Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
281 - 300 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
According to GM press release I just read, it mentioned that the WT and LT trims can be optioned with the Z71 and Trail Boss turbo plus engine and also 4WD.

It looks like the Z71 and Trail Boss get the G80 locker. The LT seems to be more refined than the WT but less off-road capable than the Trail Boss. The Trail Boss seems to be more like the WT but with the off-road capability of the Z71. The Z71 seems to be a premium blend of the LT and Trail Boss.

Chevy says any trim can upgrade to the high-output engine through their Limited Production Option (LPO) preorder offer. So if you want you a 4wd WT with the ZR2 engine, it seems to be an option....at least for a limited time.

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
According to GM press release I just read, it mentioned that the WT and LT trims can be optioned with the Z71 and Trail Boss turbo plus engine and also 4WD.

It looks like the Z71 and Trail Boss get the G80 locker. The LT seems to be more refined than the WT but less off-road capable than the Trail Boss. The Trail Boss seems to be more like the WT but with the off-road capability of the Z71. The Z71 seems to be a premium blend of the LT and Trail Boss.

Chevy says any trim can upgrade to the high-output engine through their Limited Production Option (LPO) preorder offer. So if you want you a 4wd WT with the ZR2 engine, it seems to be an option....at least for a limited time.
My big question: Is it purely a tune? And if yes, then there should be no reason someone couldn't buy their truck with the standard output motor, then pay GM online to upgrade to the plus or high output option at a later date via OTA update.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lol at all the people complaint of no diesel. Like did you read the specs in the 2.7? Better power, more torque, more tow capacity, probably around same gas mileage, and not paying diesel prices. And I bet the torque curve starts real low like the diesel. Like seriously diesel fan boys, get off the high horse. This motor is better in every way.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Lol at all the people complaint of no diesel. Like did you read the specs in the 2.7? Better power, more torque, more tow capacity, probably around same gas mileage, and not paying diesel prices. And I bet the torque curve starts real low like the diesel. Like seriously diesel fan boys, get off the high horse. This motor is better in every way.
No, you have to rev it much higher to get to it's torque peak. The mileage is worse too. How long will it last? Who knows? But I bet the diesel will last much longer. Hey it sounds like a great engine choice for a company that wants to provide a single engine to do all things but, it will never be like the diesel which will always be better at what diesels do.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
more tow capacity, probably around same gas mileage
Not saying the L3B is a bad motor, but you obviously don't understand how diesel engines work or why most real trucks in the world (that are used as actual trucks) don't run on gasoline.

Tow capacity is not more than what the 2nd gen diesel was.

Fuel economy still won't even be close, especially while towing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not saying the L3B is a bad motor, but you obviously don't understand how diesel engines work or why most real trucks in the world (that are used as actual trucks) don't run on gasoline.

Tow capacity is not more than what the 2nd gen diesel was.

Fuel economy still won't even be close, especially while towing.
What is tow capacity, 7000? What is it for the 2.7? 7700? Yeah that’s more….

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
What is tow capacity, 7000? What is it for the 2.7? 7700? Yeah that’s more….
The diesel is 7700 lbs and at a much lower rpm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, you have to rev it much higher to get to it's torque peak. The mileage is worse too. How long will it last? Who knows? But I bet the diesel will last much longer. Hey it sounds like a great engine choice for a company that wants to provide a single engine to do all things but, it will never be like the diesel which will always be better at what diesels do.
So diesel is what, 369 peak at 2000? In the Silverado isn’t it 420 at 1500? Or the older version of 348 at 1500?

I bet in the Colorado the torque will peak somewhere between 1520 and 2500 and thus same as the diesel Based on the curves in the Silverado.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
So diesel is what, 369 peak at 2000? In the Silverado isn’t it 420 at 1500? Or the older version of 348 at 1500?

I bet in the Colorado the torque will peak somewhere between 1520 and 2500 and thus same as the diesel Based on the curves in the Silverado.
It's 3000. It might be better for you to look it up instead of just "betting ".

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's 3000. It might be better for you to look it up instead of just "betting ".
Sorry. 348 at 1500 and 430 at 3000 m. Soooo Essentially the same range and it’s pretty flat based on the chart. So you don’t get much out of benefit of the diesel. I agree to disagree but the diesel is not all that it is cracked up to be for a midsize truck as a daily driver for 99% of people.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
the diesel is not all that it is cracked up to be for a midsize truck as a daily driver for 99% of people.
Well that's true because that's about the percentage of people who don't understand what a diesel is. I guess the people in Europe are smarter because diesel leads in popularity there and nearly everything you can buy here is available there in diesel.

On the iron block 2.8 Duramax, the power peak is at 3400 rpm. That new little 2.7 aluminum block gas pot engine needs to rev to 5600 rpm.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Sorry. 348 at 1500 and 430 at 3000 m. Soooo Essentially the same range and it’s pretty flat based on the chart. So you don’t get much out of benefit of the diesel. I agree to disagree but the diesel is not all that it is cracked up to be for a midsize truck as a daily driver for 99% of people.
Since the LWN typically gets about 20%+ better fuel economy than the L3B in the real world, even if diesel prices are 20% higher than gas prices the daily driver diesel owners are still paying less per mile.

Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Screenshot
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

And the LWN can get upwards of 50% better fuel economy towing that same 7700 lb load. So again, if you need to use a Colorado as an actual truck, the diesel is a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I get this is marketing, but this is what GM says about the engine:

The engine receives several enhancements in the 2023 model year to help optimize performance and refinement. They include a more rigid cylinder block casting and a 30% stiffer crankshaft, which complement a fully forged bottom end as well as materials used in diesel engines to deliver the durability customers expect.

• Helpful
Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
251 Posts
I get this is marketing, but this is what GM says about the engine:

The engine receives several enhancements in the 2023 model year to help optimize performance and refinement. They include a more rigid cylinder block casting and a 30% stiffer crankshaft, which complement a fully forged bottom end as well as materials used in diesel engines to deliver the durability customers expect.
Materials like steel and aluminum 😉 ?

God I love marketers. Say literally nothing and make it sound great anyways!

·
Registered
11,643 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
497 Posts
Anyone complaining about having to rev the 2.7 can just stop. Sure...peak torque at 3,000 RPM. But 90+% of that peak torque is available after 1,500 rpm and lasts well through 3,000 rpm. I'm not arguing against the diesel. Just saying, the 2.7 turbo has it covered in the torque department. The diesel will still get much better fuel economy. Reliability is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
497 Posts
.... So again, if you need to use a Colorado as an actual truck, the diesel is a no brainer.
Again, not fighting against the diesel. I'd love to still see an updated diesel as an option, even though I feel the 2.7 will do a great job as a replacement for the majority of people. But lets not forget the roughly 4 thousand dollar upcharge. If it was a $900 upcharge like in the Silverado from the 5.3, then we'd be talking. 4 grand is a lot to chew on for anyone but those guys that absolutely "need" a diesel truck.

Hopefully you'd get a lot more back down the road in reselling or trade.

281 - 300 of 372 Posts