Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Colorado LT 2.8 L Diesel
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. I bought 2016 diesel Colorado in November. After a few delays, I finally got my Iron Bull bumper and installed it yesterday. However, I did not discover that I had to cut my old bumper to fill in the gap under the headlights until now (I thought black piece shown below was included). I’m looking for creative ways to fill in this hole and increase the style/ function (possibly additional light bars). I would prefer to not cut down my old bumper cover if possible, but do not want to spend $300 on a new one only to cut half of it off. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
(I also have the eom fog lamps that I’m working on popping out and looking to repurpose: on front or in the bed)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
First...Holy F--K that bumper's huge, or maybe bad pic angle...?? Your truck, but not really digging the look...waht are you doing - pushing elephants around the block? :D

Second, make sure you do a proper intro to the site...posting f/ one answer & ditching (e.g. post & run) isn't really the way to better the site, or members.

Lastly, have you checked around w/local salvage yards? I'm sure someone's got a 2nd Gen Colorado w/ good front-end to part-out. Probably pay less than half of new for a bumper cover. Good luck & hope you find something to fit the gap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First...Holy F--K that bumper's huge, or maybe bad pic angle...?? Your truck, but not really digging the look...waht are you doing - pushing elephants around the block? :D

Second, make sure you do a proper intro to the site...posting f/ one answer & ditching (e.g. post & run) isn't really the way to better the site, or members.

Lastly, have you checked around w/local salvage yards? I'm sure someone's got a 2nd Gen Colorado w/ good front-end to part-out. Probably pay less than half of new for a bumper cover. Good luck & hope you find something to fit the gap.
You’re right. It’s huge. We whack tons of deer where I live. My brother has hit 2 with his ranch hand. All our trucks have guards (I’m sure you know that they only make 3 that are worth anything for the Colorado and ranch hand isn’t one of them SMH). I paid too much for this one, it took twice as long to come, and now we got a headache to deal with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I mentioned, I just found out about the second part of this job (this custom bumper is not so custom anymore)... I’ll be contacting salvage yards Monday when they open.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just another thought....don't worry about color matching...just get something in good shape and paint it black or use a roll on or spray on bedliner on it.
Also, just curious, which 3 bumpers for the Colorado do you think are the ones worthwhile...I'm starting to take a look at what's out there.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s what I was thinking. I didn’t think black looked too bad, but I was told red covers well. Fab fours has a couple good ones:

I asked customer service if the bumpers were all one piece because if not I wanted to buy the powder coated piece that looks like is missing on my truck of the vengence. I’m still waiting to hear back but it looks like my bumper sits lower and I would still have a gap if I used their piece.

summit racing:
And of course iron bull, which is what I chose. Ironcross, and black horse offer a few good looking options, but I wanted a steel bumper and grille guard and I felt having them integrated was a better choice than piecing together a steel bumper and then a grille guard.
The advertising on ironbull was all directed at deer protection and their YouTube videos show it vs a Chevy impala.

I just wish I had a heads up going into this. When I asked for installation instructions like fab fours has a pdf of online they reassured me that it was easy: 8 bolts to attach to frame. (You re-use the bolts to attach their bracket but the hardware didn’t come with it). I had to run to the hardware store for 8 1/2” X 1 1/8” bolts. I think we are going to modify it a bit more to close in the gap in the middle still too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There you go Sir. that’s exactly what you need. Very easy to install yourself. You can probably get a good deal at auto body shop to paint if you bring them the pieces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome TK209! And half the price of the eom bumper. Does anyone know if there is compatibility issues btw ZR2 and 2016 LT for the fillet panals?

Mtn_man, I know it’s unfortunate that it didn’t end up being what I was hoping for, but of the limited options it was what I liked best to suit my needs and provide piece of mind. I couldn’t tell you how good it felt to relax on my way home after installing the bumper. It is overkill, but will def improve the safety score. Still got 28.5 mpg too, despite driving irritated after the instal.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You’re right. It’s huge. We whack tons of deer where I live. My brother has hit 2 with his ranch hand. All our trucks have guards (I’m sure you know that they only make 3 that are worth anything for the Colorado and ranch hand isn’t one of them SMH). I paid too much for this one, it took twice as long to come, and now we got a headache to deal with.
Makes sense though (sturdy). I had a "DeerSlayer" moment 6-months after purchase...$pendy fix & your bumper/guard would've definitely just laughed at the deer. Good solution f/ your situation. :D

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Where do you live that you have that many deer?

·
Registered
342 Posts
The bison or zr2 filler panels should bolt right on, but you will have misalignment where the part meets the fender and the wheel wells are flared out more on bison/zr2. I would try the junk yard route first and find a bumper you can trim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found a surplus bumper for $150. Had to drive 6 hours round trip, but I painted it with bed liner and installed it today.
Hunter62: I live on the PA/ NY border (near vestal, NY). I’ve narrowly missed 4 deer in my first 5K miles with this truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
598 Posts
That’s what I was thinking. I didn’t think black looked too bad, but I was told red covers well. Fab fours has a couple good ones:

I asked customer service if the bumpers were all one piece because if not I wanted to buy the powder coated piece that looks like is missing on my truck of the vengence. I’m still waiting to hear back but it looks like my bumper sits lower and I would still have a gap if I used their piece.

summit racing:
And of course iron bull, which is what I chose. Ironcross, and black horse offer a few good looking options, but I wanted a steel bumper and grille guard and I felt having them integrated was a better choice than piecing together a steel bumper and then a grille guard.
The advertising on ironbull was all directed at deer protection and their YouTube videos show it vs a Chevy impala.

I just wish I had a heads up going into this. When I asked for installation instructions like fab fours has a pdf of online they reassured me that it was easy: 8 bolts to attach to frame. (You re-use the bolts to attach their bracket but the hardware didn’t come with it). I had to run to the hardware store for 8 1/2” X 1 1/8” bolts. I think we are going to modify it a bit more to close in the gap in the middle still too.
I would like to see an offset collision like the NTSB does. As you know, the bumpers on modern vehicles are designed to absorb energy in a collision, not like a gigantic hunk of unforgiving steel that won't even allow the airbags to deploy. It would be interesting to see how much cabin deformation would occur as well as the resultant headless test dummy aftermath.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Awesome TK209! And half the price of the eom bumper. Does anyone know if there is compatibility issues btw ZR2 and 2016 LT for the fillet panals?

Mtn_man, I know it’s unfortunate that it didn’t end up being what I was hoping for, but of the limited options it was what I liked best to suit my needs and provide piece of mind. I couldn’t tell you how good it felt to relax on my way home after installing the bumper. It is overkill, but will def improve the safety score. Still got 28.5 mpg too, despite driving irritated after the instal.
I hear you I live in an area where the yard rats are plentiful as well. I just installed some really loud horns that they don't ignore and stay alert. I've hit one, but it just bounced off of my car and left no damage, I was able to slow down to less that 20mph, blind off camber turn at night.

When I was younger and in MT with a friend (he was driving a little fast) and we got pulled over and given a warning about the consequences of hitting elk. Now that would be insane...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I was younger and in MT with a friend (he was driving a little fast) and we got pulled over and given a warning about the consequences of hitting elk. Now that would be insane...
That bumper would not protect you against some elk.
I know if you hit a full size elk like the ones we have in Pa it's going to go over the hood and through the windshield! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where in PA have you seen elk? I guess that justifies a lift kit then :D

I need to weld a metal screen in the front still, but I need to search around on here for a lifted forum. I was not happy to discover that my Subaru Outback has more front end clearance than the Colorado.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts