everyone's experiences with the Colorado and canyon. I personally have had quite the experience with three different Canyons in the last 3 years. I eventually traded my last canyon 2015 V6 W/ 6" lift for my current vehicle. I've been very interested in the small 4 cylinder turbo diesel for many years prior to it's release. I traded my lifted gas canyon because I was very unhappy with it. Story for another day. The reason for my post is to renew the topic of Diesel longevity. Any one out there with over 100K? 150K? I've looked for the positive in this truck. I continue to be optimistic because this truck is not cheap, and I love it. I keep hoping for the best but currently, She's back in the shop for the 4th. time, in the year I've owned her, and it's looking like premature engine death from a faulty injector. I've read through related topics on this forum that ended up in engine replacement. My situation was actually like the guy who was towing his boat up a slight grade. Shaking like tire was flat, loss of power. Got off the freeway, crawled to a stop, no power. Shaking.. Shaking in park too.
No check engine light but stabiltrak and tbs illuminated. Left vehicle off for a couple minutes to see if it would reset by itself. Started vehicle briefly to look under hood for obvious issue. Engine shaking violently. Nothing else looked out of place, same indicators on dash. Plugged in scanner and showed misfire and balance issues cylinder#2. As I was getting her on the tow truck I saw the splatter of oil all over the undercarriage starting at the rear of engine. Stumped until I read some info on the forum because the oil and the misfire didn't seem related and came on so sudden. I did notice a bit of ticking and had planned to bring it in for service.
Currently, truck is at the dealership. They can't even diagnose it until 01/14/22. I'll keep anyone interested posted. All stock with no tone. Looking forward to hearing some testimonials from happy Diesel owners but I am also very curious about what other problems people are having and how many miles are on your vehicle. I'm thinking a lot of the issues were in the 2016-2018 models.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I personally can vouch for the 2.8L myself. I have a 2016 Colorado with the 2.8L and getting ready to hit 189K miles. I've had no problem with the engine and the thing is running as strong as when I bought it. Granted I don't do alot of towing with the truck, but I do a moderate amount of off roading/overlanding with it. I've done research after buying the truck and have read from many owners of diesels that they recommend adding additives to the fuel tank to keep the injectors clean, lubricate and boost the cetane levels. I've been doing that almost from the start of ownership and haven't had a problem (yet). I haven't done any mods to the engine or the truck itself except for putting on a PUTCO Venture Tech truck rack. I do plan on building it up as a overlanding rig, suspension is next. Other than my heater coil taking a dump (I'm pretty sure the dealership had something to do with it, but that's for another time). I've had no problems with my engine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
2016 Colorado diesel 179,000 miles so far. I haven't had any major issues yet. Though, I do have a story about the most major issue I had with mine that threw the stabilitrack code. Let me start off with first that I run Dexos 2 and no other additives. This is my first diesel, and I'm too afraid to damage my engine in some way. So I started getting a stabilitrack error that would pop up every couple months. To clear it, all I did was unplug the connector on the accelerator and plug it back in. As the problem started happening more often, I found it was happening when I was on a slight grade and when I accelerated hard. Now, I'm thinking your issue is different because your engine was shaking violently. I don't recall mine shaking. The issue ended up being two things. The first was something I found in a bulletin for, I believe, 2015-2017 Colorados and Canyons. The wires that run near the AC compressor wear and throw the stabilitrack error. The other issue was the fuel sensor on the fuel rail. Since I had those fixed, I haven't had the issue since. The only other real problem I've had with the truck was some code like P057. It was a trailer brake code that beeped at me all the time. It ended up just being a connector on the ECM needing some dielectric grease. Other than that, everything runs fine. I'm hoping to go another 100,000+! I hope your problem ends up being something simple like mine was.
I am at 57,000 mi, and I have had the stabilitrak light 4 times since I bought the truck new (68 mi) in April 2019. The first at 20,000 mi, along with the CEL. Turned out to be a code related to #2 and 3 injectors misfiring although I detected no vibrations or odd noises. The injectors were replaced under warranty, and I have heard nothing back as to the cause of the "failures". The other 3 times, no CEL and stabilitrak cleared itself when I restarted the motor. In those 3 instances, I did visit a dealer and there were no codes. I have followed up on my own regarding any wiring harness issues, but I have not detected any. Otherwise the truck runs great.

A post on this thread stating the owner was looking to replace his '18 Canyon with a '22 Canyon so he could get the last diesel makes sense, but I have too much invested in my truck AND, with my luck I'd get the "grenade motor" from the production week! I will stay with the "devil I know"!

Reactions: Harobmxer87

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 LB CC 2.8. I am at 78K. I had CEL come on steady 70K. The regen basically quit. I trashed the emissions and went full delete because I refuse to spend $1 on BS emmisions. I use schaeffer 5-30 oil. Transmission serviced at 75K. Everything was in great shape. I am a diesel guy because I like the way they drive. I can't stand gas pots kicking down everytime you touch the gas. I very seldom go over 2200RPM. Stock mileage was averaging about 26-28. My mileage now is about 30-33.

I have towed hard and heavy with this. I have been combination weight over 15K numerous times. I had 10K miles on this truck in the first 3 months going back and forth between OR and ID hunting. Steap hard hill climbs and long steep descents in 4L. This is a great setup for me, and I am looking forward to some really high miles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Still happy with it despite the problems you've had and the extra expense of repairs? How is it running now with the mileage you have? Any problems with transmission?
Yes, I like my fuel mileage and towing capacity, can’t be beat. Runs the same. I miss a fast vehicle but oh well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What happened with the other motor? How did it die? How long did it take to be replaced
#4 piston, bottom one side was blown out. Rod bearing literally smushed like a pancake. Dealer not sure on issue. I say the wrist pin clip failed and wrist pin slid out. They replaced injectors just in case. It took over a month.

·
Registered
777 Posts
2018 LB CC 2.8. I am at 78K. I had CEL come on steady 70K. The regen basically quit. I trashed the emissions and went full delete because I refuse to spend $1 on BS emmisions. I use schaeffer 5-30 oil. Transmission serviced at 75K. Everything was in great shape. I am a diesel guy because I like the way they drive. I can't stand gas pots kicking down everytime you touch the gas. I very seldom go over 2200RPM. Stock mileage was averaging about 26-28. My mileage now is about 30-33.

I have towed hard and heavy with this. I have been combination weight over 15K numerous times. I had 10K miles on this truck in the first 3 months going back and forth between OR and ID hunting. Steap hard hill climbs and long steep descents in 4L. This is a great setup for me, and I am looking forward to some really high miles.
Did you have trouble removing the emissions stuff while it was throwing an error?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It took multiple tries to get the program into the truck cleanly.
  1. clear the codes
  2. load the program
  3. pull the noted fuses
  4. start and drive test...
  5. if codes pop up, repeat the load again.
I cut the pipe in the middle. I saved everything so I could actually put it back together. The only "destruction" was cutting the studs off the downpipe to get it out. you can remove the wheelwell and pull it out the side. The removal is only a couple hrs tops if you are good with tools.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my '16 CCLB for 8 months, I'm the 2nd owner purchased at 72K
Currently just shy of 109K, I absolutely love the truck. I've been running Diesel Kleen mostly every fillup. Change oil every 5K, doesn't burn anything.
My only issue so far has been the 5th injector (regen) failed on a work trip and went reduced power. Limped home a few hours, and got it fixed up on my own.
The only thing that concerns me on this truck is the emission equipment

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
In 2016, I bought a used 2016 Z71 with <10K miles on it.

I did routine maintenance on schedule. I used AC Delco filters. The drive train was bone stock, and not tuned. I used it like a truck, and generally beat the snot out of it. I drove it to 100K miles in all kinds of terrain and weather. The only failure was a NoX sensor. I never had to fix anything.

I liked it so much, I traded it for a new 2020 just like it. It now has 33K miles, and it has been trouble free as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I finally heard back from Coulter GMC today.
#2 injector failed and damaged piston. Cost for new engine and install is $13,800. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty. Got the truck used with 74K miles. I love the truck but this has me wondering whether to roll the dice again or fold. I'm happy to hear that there are a lot of 2016 2.8L's out there that are going the distance trouble free

·
Registered
236 Posts
#2 injector failed and damaged piston. Cost for new engine and install is $13,800. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty. Got the truck used with 74K miles. I love the truck but this has me wondering whether to roll the dice again or fold. I'm happy to hear that there are a lot of 2016 2.8L's out there that are going the distance trouble free
Well, no question that warranty was a wise decision. Thx for closing the loop on your travails.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado CCLB Z71 diesel Rainforest Green
283 Posts
Glanced back through this thread. Assuming they will replace the failed inj as well? If you plan on keeping the truck after the engine replacement, I would recommend that you replace the rest of the injs, even if you have to pay for them out of your own pocket. And use some fuel additive going forward.

I had to have my engine replaced due to a failed #1 inj holing my piston. My replacement motor(and all new injs), I think, is better than my original in that it loses no oil between changes. Had to pay for it all, due to evidence of having been tuned. Mine was replaced at 48k miles, and I'm at 78k now almost 2 1/2 yrs later. Ordered truck new, delivered Feb 2016. Love how it drives, especially just effortless cruising down the hwy, and the towing. Not getting rid of it.

Edit...In your case, since it's warrantied, get the new engine in it and drive for a few more years. It's cheaper than a new truck.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts