Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6 4X4. Bilstein 6112/5160 +2.4" up front
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are way to many options and I want to hear some peoples opinions and thoughts on tires. Im between a few.... Kenda Klever RT, YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR X-AT, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC, BFG K02, and the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ridge grappler, look good, ride good on and off road. So far, wear well, as in little wear after 20k miles.
My only concern with the ridge grappler is that I believe it's the only one on the list without a warranty...But then again I don't think I've ever used a tire warranty or even really know what it is used for.

·
Registered
Black 2017 Canyon Denali CCSB, 2.8 Diesel, 4x4
225 Posts
My only concern with the ridge grappler is that I believe it's the only one on the list without a warranty...But then again I don't think I've ever used a tire warranty or even really know what it is used for.
That is true. You are correct, it doesn’t have wear warranty. But wear warranty only work when your tires are wearing evenly. If not evenly worn, the warranty is void. Most warranty used to prorate tires (I used to sell tires at Pepboys) are road hazard warranty. You can buy the road hazard warranty from the tire shop.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've run the KO2 on my trucks for many years and like them. My ZR2 came with the Duratracs and I think they have been good. I have 37k miles and still lots of tread. Some on here have said the Duratracs don't do well on wet roads, but I don't see that often enough to know.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
284 Posts
It would be helpful to know what type of driving you do. Do you need an off road tire or do need one that does good in snow? Is it an all terrain for show or will it get dirty?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ridge grappler, look good, ride good on and off road. So far, wear well, as in little wear after 20k miles.
^^^^^^^ - 2nd that comment / I have 16k on mine & very little wear

·
Registered
260 Posts
It would be helpful to know what type of driving you do. Do you need an off road tire or do need one that does good in snow? Is it an all terrain for show or will it get dirty?
This 100%, can't just say help me pick a tire and not give any details, otherwise we will have to assume based on the tire choices given this is strictly for looks on a pavement princess. So much goes in to choosing a set of tires. What terrain will they see, is price a concern, what about tire wear, mpg, noise, weight, etc. Give some more details and a better choice can be made.

I spent probably a few months leading up to the replacement of mine checking reviews (on many forums as well), being honest with my driving and the terrain it will see and how often as well as other things. I realized after owning an aggressive set of AT tires I prefer a mild AT as probably 95% of my driving is to work and around towing as well as some towing and inclement weather. I wanted something quieter and got descent mpg, kept the price reasonable but also would be able to handle the trails out west. When I did the white rim trail and alpine loop specifically that is more than probably 98% of the owners here will ever put their truck through and even my aggressive AT tires were more than the trials needed, so I knew a mild AT would fit the bill as I was tired of the tire noise (especially after they wore down; I can only imagine how annoying daily a hybrid tire or even an MT could be...). I wasn't looking to go through mud bogs or slide my truck on class 5+ trails and with how good tire tech has been getting even mild AT tires are performing admirably in mud and snow. Sticking with a P-rated tire was fine for the occasional trails and a P-rated AT tire is plenty tough and able to with stand punctures when aired down which is important off road, plus air it up to tow and it gives a good ride without dropping mpg much on the daily commute or performance.

Tyler

·
Registered
225 Posts
To be fair, OP did give a selection of tires that were being consider. Maybe just give the opinion on those selected few if you have experience with them. Why does OP driving conditions matter given the selection posted?

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
436 Posts
Put the wildpeaks on your radar if you haven’t already ruled them out. I love mine. Klever RTs do look great and I’ve heard great things about them too. They also have a very desirable size selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've run a set of Yokohama Geolandar ATs on a Land Rover Discovery (I believe 285/70R17s) , Duratracs on the Bison and an FJ Cruiser, (285/70R17s on both) and BFG AT and AT KOs on a CJ-7 and Cherokee (33x12.50 and 31x10.50s respectively). All of these tires worked well in all season driving, even winter.
I think of the three, the best road going tire with respect to wear, ride quality and overall traction would be the Geolandars.
Best winter performance would be a toss up between the Duratracs and the BFGs, with maybe a slight edge to the Duratracs.
Noisiest were the Duratracs and quietest were the Geolandars.

I don't have personal experience with the Kendas or Nittos.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Personal experience - 1 Wildpeaks. 2 KO2s. I like the lighter and taller Wildpeak but the KO2s probably look more "aggressive." Cant go wrong with either one!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Realistically, you can't go wrong with any of those in your list. I chose the Kenda Klever RT's for the size (35x10.50R17), the price (~$175/tire) and the aggressive sidewall protection. And I'm very happy with my choice. They have about 12k on them so far and seem to be wearing pretty slowly. Those are not easy miles either. Low and slow is not my forte. I punish them offroad. On and off road grip is great and noise is decent for an RT tire. I've thrown my 6000# truck into corners in dirt and pavement and she just grips and goes. Looks like the truck is gonna roll, but she stays glued to the ground.

While I didn't have any real issues with the stock Duratrac, I think the small size was hindering it's performance. The Kenda's have nearly the same width and tread pattern as the stock ZR2 Duratracs. But I saw an immediate improvement in cornering offroad. Even at 40psi.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got off road hopefully a few times a month. Some months are once a month and other 4-5. I live in southern california so it's a lot of dessert and dry weather. We get a few rain storm a year and I drive to the mountains a few times a year for some snow play. This truck is my daily driver but she definitely gets dirty.

·
Registered
260 Posts
To be fair, OP did give a selection of tires that were being consider. Maybe just give the opinion on those selected few if you have experience with them. Why does OP driving conditions matter given the selection posted?
Let's see, a more mud focused tire sucks in most snowy conditions (especially hard packed snow or ice), like wise then siping matters too with those choices. I believe the Nitto's were a bad choice in terms of siping as I saw on another thread if my mind recalls correctly. Some tires are softer and if he lives in say the desert southwest the heat can wear them out much quicker so maybe he wants longevity? If he lives where it rains a lot the BFG's aren't great in the rain and are known to hydroplane. If he doesn't off road much at all then maybe how quiet the tire is matters or if he does the location can provide a better idea on the environment he will be going. Off road in the desert is different than the Smokey mountains versus the Florida swamps, all those will dictate a different choice of those tires. Plus many of times people post up asking with no clue other than those are what they see on other trucks and look coolest then later they find out how much an aggressive tires truly sucks every day if you aren't utilizing it and they regret their decision or want something that better fits their driving style. So yes, the driving conditions and the location matter significantly...

Tyler

·
Registered
151 Posts
I’m a big fan of nittos. I used them on my Mach 1 and Shelby and abused them and they just never seemed to wear. They hooked up great. When ready I’m doing ridge grapplers to my pickup. Oh and the price is right on their tires. If you want a good hybrid tire and do very little off road I think this would be a good choice. I drive some dirt roads at Camp Pendleton for work but nothing like some guys do on this forum.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Let's see, a more mud focused tire sucks in most snowy conditions (especially hard packed snow or ice), like wise then siping matters too with those choices. I believe the Nitto's were a bad choice in terms of siping as I saw on another thread if my mind recalls correctly. Some tires are softer and if he lives in say the desert southwest the heat can wear them out much quicker so maybe he wants longevity? If he lives where it rains a lot the BFG's aren't great in the rain and are known to hydroplane. If he doesn't off road much at all then maybe how quiet the tire is matters or if he does the location can provide a better idea on the environment he will be going. Off road in the desert is different than the Smokey mountains versus the Florida swamps, all those will dictate a different choice of those tires. Plus many of times people post up asking with no clue other than those are what they see on other trucks and look coolest then later they find out how much an aggressive tires truly sucks every day if you aren't utilizing it and they regret their decision or want something that better fits their driving style. So yes, the driving conditions and the location matter significantly...

Tyler
I agree with with you in picking a tire. But apparently OP have already done his research to come down to a selected few. OP is not asking for a mother to hold hands. OP asking for opinion and personal experience.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’ll throw in my opinion for the Goodyear Duratrac as I have 300 miles on mine since swapping. They are a bit noisier than the stock tires (I was absolutely expecting this and it is not terrible but noticeable) but I’m used to having some noisy tires on my trucks.

I have noticed that after sitting for a day or more, they seem to develop a flat spot that works itself out after a few miles and after warming up. More noticeable in colder weather.

They give this truck the appearance it deserved to have straight from the factory. I’ve never really been a fan of “all-seasons” on trucks but everyone has their own opinion and purposes for their vehicle.

Overall I am happy with my choice in the Duratracs. I still have yet to get them off-road to see how they really shine but I have no concerns that they will do just fine.

I did consider the BFG KO2, as I have run them in the past on my S-10, but ultimately it came down to weight for me. The size I wanted was quite a bit heavier when compared to the Duratracs in the same size. But that’s a trade off for more plies, stiffer side walls and overall tougher carcass which is less likely to be “punctured” off-road.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I was shopping I found that most of the tires were waaaayyyy heavier than the stock Goodyears, which would effect performance . I found through some research that Hankook DynaPros were within a pound or 2 of the stock tires , I bought a set and have been very happy with them. As a note I have always been a fan of BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2, Just thought I would add an option !

1 - 20 of 54 Posts