Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

Would you still get the 2.8l diesel

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and thank you for all the great information provided on this forum. I am a new member.
(2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2.8L Diesel. 90,000)
I've been following every blog, video, and forum for input on everyone's experiences with the Colorado and canyon. I personally have had quite the experience with three different Canyons in the last 3 years. I eventually traded my last canyon 2015 V6 W/ 6" lift for my current vehicle. I've been very interested in the small 4 cylinder turbo diesel for many years prior to it's release. I traded my lifted gas canyon because I was very unhappy with it. Story for another day. The reason for my post is to renew the topic of Diesel longevity. Any one out there with over 100K? 150K? I've looked for the positive in this truck. I continue to be optimistic because this truck is not cheap, and I love it. I keep hoping for the best but currently, She's back in the shop for the 4th. time, in the year I've owned her, and it's looking like premature engine death from a faulty injector. I've read through related topics on this forum that ended up in engine replacement. My situation was actually like the guy who was towing his boat up a slight grade. Shaking like tire was flat, loss of power. Got off the freeway, crawled to a stop, no power. Shaking.. Shaking in park too.
No check engine light but stabiltrak and tbs illuminated. Left vehicle off for a couple minutes to see if it would reset by itself. Started vehicle briefly to look under hood for obvious issue. Engine shaking violently. Nothing else looked out of place, same indicators on dash. Plugged in scanner and showed misfire and balance issues cylinder#2. As I was getting her on the tow truck I saw the splatter of oil all over the undercarriage starting at the rear of engine. Stumped until I read some info on the forum because the oil and the misfire didn't seem related and came on so sudden. I did notice a bit of ticking and had planned to bring it in for service.
Currently, truck is at the dealership. They can't even diagnose it until 01/14/22. I'll keep anyone interested posted. All stock with no tone. Looking forward to hearing some testimonials from happy Diesel owners but I am also very curious about what other problems people are having and how many miles are on your vehicle. I'm thinking a lot of the issues were in the 2016-2018 models.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Only at 56k, but still very happy with the truck. Concerned by how many 2016 engine failure posts I've seen in the last few days.

Couple questions for metrics:

Did you run additive ?
Do you know how many hrs are on the engine ?
Would you be willing to make a comment with NHTSA ? Loss of power like that on the freeway could have ended badly. I'm glad you're safe !

I believe in 2019 they switched to Bosch fuel systems over Denso from previous years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Couple questions for metrics:

Did you run additive ?
Do you know how many hrs are on the engine ?
Would you be willing to make a comment with NHTSA ? Loss of power like that on the freeway could have ended badly.

Answer:
I ran diesel kleen every 1000 miles or so. I'll have to check on hours. Believe I was at around 2900. I had recently changed fuel filter. I ran ac Delco 5/30 w/dextros2. Routine engine oil replacement at 6000.
Will gladly comment with NHTSA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious on this too. I'm in the market for a preowned 2016-2017 diesel. It appears from my 2+ weeks of scrolling through these forms it appears the platform is pretty solid? I just saw a 16' Colorado at a dealership yesterday. It has 253,000 miles. Truck is very clean and runs great...So I guess its a hit and miss?

·
Registered
‘16, Cyber Grey CC short bed, Duramax
44 Posts
I'm curious on this too. I'm in the market for a preowned 2016-2017 diesel. It appears from my 2+ weeks of scrolling through these forms it appears the platform is pretty solid? I just saw a 16' Colorado at a dealership yesterday. It has 253,000 miles. Truck is very clean and runs great...So I guess its a hit and miss?
Was it diesel or gas?

·
Registered
‘18, Canyon All Terrain, Duramax, BF KO2s
17 Posts
Hello, I have a 2018 AT 2.8L, so far I have 91000km and no major issues, couple of recalls for sensors and ECU upgrades but otherwise its been pretty good. Recently, added KO2 tires and removed the air dam and I'm averaging still 9L/100km which is very good for a truck. My only gripe is - it's slow, but I bought it for towing and fuel economy, not for drag racing.

To your issue - from what I understand reading other posts here - the 2018 and later trucks got updated injectors from Denso instead of Bosch. 2018 is also the last year of the 5 year/160000 km powertrain warranty which is pretty good as well. So, anything newer shouldn't be an issue at all.

That being said, I don't think I'll buy another gas truck ever, pending mechanicals and corrosion - this truck should easily last me 15 years or more. I had a 2005 Ford Ranger 4.0 FX4 manual before buying this truck in 2020, and that one had 330000km and was revved to redline frequently.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just turned 40k miles on my 2017, so far so good. I've been reading on here for a while, and as best I can tell the two major recurring issues I read about are the shudder related to the torque converter (which I haven't seen any new posts about in a while) and dead engines from an injector failure. If you're out of warranty (paying out of pocket), I wonder if it's cheaper to fix the engine than to replace it. Maybe remove the injector and put a scope down into the cylinder to see if there's any cylinder damage. If not then maybe you can get away with just replacing the piston. Since it ran so short after the failure, odds are any metal bits are either in the pan, the oil pump pickup screen or the oil filter, I would gamble the rest of the engine is likely fine.

·
Registered
2017 gmc canyon duramax
98 Posts
Just adding my $0.02 in. I bought mine new in 2017 with 23 miles on it, got an intake, exhaust, tune, and got rid of all that extra emissions nonsense. Truck runs like a champ and has about 110k miles on it. I have seen nightmare stories all relating to the emission system. My advice would be to look into getting all the emissions garbage off of it. I understand the tyrannical epa prohibits it, but if there's a will there's a way.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just adding my $0.02 in. I bought mine new in 2017 with 23 miles on it, got an intake, exhaust, tune, and got rid of all that extra emissions nonsense. Truck runs like a champ and has about 110k miles on it. I have seen nightmare stories all relating to the emission system. My advice would be to look into getting all the emissions garbage off of it. I understand the tyrannical epa prohibits it, but if there's a will there's a way.
I personally appreciate the smokeless exhaust, no diesel smell and less pollution. But that said, yea if I end up with a $5k emissions problem, or it looks like it might strand me, it might fall off the truck at that point. From my own perspective, that's where the EPA messed up - mandating the manufacturers disable the truck for an emissions code. Getting stranded miles from home with my family for an emissions code would not be OK, that alone has had me consider removing it all as soon as my warranty is up, and I'm someone who really likes the idea of cleaner exhaust.

·
Registered
2017 gmc canyon duramax
98 Posts
I personally appreciate the smokeless exhaust, no diesel smell and less pollution. But that said, yea if I end up with a $5k emissions problem, or it looks like it might strand me, it might fall off the truck at that point. From my own perspective, that's where the EPA messed up - mandating the manufacturers disable the truck for an emissions code. Getting stranded miles from home with my family for an emissions code would not be OK, that alone has had me consider removing it all as soon as my warranty is up, and I'm someone who really likes the idea of cleaner exhaust.
I agree. I am all for cleaner exhaust... but not at my expense. If the government is so uptight about emissions then let them trade my truck for one of them new eletric hummers.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
465 Posts
Font Vehicle Logo Brand Graphics

Wanna guess why persistent fault codes lead to inducement behavior? It's because owners that are out of warranty will drive a vehicle indefinitely with the CEL lamp on. If it runs, it's fine.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado CCLB 2wd 2.8L Duramax Summit White
214 Posts
77k miles on my 2017 diesel that I bought new. Zero issues thus far (knock on wood). Completely stock. Use optilube xpd every tank. Most reliable truck I’ve owned so far.

·
Registered
789 Posts
@2016CanyonSLT2.8L, how loud was the ticking noise and approximately how long before the failure did you notice it? This seems to be a common symptom among the failed engine crowd, it would be helpful to know about how long someone might have after hearing the noise to get a diagnosis before things come apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
85k since buying new on my 2017 2wd with no issues. Majority commuting with my shortest commute being either walking distance or 30 highway miles one way. No additive until last year, then optilube xpd or xl when not filling toptier.

Well, there was one issue. Last September, I started hearing a clunk from somewhere and felt it coming from the floor. Started when I was on the freeway and had to brake pretty hard when drunk driver cut me off crossing several lanes from the onramp. Narrowed it down to acceleration through right turns and sometimes while braking. Started getting worried and couldn't see anything obviously wrong/loose underneath. Then noticed the clunk disappeared when my wife got in the car. Turned out it was a loose hitch ball that ended up under the passenger seat and her purse stopped it from rolling around. That was a big relief

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I've only 25k miles, and voted "probably." The reason I voted probably is those 3.0s are very nice relative to the 2.8, but they require a full size. If I were going to go full size the 3.5 Echoboost or 5.0 F150 with the larger fuel tank would probably be my choice. One issue I have with diesel which isn't as severe with gasoline is buying in remote locations--fuel quality concerns. But if I were to go full sized I'd need to do the garage modifications that pushed me to the Colorado, and also get rid of my beloved 89 Ranger since it would no longer fit in the garage.

·
Registered
316 Posts
like anything else theres going to be some duds. you only come to the forum to post bad news or ask for help, and its a self selecting sample of folks posting to begin with.

i have an '18 i bought new that has almost 70k on it now. no complaints.

curious, what did they want for that high mile truck? :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@2016CanyonSLT2.8L, how loud was the ticking noise and approximately how long before the failure did you notice it? This seems to be a common symptom among the failed engine crowd, it would be helpful to know about how long someone might have after hearing the noise to get a diagnosis before things come apart.
It started as a loud fan sound that was intermittent. That went away and I heard the usual "typewriter ticking", deemed normal by dealer last check up. two days before the catastrophe the ticking got louder and I was planning on bringing it in for another check at the dealership. No check engine light. I had only driven 40 miles before the truck completely broke down on me. No performance issues aside from the ticking. Then: tick, tick, Boom!
I am religious with my service intervals. I've never had something like this happen to me. Typically, normal maintenance will avoid any serious problems. My theory is, if there's not a developing issue already, oil changes, and proper precautions should be enough to keep the engine purring well beyond 100K trouble-free

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've only 25k miles, and voted "probably." The reason I voted probably is those 3.0s are very nice relative to the 2.8, but they require a full size. If I were going to go full size the 3.5 Echoboost or 5.0 F150 with the larger fuel tank would probably be my choice. One issue I have with diesel which isn't as severe with gasoline is buying in remote locations--fuel quality concerns. But if I were to go full sized I'd need to do the garage modifications that pushed me to the Colorado, and also get rid of my beloved 89 Ranger since it would no longer fit in the garage.
Hold that thought on the 3.0L, my neighbor just had his 2021 3.0L towed to the dealer today. He said a message popped up for DEF quality poor 2 days before this but cleared when he pulled in to driveway. Today it came back up and started running poorly, then CEL. He will find out tomorrow what the diagnosis is.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts