Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

Would you still get the 2.8l diesel

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
It started as a loud fan sound that was intermittent. That went away and I heard the usual "typewriter ticking", deemed normal by dealer last check up. two days before the catastrophe the ticking got louder and I was planning on bringing it in for another check at the dealership. No check engine light. I had only driven 40 miles before the truck completely broke down on me. No performance issues aside from the ticking. Then: tick, tick, Boom!
I am religious with my service intervals. I've never had something like this happen to me. Typically, normal maintenance will avoid any serious problems. My theory is, if there's not a developing issue already, oil changes, and proper precautions should be enough to keep the engine purring well beyond 100K trouble-free

Do you remember where you got your diesel fuel from when the ticking started? For now on if possible when anyone has the fuel pump ticking start i would take a fuel sample and have it tested for water. I am suspecting some of these fuel stations are putting water emulsifiers to cheap out on fixing a water problem instead of doing it the right way. Emulsifiers render our fuel separator useless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Do you remember where you got your diesel fuel from when the ticking started? For now on if possible when anyone has the fuel pump ticking start i would take a fuel sample and have it tested for water. I am suspecting some of these fuel stations are putting water emulsifiers to cheap out on fixing a water problem instead of doing it the right way. Emulsifiers render our fuel separator useless.
Filled at Sam's club.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hold that thought on the 3.0L, my neighbor just had his 2021 3.0L towed to the dealer today. He said a message popped up for DEF quality poor 2 days before this but cleared when he pulled in to driveway. Today it came back up and started running poorly, then CEL. He will find out tomorrow what the diagnosis is.
You might ask him if he used Blue Def Platinum, which there have been reports of problems with on the 2.8.

Sort of ironic because when that stuff was first announced I was calling it snake oil, thinking it probably didn't do anything. But turns out it may do something----bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone and thank you for all the great information provided on this forum. I am a new member.
(2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2.8L Diesel. 90,000)
I've been following every blog, video, and forum for input on everyone's experiences with the Colorado and canyon. I personally have had quite the experience with three different Canyons in the last 3 years. I eventually traded my last canyon 2015 V6 W/ 6" lift for my current vehicle. I've been very interested in the small 4 cylinder turbo diesel for many years prior to it's release. I traded my lifted gas canyon because I was very unhappy with it. Story for another day. The reason for my post is to renew the topic of Diesel longevity. Any one out there with over 100K? 150K? I've looked for the positive in this truck. I continue to be optimistic because this truck is not cheap, and I love it. I keep hoping for the best but currently, She's back in the shop for the 4th. time, in the year I've owned her, and it's looking like premature engine death from a faulty injector. I've read through related topics on this forum that ended up in engine replacement. My situation was actually like the guy who was towing his boat up a slight grade. Shaking like tire was flat, loss of power. Got off the freeway, crawled to a stop, no power. Shaking.. Shaking in park too.
No check engine light but stabiltrak and tbs illuminated. Left vehicle off for a couple minutes to see if it would reset by itself. Started vehicle briefly to look under hood for obvious issue. Engine shaking violently. Nothing else looked out of place, same indicators on dash. Plugged in scanner and showed misfire and balance issues cylinder#2. As I was getting her on the tow truck I saw the splatter of oil all over the undercarriage starting at the rear of engine. Stumped until I read some info on the forum because the oil and the misfire didn't seem related and came on so sudden. I did notice a bit of ticking and had planned to bring it in for service.
Currently, truck is at the dealership. They can't even diagnose it until 01/14/22. I'll keep anyone interested posted. All stock with no tone. Looking forward to hearing some testimonials from happy Diesel owners but I am also very curious about what other problems people are having and how many miles are on your vehicle. I'm thinking a lot of the issues were in the 2016-2018 models.
Hello everyone and thank you for all the great information provided on this forum. I am a new member.
(2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2.8L Diesel. 90,000)
I've been following every blog, video, and forum for input on everyone's experiences with the Colorado and canyon. I personally have had quite the experience with three different Canyons in the last 3 years. I eventually traded my last canyon 2015 V6 W/ 6" lift for my current vehicle. I've been very interested in the small 4 cylinder turbo diesel for many years prior to it's release. I traded my lifted gas canyon because I was very unhappy with it. Story for another day. The reason for my post is to renew the topic of Diesel longevity. Any one out there with over 100K? 150K? I've looked for the positive in this truck. I continue to be optimistic because this truck is not cheap, and I love it. I keep hoping for the best but currently, She's back in the shop for the 4th. time, in the year I've owned her, and it's looking like premature engine death from a faulty injector. I've read through related topics on this forum that ended up in engine replacement. My situation was actually like the guy who was towing his boat up a slight grade. Shaking like tire was flat, loss of power. Got off the freeway, crawled to a stop, no power. Shaking.. Shaking in park too.
No check engine light but stabiltrak and tbs illuminated. Left vehicle off for a couple minutes to see if it would reset by itself. Started vehicle briefly to look under hood for obvious issue. Engine shaking violently. Nothing else looked out of place, same indicators on dash. Plugged in scanner and showed misfire and balance issues cylinder#2. As I was getting her on the tow truck I saw the splatter of oil all over the undercarriage starting at the rear of engine. Stumped until I read some info on the forum because the oil and the misfire didn't seem related and came on so sudden. I did notice a bit of ticking and had planned to bring it in for service.
Currently, truck is at the dealership. They can't even diagnose it until 01/14/22. I'll keep anyone interested posted. All stock with no tone. Looking forward to hearing some testimonials from happy Diesel owners but I am also very curious about what other problems people are having and how many miles are on your vehicle. I'm thinking a lot of the issues were in the 2016-2018 models.
I own a 2016 2.8 Colorado and currently have 138,000 miles on it. I have had a recall on the exhaust system and had a Knox sensor go bad that's it so far . But since the recall service the exhaust doesn't seem to regenerate anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️ But runs great I did however put the Banks pedal monster on and that woke the truck up big time

·
Registered
180 Posts
Filled at Sam's club.
The thing with those places is the fuel comes from whoever supplier gives them the cheapest price, good or bad fuel. Last time I went to BJs (similar to Sams club)for fuel the pumps were super slow, meaning they have fuel quality problem or aren't changing their filters like they suppose to. That was last time I went there, same with a Sunoco station that did the same thing. BJs has high gas volume sales but low diesel, at least the one near me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I own a 2016 2.8 Colorado and currently have 138,000 miles on it. I have had a recall on the exhaust system and had a Knox sensor go bad that's it so far . But since the recall service the exhaust doesn't seem to regenerate anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️ But runs great I did however put the Banks pedal monster on and that woke the truck up big time
It is you just dont notice it. It would be in limp mode if it wasn't. Normal regens show no alerts on the DIC.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
The thing with those places is the fuel comes from whoever supplier gives them the cheapest price, good or bad fuel. Last time I went to BJs (similar to Sams club)for fuel the pumps were super slow, meaning they have fuel quality problem or aren't changing their filters like they suppose to. That was last time I went there, same with a Sunoco station that did the same thing. BJs has high gas volume sales but low diesel, at least the one near me.
Fuel pumps can be set to deliver fuel at different speeds. Many stations set them low to avoid overfill issues. You can't assume it's a fuel quality or filter issue.

Also, I don't know about BJ's or Sam's Club, but Costco offers Top Tier diesel which requires certain fuel handling, and also sell in high volume at the place near me. Unfortunately they get a lot of larger trucks (but not many semi tractors).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fuel pumps can be set to deliver fuel at different speeds. Many stations set them low to avoid overfill issues. You can't assume it's a fuel quality or filter issue.

Also, I don't know about BJ's or Sam's Club, but Costco offers Top Tier diesel which requires certain fuel handling, and also sell in high volume at the place near me. Unfortunately they get a lot of larger trucks (but not many semi tractors).
Maybe its just me but when the fuel pumps were slow my fuel filter life usally had sharp drops afterwards especially when I lived in PA.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Maybe its just me but when the fuel pumps were slow my fuel filter life usally had sharp drops afterwards especially when I lived in PA.
My truck has lead a sheltered life. He's probably only filled up at less than 10 stations that weren't my local Costco, and four of those were on trips. Those though are the most risky.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My .02,

Coming up on 1 year of ownership here on the 15th and am currently sitting at 36k miles. 0 issues so far knock on wood.

What ive done:
Catch can was installed at 900 miles
First oil change was at 500 miles, then 1000 miles and every 3-4k since, usually i change when the oil life percentage is at 45-55%.
It has had 5w-40 rotella every change, except for the last it got mobil 1 delvac 5w-40, it hasnt had 5w-30 dexos 2 oil in it since the first oil change. I will die on this hill and am fully prepared to put my foot in my mouth if it is proved that running 5w-40 caused a potential issue, but until then she gets rotella.
Fuel filters every 15k,
Diffs and dropped the tranny pan and replaced the filter at 30k
air filters every 3 oil changes.
Gets the Silver Diesel Kleen bottle, 7-8oz every couple of fill ups. Not everytime, but always if im towing or before long trips.

Properly warm it up, avoid short trips and get your def from a place with high stock turnover.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You might ask him if he used Blue Def Platinum, which there have been reports of problems with on the 2.8.

Sort of ironic because when that stuff was first announced I was calling it snake oil, thinking it probably didn't do anything. But turns out it may do something----bad.
Turned out to be bad connection at Nox sensor for the poor quality message and gelled fuel causing the misfire/ engine shutdown. He is retired and still had summer fuel, lately he has been driving his SUV.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Turned out to be bad connection at Nox sensor for the poor quality message and gelled fuel causing the misfire/ engine shutdown. He is retired and still had summer fuel, lately he has been driving his SUV.
He should remember to add some winter fuel supplement in the fall next time. I'm in a warmer climate and garaged, so not an issue for me.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Just adding my $0.02 in. I bought mine new in 2017 with 23 miles on it, got an intake, exhaust, tune, and got rid of all that extra emissions nonsense. Truck runs like a champ and has about 110k miles on it. I have seen nightmare stories all relating to the emission system. My advice would be to look into getting all the emissions garbage off of it. I understand the tyrannical epa prohibits it, but if there's a will there's a way.
125K miles, no real issues to date and would get another in a heart beat, 2016 Canyon stock.
Glad to see some over 100k posts without issues. (Un)fortunately the forums attract usually either extreme of owners: Very happy or very displeased. Rarely do we hear from the "yup, doing as expected" owners. haha.

My .02,

Coming up on 1 year of ownership here on the 15th and am currently sitting at 36k miles. 0 issues so far knock on wood.

What ive done:
Catch can was installed at 900 miles
First oil change was at 500 miles, then 1000 miles and every 3-4k since, usually i change when the oil life percentage is at 45-55%.
It has had 5w-40 rotella every change, except for the last it got mobil 1 delvac 5w-40, it hasnt had 5w-30 dexos 2 oil in it since the first oil change. I will die on this hill and am fully prepared to put my foot in my mouth if it is proved that running 5w-40 caused a potential issue, but until then she gets rotella.
Fuel filters every 15k,
Diffs and dropped the tranny pan and replaced the filter at 30k
air filters every 3 oil changes.
Gets the Silver Diesel Kleen bottle, 7-8oz every couple of fill ups. Not everytime, but always if im towing or before long trips.

Properly warm it up, avoid short trips and get your def from a place with high stock turnover.
Sounds very similar to my maintenance plan. I'll also die on the 5w40 Rotella hill, especially after seeing the difference in UOA between ACDelco, INEO, and Rotella T6. Though my truck is out of warranty recently, and will immediately fall apart if my luck has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No issues with mine, in fact I'm looking for a 2022 AT4 diesel to replace my 2018! I want to grab the last diesel before they quit making them!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
After the fiasco with the eco diesel and Chrysler changing to 5-40 Rotella spec oil instead of the 5-30 that led to engine oiling problems and failures , I too run 5-40 from first oil change . My 2016 I ran Motul 5-40, no issues. My 2020, I have been running 5-40 Rotella and will continue to do so. None of the 2.8L engine failures happened on 5-40, the ones failed seemed to all be running a 5-30 Dexos 2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
After the fiasco with the eco diesel and Chrysler changing to 5-40 Rotella spec oil instead of the 5-30 that led to engine oiling problems and failures , I too run 5-40 from first oil change . My 2016 I ran Motul 5-40, no issues. My 2020, I have been running 5-40 Rotella and will continue to do so. None of the 2.8L engine failures happened on 5-40, the ones failed seemed to all be running a 5-30 Dexos 2.
I would guess that statistically 5w40 rotella owners are the extreme minority. I believe overwhelming vast majority of owners of all makes/models will run the oil weight/designation called for the in the owners manual, usually to good effect. Rare occasions (EcoDiesel being one) where that ends badly.

All I can hope is that the things I've done to and for my truck (Catch can, decision to run 5w40 T6, balance rate monitoring, UOA, etc...) enhance the longevity. But that's any vehicle/engine, I suppose. Everyone has manufacturing tolerances and sometimes they stack right into the garbage can...

·
Registered
777 Posts
It started as a loud fan sound that was intermittent. That went away and I heard the usual "typewriter ticking", deemed normal by dealer last check up. two days before the catastrophe the ticking got louder and I was planning on bringing it in for another check at the dealership. No check engine light. I had only driven 40 miles before the truck completely broke down on me. No performance issues aside from the ticking. Then: tick, tick, Boom!
I am religious with my service intervals. I've never had something like this happen to me. Typically, normal maintenance will avoid any serious problems. My theory is, if there's not a developing issue already, oil changes, and proper precautions should be enough to keep the engine purring well beyond 100K trouble-free
I'm wondering if the ticking is the sound of the bad injector before damage to the piston happens, or the sound of a small hole already in the piston that just burns bigger until you get a big hole all at once. Could you hear the bad ticking inside the truck while you were driving with the windows up, or only when outside or with the windows down?

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I'm wondering if the ticking is the sound of the bad injector before damage to the piston happens, or the sound of a small hole already in the piston that just burns bigger until you get a big hole all at once. Could you hear the bad ticking inside the truck while you were driving with the windows up, or only when outside or with the windows down?
Could it also be a failing HPFP about to send metal fragments to an unlucky injector ?

21 - 40 of 79 Posts