Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm really happy with the BFGs. They have about 40,000 on them and I'll likely get another set when these wear out. I probably lost 1 mpg and picked up just a tad more road noise when I switched from the stock Goodyear tires to the BFGs. I drive a combination of highway (80 mph is common here in Montana) and on dirt and gravel roads in all weather.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
284 Posts
Most tire reviews are completely worthless. The average tire consumer has just about zero qualifications to give us any credible information about any tires performance. "this tire is great in the mud" - without knowing the drivers skill level, what kind of mud they were attempting to drive in and any number of other variables, including what the reviewer's opinion is in reference to, all combined to make stuff you read on websites that sell tires, worthless.

Of course, you may find my review of your opinion worthless as well :)
I found the perfect tire for my Avalanche based on Discount Tire customer reviews and Cooper customer reviews. I got the Cooper Discover M&S based on the reviews and they were the best snow tires I ever drove on. When it came time to replace them Discount Tire tried to sell me another tire but I bought the same ones again because they were that good.

Discount Tire reviews list the State the reviewer is in as well as the type of driving they do.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are way to many options and I want to hear some peoples opinions and thoughts on tires. Im between a few.... Kenda Klever RT, YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR X-AT, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC, BFG K02, and the Nitto Ridge Grappler.
I have had a few sets of KO2s on my trucks and have always been pleased with the performance durability and sound level. Best of all their made in America. I put a set on my ZR2 last week taking it to 33” with the GM leveling kit and AEV‘s trim kit for 33”. The stock Goodyear duratracks were nice as well but I wanted the look of 33s. The tuck looks awesome.if you know someone who wants a set of the 265/65r17 duratrac tires with 682 miles on them let me know

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are way to many options and I want to hear some peoples opinions and thoughts on tires. Im between a few.... Kenda Klever RT, YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR X-AT, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC, BFG K02, and the Nitto Ridge Grappler.
I've had Nitto, Toyo, GoodYear, BFG, Cooper, ProComp, Michelin, and others I cannot remember. I found my favorite Tire in 2017...( drum roll ).....General Grabber
ATx.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6 4X4. Bilstein 6112/5160 +2.4" up front
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I've had Nitto, Toyo, GoodYear, BFG, Cooper, ProComp, Michelin, and others I cannot remember. I found my favorite Tire in 2017...( drum roll ).....General Grabber
ATx.
What made it your favorite?

·
Registered
19 Posts
What made it your favorite?
All the tires I listed performed decently for their purpose. General did far better , for me.
Example:
I've had BFG KO2 on 2500 HD duramax 4x4 diesel..I replaced them time and time again after 35k miles.
Nitto became weather checked after a couple years..as did Toyo and Cooper.
ProComp went "out of round" after 2-3 years.
Good Year and Michelin were..OK. General supplied me a bit better performance and their longevity outshined all others. The Grabber ATx tread is a bit deeper than most as well. Their price is outstanding. Oh , and the only tire to date ( knocking on wood now ) that haven't been victim a nail , screw or flat.
General Grabber D range AT2..65k miles on my 2017 4 door Jeep Wrangler , 95% of their life was spent in Florida. Which means hot ass asphalt , beach , trail , mud and the 4:00 daily summer rain deluge. They had 1/4" of tread after 65k miles. I've lived in Michigan for almost 2 years now..I traded the Jeep in for a 2012 Duramax. . It ran General Grabber ATx...great in mud , snow and muck. In the middle of all that was a 1993 Dodge 1st Gen diesel. It ran me back and forth from Fla to Mi. It was my moving truck , so to speak. I am now down to a single vehicle. The GoodYears were removed from the ZR2 and replaced with the General ATx. Generals have also been on a 2010 Malibu I had. Performed great.
I live on a 2 track back woods road now. A road I have to maintain and plow to get out of through winter. Essentially in the middle of 1000's of State land acreage. It can be a mess out here. No matter the vehicle - I will always run with General.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have K02 in 265/70/17 which is a 44lb load C tire. Great off road and in snow. Decent on road when new and for the first 25K miles or so. But now at 32K and 5 years old they are getting rather noisy. I could probably put another year / 8K miles on them but I am also considering getting a new set with some aftermarket wheels to augment the looks and give me better ride. Since these tires are still in decent shape with about 10/32” of tread left - I may just store these and run them in the winter for ski season and for any off road excursions I do and run a milder highway focused AT tire in the same size the majority of the time.
2”/1” lift on mine so the 265/70 fits perfectly and looks great. Going to a 265/65 would save some weight but that 3/4” shorter wouldn’t look quite right.

**update - found my steel ruler and less tread than I thought actually. 7/32 rear and 9/32 front. So I need to rotate these tires for one thing!

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6 4X4. Bilstein 6112/5160 +2.4" up front
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Let me throw this into the mix. I would love to go with 33s. How essential is re-gearing for 33s. Is it just about power and performance or are there other things to factor in as well

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Let me throw this into the mix. I would love to go with 33s. How essential is re-gearing for 33s. Is it just about power and performance or are there other things to factor in as well
re-gearing with 33's depends on what you plan to do with your truck

I installed lightweight 33's and did not see much if any difference in gas mileage, performance or ride. Set the cruise at 70 an pulls my 18ft Lowe 1800 just fine

If you go to e-rated tires you will lose performance, gas mileage and ride, so you may want to re-gear just to get the street performance you lost with the extra 12-20lbs per tire you added to the OEM tires. I do not see a reason to just re-gear to rock crawl as the Lo gear in the transfer case will get you anywhere you want to go...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I threw some Falken Wildpeaks AT3 and am glad I did. They drive great on highway and off road. They look agressive also. You must consider these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
I threw some Falken Wildpeaks AT3 and am glad I did. They drive great on highway and off road. They look agressive also. You must consider these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea, when i first got them they looked quite aggressive and i was concerned they would be annoyingly loud on the highway, but am pleasantly surprised at how good the on-blacktop manners are of this tire.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's also about whether the truck shifts at the correct rpm or not with the larger tires

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't think anyone needs to regear for 33s.

I've run 285/70r17 BFG KO2s on two trucks now:
1. V6 Canyon (Trifecta Advantage+ tune)
2. Diesel ZR2 (no tune. Hypertech speedo cal)

I didn't regear for either. The BFGs are C load rating and lighter than some others. Echoing @Hunter62, that could make some difference. The Trifecta doesn't add any real power to the truck and I wouldn't say it's necessary, but it's a great option to improve the drivability of the V6 (even with stock tires). The diesel has a natural torque advantage and I honestly barely noticed the change when accelerating. On both trucks, I noticed longer braking distances at first, but you quickly adjust to applying more pressure (and gears won't help that anyway).

I have since pulled the trigger on 35s and I'm regearing and tuning the diesel to accommodate that because I think it will be noticeable then.

It's also about whether the truck shifts at the correct rpm or not with the larger tires
In both cases above (one 8-speed and one 6-speed), I have had no issues at all with shift points. Truck feels (and shifts) like stock if only a tad slower to get moving. Speedo was corrected, but TCM not touched for either.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts