Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

Would you still get the 2.8l diesel

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Update: my little diesel has been pulled into the shop today and I will have the initial verdict tomorrow sometime. I miss the truck already. Honestly this has been my favorite truck so far and I am hoping to get it back and start driving it again. With any vehicle your going to have some small and big issues. It's a part of life. I am unfortunately one of the people that got a major problem. I love my Canyon and would not give it up for any other truck. If I get the claim rejected and have to pay 12K-14K out of pocket and GM doesn't step up..... That's another story. I will Honestly be very upset with GM and probably start looking at other options. Honestly, I bought the truck for Diesel reliability and fuel economy. The truck delivers both but they definitely have a bad batch of trucks out there and it really needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm wondering if the ticking is the sound of the bad injector before damage to the piston happens, or the sound of a small hole already in the piston that just burns bigger until you get a big hole all at once. Could you hear the bad ticking inside the truck while you were driving with the windows up, or only when outside or with the windows down?
I heard ticking amplified when I was in a drive through or next to a vehicle at a stop light but it was deemed normal when I took it in to the dealer for a service. That was months ago. Before the recent break down I had noticed it was ticking a little bit louder and a bit of vibration. I drove to work and back, probably about 40 miles. I couldn't hear it in the vehicle just at certain times like before. The day of the break down I was driving along and it seemed like I had a flat tire. That's when it started shaking and I had to find a quick exit during rapid deceleration. I'm wondering about the "Typewriter ticking" Anyone else have that going on. I've heard that a little ticking in these engines is normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I own a 2016 2.8 Colorado and currently have 138,000 miles on it. I have had a recall on the exhaust system and had a Knox sensor go bad that's it so far . But since the recall service the exhaust doesn't seem to regenerate anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️ But runs great I did however put the Banks pedal monster on and that woke the truck up big time
I'm happy to here you are getting some miles logged with your Diesel. I'm confident there are a lot of people out there with "the good ones". I'm hoping more people will report their success. I'd really like to hear some stories about 200K+ plus and still running like a clock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm curious on this too. I'm in the market for a preowned 2016-2017 diesel. It appears from my 2+ weeks of scrolling through these forms it appears the platform is pretty solid? I just saw a 16' Colorado at a dealership yesterday. It has 253,000 miles. Truck is very clean and runs great...So I guess its a hit and miss?
Nice to hear of another high mileage 2.8l still running. Would love to hear from the previous owner of that one.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I doubt it, that would lead to a clogged filter or injector, not a hole in the piston.
I think he's saying the metal from the pump kills the injector which then drills a hole in the unlucky cylinder's piston below it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think he's saying the metal from the pump kills the injector which then drills a hole in the unlucky cylinder's piston below it.
I suppose that's possible, though I don't remember reading about any failed HP pumps on the dead motors. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2016 Colorado diesel 179,000 miles so far. I haven't had any major issues yet. Though, I do have a story about the most major issue I had with mine that threw the stabilitrack code. Let me start off with first that I run Dexos 2 and no other additives. This is my first diesel, and I'm too afraid to damage my engine in some way. So I started getting a stabilitrack error that would pop up every couple months. To clear it, all I did was unplug the connector on the accelerator and plug it back in. As the problem started happening more often, I found it was happening when I was on a slight grade and when I accelerated hard. Now, I'm thinking your issue is different because your engine was shaking violently. I don't recall mine shaking. The issue ended up being two things. The first was something I found in a bulletin for, I believe, 2015-2017 Colorados and Canyons. The wires that run near the AC compressor wear and throw the stabilitrack error. The other issue was the fuel sensor on the fuel rail. Since I had those fixed, I haven't had the issue since. The only other real problem I've had with the truck was some code like P057. It was a trailer brake code that beeped at me all the time. It ended up just being a connector on the ECM needing some dielectric grease. Other than that, everything runs fine. I'm hoping to go another 100,000+! I hope your problem ends up being something simple like mine was.

·
Registered
647 Posts
2016 Colorado diesel 179,000 miles so far. I haven't had any major issues yet. Though, I do have a story about the most major issue I had with mine that threw the stabilitrack code. Let me start off with first that I run Dexos 2 and no other additives. This is my first diesel, and I'm too afraid to damage my engine in some way. So I started getting a stabilitrack error that would pop up every couple months. To clear it, all I did was unplug the connector on the accelerator and plug it back in. As the problem started happening more often, I found it was happening when I was on a slight grade and when I accelerated hard. Now, I'm thinking your issue is different because your engine was shaking violently. I don't recall mine shaking. The issue ended up being two things. The first was something I found in a bulletin for, I believe, 2015-2017 Colorados and Canyons. The wires that run near the AC compressor wear and throw the stabilitrack error. The other issue was the fuel sensor on the fuel rail. Since I had those fixed, I haven't had the issue since. The only other real problem I've had with the truck was some code like P057. It was a trailer brake code that beeped at me all the time. It ended up just being a connector on the ECM needing some dielectric grease. Other than that, everything runs fine. I'm hoping to go another 100,000+! I hope your problem ends up being something simple like mine was.
Have you done a timing belt?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thank you for sharing your experience. Did your check engine light come on as well? Mine never did. Just the stabilitrack code. I would think a misfire would cause the check engine light to come on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience. Did your check engine light come on as well? Mine never did. Just the stabilitrack code. I would think a misfire would cause the check engine light to come on.
My check engine light only came on for the trailer brake issue that happened to be separate. No light for the stabilitrack. Still, fingers crossed for you it's something not so bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you done a timing belt?
I didn't do the timing belt myself. I needed the truck for work, so I didn't want to pull the old one out and find out I needed to order a pulley or something and lose a day. If you have it done, make sure they reset the counter. The dealer forgot on mine, told me to pull an ECM fuse for 20 seconds, and it put my truck into limp mode. I was forced to take it back. Two weeks later, they stick me with a $900 bill and a part it didn't need. I told them it just needed to be reflashed. They didn't even mention they reflashed on the service report. However, I had the truck reflashed before from a time there was a trace amount of gasoline in a diesel pump, and it sets both trips to 28,000 something (at least an old version.) After that $900 repair, same thing happened with my trips. I guess this was just a roundabout way of saying take it somewhere other than a dealer if you want the timing belt to be changed.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I guess this was just a roundabout way of saying take it somewhere other than a dealer if you want the timing belt to be changed.
I was just thinking today about my 3 year warranty expiring soon on my Colorado, as it already did on my wife's Subaru, and how I don't care. The powertrain warranty is probably a bit more important, but I actually look forward to finding a good diesel mechanic to work on my truck. After the experience I had with the dealer not being able to deal with my DEF cap I really don't have a lot of confidence in them dealing with other diesel issues. And I totally lost confidence in the wife's Subaru dealer. Second worst dealership I've ever dealt with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I was just thinking today about my 3 year warranty expiring soon on my Colorado, as it already did on my wife's Subaru, and how I don't care. The powertrain warranty is probably a bit more important, but I actually look forward to finding a good diesel mechanic to work on my truck. After the experience I had with the dealer not being able to deal with my DEF cap I really don't have a lot of confidence in them dealing with other diesel issues. And I totally lost confidence in the wife's Subaru dealer. Second worst dealership I've ever dealt with.
That's my biggest concern with having my truck at the dealer right now. I really hope what ever happens from this point with the repair that I get a good Diesel Technician that is careful and meticulous with the work he does. One mistake and I'm back in this situation again down the road and out of warranty.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's a sad state of affairs now days. Remember when you could actually bring your vehicle to the dealer and they just FIXED it without issue. And, if you needed a part for a 10+ year old car it was on the shelf and you were out the door with it in hand. Boy have times changed....

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
It's a sad state of affairs now days. Remember when you could actually bring your vehicle to the dealer and they just FIXED it without issue. And, if you needed a part for a 10+ year old car it was on the shelf and you were out the door with it in hand. Boy have times changed....
I don't remember those days. The first new car I bought circa 1981 was the worst service department I've ever dealt with. Rain gutter molding was not attached right and it took them five tries to fix it, including one trip where they changed out the wrong side, but they didn't fix it right. They spread the sheet metal apart on the car and inserted a coat hanger, then clamped the gutter down on that. If failed after they went into bankruptcy. But Ford fixed it out of warranty, after they refused and I complained to the state Attorney General.

The dealer I used for service on the next car I bought (used) was fantastic, and even better the woman who wrote up service orders was hot! :p

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
451 Posts
I remember my parents buying cars that were completely biodegradeable in the 1970's. They had holes through the sheet metal within three years and were totally rusted out junkers after about seven years.

As for service, I remember people saving up large lists of problems with new cars and trying to get them all fixed in a minimum of visits. And I bet those parts were always handy and in stock because the cars were so unreliable.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
As for service, I remember people saving up large lists of problems with new cars and trying to get them all fixed in a minimum of visits. And I bet those parts were always handy and in stock because the cars were so unreliable.
My parents were always unlucky with cars, particularly my step-father. But part of that was maybe their aiming for the bleeding edge of technology, which might be why I don't think much of keyfobs and auto climate. Just stuff to go wrong and annoy me.

I remember when they first required seat backs to have locking mechanisms for accident protection. Their car had a solenoid based system that would unlock it when the door was open. The only problem was the mechanism would lock up, making it not only not automatically unlock, but also difficult to manually unlock.

Then there was the A/C on the 1965 Caddy which would freeze up all the time. And the power windows on that car were also unreliable. I initially ordered my 89 Ranger without power windows, but changed the order before it was built.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Funny how different experiences were/are. I always walked out the door happy, not anymore mind you so I figured it was that way for everyone. Guess not, apparently my rose colored glasses were not on everyone's head !

·
Registered
792 Posts
We only have 21k on our ZR2 diesel. We ordered it new. I researched before ordering. Been using Hotshots Secret EDT since the day we took delivery. I also use their anti gel in the winter. No issues yet. It mostly tows, or if the weather is too much for our Subaru & I absolutely have to go out in it.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts