Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to do a 2/3 inch drop on my 2wd z85. what exactly do i need for this. i dont want to do leafs in the rear because i know its more money. i would really like to do a 3/4. would i need to get a camber kit aswell or no? thanks guys i need help on this stuff. and i hear ppl gettin sway bars or something, but i dont kno why. lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
hey, i don't know much about colorado's cuz i just got my Z85 day before yesterday, however i do know a bit about cars in general and i've done a bunch of searching too... so here's what i know and have deduced so far....

leafs vs blocks: if you block the rear you retain the stock spring. the stock spring is spec'd to anticipate the travel available between the normal ride height and the frame rail. therefore when you block it you place the axle closer to the frame rail and the normal movement allowed by the spring will have the axle hitting the frame rail. a lowering leaf on the other hand should (if the manufacturer knows his sh!t) be stiffer to accomodate the fact that there is less room for movement before the axle hits the frame rail.

all that said, the consensus seems to be that a 4" rear drop on a Z85 will have your axle hitting the frame frequently regarless of blocks or leafs. cutting down/removing the axle bumpers will help, however only cutting a notch into the frame rail for the axle will solve the problem. i see that belltech makes a bolt in reinforcement kit to allow notching for those of us without access to a welder to reinforce the cutaway portion of the frame.

with both 2 & 3" front drops it would appear you will need a wheel alignment afterwards, but i don't believe you need a camber kit. some pro should chime in on this...

rear sway bar: sway bars are theoretically a performance item. by curtailing the amount that a vehicle rolls towards the outside of a corner a sway bar helps to keep the tires closer to vertical, therefore increasing the contact patch and grip of the tires. however in the world of lowering there is a companion benefit and that is that adding a rear sway bar (Z85's have a front one stock) will make the box less likely to roll to the outside of corners causing the axle to hit the frame rail. for your budgeting purposes you don't need one.

hope that helps!

·
Registered
510 Posts
3/4 is no problem. plenty of people have that setup. if you want to save money go with the djm 3/4 kit. you will need an alignment but that is it. notching isnt really necessary and the frame hits once in a while. as long as you dont drive 45 over speed bumps and take caution with dips you will be fine. you just have to take into consideration that you truck will drive more like a car and it will be the same height too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys that helps a fair bit!!!! i would love to do a 3/4 but i will be puttin dirtbikes in the bike of the bed alot. i wonder if that weight will be too much. and for the djm kit. whast the best way to do it. blocks in the rear?control arms up front? do i keep stock front springs. like what do i need for a whole kit. for either 3/4 or 2/3? thats what i really need to know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i'll let you know on saturday! putting in a 2/3 belltech spring/leaf and that's all i got... 4 springs! we'll see if it works without replacing the shocks... i've asked the question on the forum but no one's answered so when i drive off on saturday either i'll be banging onto the bottom of the stroke on the shocks or i'll be ok... either way i'll report back, but if it turns out the shocks are ok, the literally all you need to do is buy the cheapest kit you want... djm you get lower control arms, belltech you get springs... that's the front... for a budget guy, get blocks for the back. they're just hunks of metal so might as well get djm's as they're cheaper. i haul bikes too which is why i went 2/3. bbarry24 says you'll be ok-ish with a 3/4 but he may not be contemplating 500 pounds of bikes and gear on a logging road....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much was it for the four springs u bought? and from where? becasue i heard doing leaf springs are more expensive then blocking it. and why would djm use control arms and belltech uses springs. like y would they be opposite. which is better, 3inch springs or 3 control arms? haha and ya 500 pounds might be a problem. bu tu never know. are you goign to do an alignment check before u drive away lol>? thanks for asnwering all my questions man.

·
Registered
76 Posts
just noticed you're in canada too! i got my front springs and rear leafs for $500. but most of the cost was the rear leafs... i think the front springs were like $160 for the pair. if you go with blocks for the rear the kit including the u-bolts shouldn't be more than $70 so you should be able to do the job for like $230 canadian. got my stuff from a place called lordco, but they only operate out west i think...

springs vs control arms is just a different solution to the same problem. belltech, who make a 2" drop spring ALSO make a 2" drop ball joint, which is a third way to achieve the same thing. I'm sure that there are subtle differences in how the three solutions behave in terms of ride and clearances, but i'd be suprised if the regular dude could tell them apart.

i'll get an alignment pretty quick afterwards although i don't know if it's necessary, i'm just doin' it to be safe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ok... that was a beyotch to do... some of the pros said 3 hours.... took me 6. ok, MOST of that was 2 things... doing up and undoing the spring compressors... THATS a pita.... and those effing sway bar linkages that you have to grab on the end to stop them from spinning when you undo/do up. wierd mix of imperial and metric. lot's of 15mm stuff and lots of 13/16". 13/16 deep socket was super handy. no instuctions anywhere on the rear leafs but it was kind of obvious what to do. the stock leafs have a tab attached that the emergency brake cable bolts on to... no such thing on the belltechs so i zip tied them on for now... we'll see what happens there. i got a full 2" drop on both sides at the front instantly. the rear which was to be 3" is showing 2 1/2 and 2 1/4 so we'll see if it settles any more. before and after pics attached and also the new truck beside what it's replacing!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet man i like it...thanks for the pics! so the 2' coils were easy to replace eh? and thats all it was for the front end, everything else stock..and u got the full 2inch drop thats good. on stylintrucks.com, for DJM it says YOU MUST use drop shocks when using coil springs and blocks aswell in the rear? but beltech just says they recommend it, they dotn say u have to use them???

·
Registered
76 Posts
been driving it for 24 hours on stock shocks with no problems... maybe i haven't hit anything big yet, but really, i can't see why it would matter TOO much. i haven't increased the suspension travel in the compression direction so the shocks shouldn't bottom out. their new normal operating position will be slighty compressed and i don't know enough about shock internals to know if that will compromise their damping performance or shorten their life, but in terms of daily driving i haven't noticed any problems.

the whole swap (-2" coil -3" leaf) was pretty straightforward other than you got to have spring compressors and a decent tool selection. i suspect you can rent spring compressors from somewhere. (i borrowed a set from my buddy who's a shop teacher at a high school)

and that was the entire parts list btw... 2 coils, 2 leafs... that was it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok cool man...ya my buddy has a mechanic shop and he said it wouldnt be a problem he has all the snap on tools and has changed leaf springs many times. do u really notice a big differnece now in the way it looks in person. i can tell a lil bit by the pic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ya, it seems more of a drop in real life than the pix show. that said, visually i'd go 3/4 if i didn't intend to have a load in the back. from the reading i've done on the forum it would seem that with a 3/4 drop if you just use it as a daily driver (ie. no big loads in the box) and avoid speed bumps you won't hit the axle on the frame, but i got the impression that if i intended to put 5-600 pounds in the back fairly regularly i'd be banging the axle on the frame all the time unless i notched it...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya im really thinking to go 3/4 now, im just trying to ask around to see wuts best way of doing it and cheapest. im thinking to do this, but i dont know how well it will work-.
all belltech parts.
Front:
-2" control arms
-1" coil springs
...i dont knwo if that would drop it 3" for sure, or if it can work without replacing the shocks?
Rear:
-3" leaf springs
-1" drop blocks.
maybe the c-notch kit, and i dont know if i should change shocks aswell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts