Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The CEL is on in my 2015 Colorado. I used a BlueDriver scan app and it is throwing code P0442 - small Evap leak. Uhhh...sooo...I checked the gas cap and that seems ok. What can I check next?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So in doing some more research it looks like what I can try from home is replacing the gas cap or evap Canister Purge Valve. The purge valve seems to be a common issue but so does the gas cap. Any idea which I should replace first or is there a way to test them without just throwing parts at it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Always the gas cap first, it's easy and cheap.
Before you replace it just take it off and put it back on making sure it's tight.
Then reset the CEL and see if it comes back. If it does come back, then try replacing the cap .

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
So in doing some more research it looks like what I can try from home is replacing the gas cap or evap Canister Purge Valve. The purge valve seems to be a common issue but so does the gas cap. Any idea which I should replace first or is there a way to test them without just throwing parts at it?
Very rare to have the gas cap go bad. It’s probably the Purge Valve. About $30 for the AC Delco part, and maybe 30 min. to change it. Very easy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I cleared the code on Saturday and it hasn’t come back yet. Hopefully it stays off!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I jinxed myself. CEL came in again today. Amazon has the purge valve listed as AC Delco. It the picture says Bosch. Is that the OEM part?

Dealer wants $60 for it.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Thanks guys. I cleared the code on Saturday and it hasn’t come back yet. Hopefully it stays off!

Here is the one from GM Parts Direct site. The one you pictured is identical and does have the GM part number on it, so you would be good with that one. Most of the time, GM uses Delphi for parts like that, but Bosch is as good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to follow up in case anyone is interested.

I bought the one on amazon - it was the OEM part. Took about 15 minutes to remove the old one and put the new one in from start to finish - not hard at all and the check engine light is no longer on

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Awesome! It’s always very helpful to others when members check back in and give an update on the success of the repair. Thanks, Greg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts