Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made the decision to lift my truck and am thinking of staying on the lower range. 1-3 inches. Heres my question. I know a ton of guys run level kits and from the searches I've done pretty much everyone is happy and the consensus is that the truck just rides a bit stiffer. In my case I really don't mind spending more to keep the ride smoother or smoother than stock. I see coilovers from multiple companies but have no clue what type of ride I'll get from these. I do minimal off roading, but will do some trails once a year. So heres my question. Having no budget(within reason)....What kit will give me 1-3 inch lift with the absolute best ride.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've made the decision to lift my truck and am thinking of staying on the lower range. 1-3 inches. Heres my question. I know a ton of guys run level kits and from the searches I've done pretty much everyone is happy and the consensus is that the truck just rides a bit stiffer. In my case I really don't mind spending more to keep the ride smoother or smoother than stock. I see coilovers from multiple companies but have no clue what type of ride I'll get from these. I do minimal off roading, but will do some trails once a year. So heres my question. Having no budget(within reason)....What kit will give me 1-3 inch lift with the absolute best ride.

Well, IMHO I would go with a set of Bilstein RHA 5100's and use your OEM front coils. IIRC a set of 4 (F&R) sells for around $360.00 plus your install (About 3-4 hours).

·
Registered
194 Posts
your ride will definitely be firmer with a coilover I found the oem suspension was great, though soft which is what affords it that car-like ride. a coilover lift will tighten things up more. if you really enjoy the stock ride, keep the stock suspension and add just a typical leveling kit spacer. If you want to improve drive-ability with a firmer ride, then venture into the ride height adjustable struts. The struts or coilovers are certainly better than a leveling kit spacer, but since you're saying you want to have a smoother ride, you may be better off keep the stock units.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Fox (team silver), King (Team blue), or Icon (unsure honestly) have adjustable coilovers that allow you adjust ride firmness. Though you are looking at >1700 bucks for something like that.

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
The 2 inch RC will make your truck turn corners with out the mushy body roll you have now.
2inch front 1 in the back. Over that you will need to drop the front diff

Or maybe a 1 inch spacer with a body lift.

Reactions: DougC

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys. Let me rephrase, my goal isn't necessarily to keep the stock feel. But I want the best ride possible. Firmer and tighter isn't bad at all. I just don't want "stiff".It seems like I'd only be spending an extra grand to do this right which Im ok with. So with coil overs.....Will it be a better firmer ride or like the stiff spacer ride?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Maybe look into eibach lift springs and leveling shocks

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
thanks for the info guys. Let me rephrase, my goal isn't necessarily to keep the stock feel. But I want the best ride possible. Firmer and tighter isn't bad at all. I just don't want "stiff".It seems like I'd only be spending an extra grand to do this right which Im ok with. So with coil overs.....Will it be a better firmer ride or like the stiff spacer ride?
Just FYI, the spacer on top of the coil over assembly method is not "stiff", it is a stock ride.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The RC 2” level doesn’t make the front stiff, I would challenge you to notice the difference driving 2 trucks...one with RC 2” (with spring spacer) and performance accessories 2” (top only spacer) stock ride.

The difference is very minimal on the street.

Too many overthink this....

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 for Bilstein 5100's.

I have them on all 4 corners and couldn't be happier. Did the full 2" lift in front on a crew-cab long bed Canyon SLT. Running 17" All Terrain rims with 265/70R17 Cooper A/Tw tires.

Rides smooth and quiet, sits perfectly IMHO (still a tiny bit of rake) and the slightly larger tires fill the wheel wells nicely. No rubbing at all with factory mudflaps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
+1 for Bilstein 5100's.

I have them on all 4 corners and couldn't be happier. Did the full 2" lift in front on a crew-cab long bed Canyon SLT. Running 17" All Terrain rims with 265/70R17 Cooper A/Tw tires.

Rides smooth and quiet, sits perfectly IMHO (still a tiny bit of rake) and the slightly larger tires fill the wheel wells nicely. No rubbing at all with factory mudflaps.
+2 for the Bilsteins

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for all the help and Im not going to over think it. I ordered the ready lift 1.25 billet aluminum spacers. Main reason I went with these was the minimal height increase and I prefer billet aluminum to steel.
Thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny that?s my next question. What?s the best way to lift the rear and where can I purchase

Reactions: alphaecho4386

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone comment on the icon 1 inch rear block? It?s the only company I can find that?s the size I want. Comments?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Can anyone comment on the icon 1 inch rear block? It's the only company I can find that's the size I want. Comments?

You can use a ZR2 rear block and U-bolts which are both available from the dealer. IIRC the ZR2 rear block crosses over to the same rear block used on some of the 1500 trucks. Sorry, can't remember the part number..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.