Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago I purchased a set of the CHEAP HID kits off eBay (72.88 SHIPPED!!) Well, they worked..... sort of. They would turn on, but they wouldn't always stay on. The left one would blink off every so often, never could identify why or what was causing it. Only way to get it to come back on was to turn the switch off and back on, PAIN in the ASS!!

I finally got sick of it and spent the money for the good kit (MTEC) 2 of them, actually. I wanted to do my fogs, too. I installed them yesterday morning when I got home from work. When I turned them on, they were beautiful. SO, tired and wet (from laying on my back in the rain, I love Seattle) I went to bed, happy they worked.

Yesterday afternoon, after only getting 4 hours sleep because I was playing with my truck all morning, I got ready to leave for work, Late of course. I started my truck and bgan backing out of the driveway when I hear "BONG BONG BONG" and see ABS FAULT. Then I notice the fogs aren't working, dome light wont turn on, radio lights are flickering, heater fan is out, half the dash won't light up, turn signals wont work (except later when they started dancing while I was on the freeway) and many other things were awry.

I recalled reading about others with problems with the HID's not working at all, but never did I read about anyones truck going haywire!!! Nevertheless I recalled the DRL problem, so it was the first thing I tried (pulling the relay). After the BCM had time to reset, everything seemed to be fine, took my nerves a little longer to settle down, though.

Just curious why I didn't have that problem with the cheap kit I had before. They appear to be almost identical minus the "authentic" markings. Any clues?

·
Registered
558 Posts
could be the hid kit was drawing too much power when starting up and it blew a fuse maybe.

one of my friends old gti w/ hids caught on fire due to way too much draw through the stock wiring and fuse.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HowNowBrownCow said:
could be the hid kit was drawing too much power when starting up and it blew a fuse maybe.

one of my friends old gti w/ hids caught on fire due to way too much draw through the stock wiring and fuse.
No fuses blew. Once the BCM reset, everything was fine. The only thing that seems to be coming back, after pulling the DRL relay, is the ABS Fault, but only once now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
HID bulbs actually draw less steady state current then the bulbs your truck comes with. What screws up BCM's is a momentary spike of current (in-rush) when you turn them on. A lot of kits now come with some electronics in the wire between the ballast and bulb to help soften this.

They started putting HID's on Harley's a few years ago, and found out that when the in-rush current was flowing, the bikes would't even crank. (On a bike, when the key goes on, so do the headlights.) They had to wire in a delay. So maybe the same thing is happening to you. Just a guess.

-Geoff

·
Registered
370 Posts
same thing happened when I had my kit in. My solution was to move the ballasts away form the wiring harness on the driver side. From what I've read, the ballast puts off a field, that induces current into the wires in the harness, creating all of your problems. When I mounted the ballast away from the wiring harness the lights and all that crazy stuff stopped happening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts