Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
301 - 320 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 · (Edited)
Again, not fighting against the diesel. I'd love to still see an updated diesel as an option, even though I feel the 2.7 will do a great job as a replacement for the majority of people. But lets not forget the roughly 4 thousand dollar upcharge. If it was a $900 upcharge like in the Silverado from the 5.3, then we'd be talking. 4 grand is a lot to chew on for anyone but those guys that absolutely "need" a diesel truck.

Hopefully you'd get a lot more back down the road in reselling or trade.
Imagine if they stuffed the LM2 diesel in the 3rd gen to replace the LWN?? 277hp, 460lb-ft, and even better fuel economy...

Considering the limited availability of the LWN now and the latest pricing of other options, $4K is really negligible. It used to be much lower, like around $2K...but like everything else hit by inflation, the base MSRP has gone up over the past few years too. So not really more than you'd need to pay for sales tax and some dealer installed accessories.

A 2022 CCLB diesel Canyon equipped as closely as possible to my 2017 is like $49K, and the sticker on my 2017 CCLB diesel was around $35K...

And considering that most sub 50K diesel Colorados and Canyons (including mine) are worth the same as or more than they were new, I'd say depreciation is also negligible.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Imagine if they stuffed the LM2 diesel in the 3rd gen to replace the LWN?? 277hp, 460lb-ft, and even better fuel economy...

Considering the limited availability of the LWN now and the latest pricing of other options, $4K is really negligible. It used to be much lower, like around $2K...but like everything else hit by inflation, the base MSRP has gone up over the past few years too. So not really more than you'd need to pay for sales tax and some dealer installed accessories.

A 2022 CCLB diesel Canyon equipped as closely as possible to my 2017 is like $49K, and the sticker on my 2017 CCLB diesel was around $35K...

And considering that most sub 50K diesel Colorados and Canyons (including mine) are worth the same as or more than they were new, I'd say depreciation is also negligible.
Would love to see the 3.0L Duramax in the Colorado, but being an inline 6 I'm not sure it would fit. The 2.7L Turbo will be great for suburbanites, soccer moms, and mall crawlers who just want a truck but have no idea why. And by dropping the extended cab, long bed, and diesel options that appears to be the audience that GM is targeting here.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Lol at all the people complaint of no diesel. Like did you read the specs in the 2.7? Better power, more torque, more tow capacity, probably around same gas mileage, and not paying diesel prices. And I bet the torque curve starts real low like the diesel. Like seriously diesel fan boys, get off the high horse. This motor is better in every way.
OK, dingbat. You are clueless when it comes to diesel efficiency. The diesel will get much better fuel economy doing any kind of work, the max torque is lower rpm on diesel. You need some education boy.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,878 Posts
Ok....
Everyone has their Right to Their Opinions and Beliefs.
I ask that you be respectful about it

Reactions: froyofanatic

·
Registered
356 Posts
See the ZR2 s getting fog or driving lights , look like 2 inch dia.led's in the lower facia
I see something there, but I think they may be cameras. The fogs on the Z71 look much different.

Aproposaren’t they located way too high (30” +/-) to be useful as fog lights? Could be wrong, but I was under the impression that fog lights effectiveness is due to their close proximity to the road; cutting under the fog.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
maybe just on the bull bar

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
288 Posts
Would love to see the 3.0L Duramax in the Colorado, but being an inline 6 I'm not sure it would fit. The 2.7L Turbo will be great for suburbanites, soccer moms, and mall crawlers who just want a truck but have no idea why. And by dropping the extended cab, long bed, and diesel options that appears to be the audience that GM is targeting here.
Unfortunately that's the realities of the business case GM is operating on to target max profits by going after the largest market. I'm not saying I like the lack of options, hell it's the same problem I can't find a decent sedan anymore and a manual transmission is going the way of the doodoo. 95% of people want an AWD jellybean shaped CUV with a 2.0T and slushbox.

When GM sold the Asian plant making the 2.8 diesel the writing was pretty much on the wall with the next gen midsizes. The 3.0 would be great but then GM would lose out on profit margin, instead of making a diesel fan step up to a fullsize.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Based on the press release, we actually lost leg/shoulder/head room. I am willing to bet that the cab structure is largely unchanged, just newer dash, door panels and seats. The addition of the sunroof option explains the loss in headroom.
This is the reason in 1992, I refused to let my wife purchase a Honda Accord with the top level trim - it came with a sunroof and I could not sit comfortably in it. The trims without a sunroof were not an issue for me. I have not been a great fan of sunroofs since, although we purchased a Honda Accord, believe it was 1998 model, and the headroom was okay with the sunroof.

I will say, I am a fan of the POWERED rear sliding window on my Silverado. A manual unit would be useless to me, but I open the powered window on my Silverado every time I drive it to let the hot air out while we are fighting these 100+ degree days.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Anyone complaining about having to rev the 2.7 can just stop. Sure...peak torque at 3,000 RPM. But 90+% of that peak torque is available after 1,500 rpm and lasts well through 3,000 rpm. I'm not arguing against the diesel. Just saying, the 2.7 turbo has it covered in the torque department. The diesel will still get much better fuel economy. Reliability is anyone's guess.
I'm not a huge fan of turbo motors for the long (150,000-200,000 mile) haul. When I bought my 2021 ZR2 in July of last year, it was rumored that the 2022 ZR2 was going to be a turbo 4; hence me buying a little earlier than I planned. I'm extremely happy with my truck. I hope the new ones are a great success and huge sellers. Time will tell as far as the reliability goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd hate to admit it, but I think I might be trading up. I WANT the ZR2 because that grey and yellow interior is the bees' knees, but I won't be seriously off-roading my truck so why would I need everything else on the ZR2? I'm prolly gonna go for the Z71 or a well-optioned LT in Shock Yellow. There's very little downsides to this one, at least for my needs. I get why some people might want the long bed and all that, but for what I want, this is almost nothing but improvements. I bought my 2019 Colorado more out of necessity over a wanting for a new car back then, but I'm in a way better place to trade in and jump up now.

My only reluctance to dashing immediately to the dealer and putting my name down is that the 8-speed transmission is remaining and not a new 10-speed unit. I can only hope this thing doesn't shudder, clunk, or shake. But I'm very optimistic about this truck. It looks good, so many good options at every level, etc.
The 8 speed tranny would be the single reason I wouldn't upgrade unless they've fixed the issues. I love my 19 ZR2 but absolutely HATE the tranny in it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The 8 speed tranny would be the single reason I wouldn't upgrade unless they've fixed the issues. I love my 19 ZR2 but absolutely HATE the tranny in it.
I have a friend with a 19 (one of the last 19s) and his is fine at 106,000 miles. I have other friends with 20s and I have a 21; no issues with these. I think the late 19s on up are fine.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Our 2017 3.6L V6 w/8L45 8-speed has been fine as well.
Currently with only about 30K miles on it due to not much driving for almost 2.5 years.

It did have the fluid change at my request at about 17K miles in 2019 when the TSB came out indicating GM would change it even if there was no " shudder " .
I never had any "shudder " before or after the transmission fluid change.

The only thing I experience how and then is the first rough 1 - 2 shift most often in winter after a cold start or if the truck has sat for a few days or weeks without driving.
Otherwise the 8 speed is smooth and shift predictably as well as attain great MPG in our CCSB.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just found out about this yesterday. Thought it would be a 2024 model. I am hopeful and excited, but...
I bought a 2017 ZR2 new, still my driver, love it except a few Bit Ches
1) I hate the seats. It's like sitting on a board. Worst seats I ever had in 50 years of several cars and trucks.
2) For an off-road specialty truck, why the lame shifter? No manual mode +- or wheel paddles? (yes it has the hold a gear for towing thing - but that is not a sport mode shifter)
3) a few other gripes, but hey for most part I love driving this truck.

The new models:
1) I have been waiting for the new gen Ranger. Can't wait to sit in one and check the seats.
2) maybe a new Taco coming. Will see if it has any balls and a seat for grown ups.
3) Now this new gen Colorado is coming soon!!!

A) I can't wait to get my butt in one. Perhaps St Louis Auto Show?
B) The seats LOOK better, but only my butt can know for sure.
C) I am a bit worried about the 2.7 turbo. My 3.6 NA has very good throttle response off idle. A must for me. Many small C.I. turbos don't jump off the line (at idle - no power braking) as quick. (the ford may have the same issue) I plan to go drive a 1500 with the 2.7 next week to check it out. Maybe I can talk the salesman in to a short drag race like zero to 30 against my ZR2.

Every time I get excited about a new gen vehicle I am let down when it arrives at a dealer and I see / drive in person. Maybe this one will be different. I like the looks. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, dingbat. You are clueless when it comes to diesel efficiency. The diesel will get much better fuel economy doing any kind of work, the max torque is lower rpm on diesel. You need some education boy.
Lol if you say so there. You should look up. The specs of the 2.7l in the silverados. Might surprise you and you might learn something diesel fanboy.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
1) I hate the seats. It's like sitting on a board. Worst seats I ever had in 50 years of several cars and trucks.
2) For an off-road specialty truck, why the lame shifter? No manual mode +- or wheel paddles? (yes it has the hold a gear for towing thing - but that is not a sport mode shifter)
3) a few other gripes, but hey for most part I love driving this truck.

Seats are probably one of the most subjective items. I sat in a Z71 and a Leather LT and Canyon SLT. I hated the Z71 but found the leather very comfortable.

My 2015 had a shift button on the shift lever to allow manual mode. On the newer models, I think they changed the M for Manual to a L, but I thought gave the same ability to shift gears. The only issue is, it was a limiter, if you chose 5th Gear as an example, the truck could pick a lower gear, but no higher than 5th gear.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Man, I love the seats in my '22 at4. Also did not want or expect paddle shifters in a truck, even a sporty one. Zero issues with my 8 speed a whole 3000km in 🤣 but I do believe the issue is largely fixed in '20 onwards.

As for turbo gasser Vs diesel...

You should look up. The specs of the 2.7l in the silverados. Might surprise you and you might learn something diesel fanboy.
I have to really bite my tongue here. But please, go ahead and show me where the 2.7 is spec'd at having more reliability, more torque off the line, better fuel economy towing, or any of the other things that are actually important.

Oh sure the 2.7 puts out gobs of torque low down, once the turbo is spooled, but it will never compare to a diesel in any of the above even with the better power and torque figures claimed on a spec sheet.

It really irks me when people throw down numbers they think they understand, but don't...

My 3.6 NA has very good throttle response off idle. A must for me. Many small C.I. turbos don't jump off the line (at idle - no power braking) as quick
GM has done a lot of engineering to get this turbo to spool quickly but at the end of the day it just isn't going to pull off the line like an NA or SC engine will. Only you can tell if it's good enough, and I recommend that test drive. Me personally...just waiting for my mallet to show up, which I KNOW will trounce the 2.7 off the line, and likely get both better economy towing and improved reliability overall. In my opinion, turbos are great at a lot of things, because the tradeoffs they offer (and EVERYTHINF has tradeoffs!) Work well for a lot of things. A truck used as a truck, is not one of them.

301 - 320 of 425 Posts