Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My power-locks truck is locked with a dead battery, and neither of the two keys I received with the truck (ignition) will manually unlock the doors. Question, is it possible to release the hood from outside/under the truck? If I can get to the battery I can charge it, and the problem will be solved. Somehow I feel that opening the hood will be less traumatic to the bodywork than jimmying open a door/window, with or without AAA.

Thank you!

·
Registered
161 Posts
What year truck? There is usually some kind of work around for these situations.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
The hood can be opened from outside. It is relatively easy, but the directions may be a bit confusing.

Look through the grille, about 1-1/2 inches below the hood. On the front of the latch assembly locate a circular mount with a spring around it. Just to the left (as you are facing it) you will see an opening in the assembly. In that opening look for a flat silver colored steel part. That is the release. There is a small opening to the left of that object, where you can insert a flat bladed screwdriver. You can then twist the screwdriver to move the latch to the open position.

I've got to find a different method of posting pictures since Photobucket is now useless.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Just curious, will the keys turn the lock in either lock or unlock position or they won't turn the lock at all? Sometimes the lock cylinder will stick, but turn in one direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.