Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
@Stevef what did you get?
@Iamscotticus , a Tab 320s. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I got a decent close out price on it because it was the dealers last 2019 unit. The quality of the thing was so much better than anything else I'd looked at, I couldn't say no. I spent over two hours messing around with it, looking it over inside and out, playing around with stuff, and I didn't find a single thing of questionable assembly or materials quality. I can't say that about anything else I've considered over the last two years I've been casually looking. Plus it's just so damned cute!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
A tear drop!

That is cute!
Good departure angle.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yeah, a big teardrop, a "standie." As in, it has enough room to stand up in and move around a bit. (if you're short) No outside kitchen. I'm frustrated with myself because, despite all the time I spent looking mine over, I didn't take a single picture of it. And it's being stored at the dealer (3 hours away) until spring. D'oh. It's white with red trim, not my first choice, honestly. I like the more neutral silver and black or grey trim better. But, hey, when you buy off the lot you don't get to pick a color. And it's a pretty trailer, an iconic color combo for the model, actually. Just a little flashy for me, and a little clashy with my copper-red truck. It looks like this one:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Op, if you haven't already purchased a trailer, i would highly suggest a Forest River product. Their customer service is good and they stand behind their product. My first trailer for them, I just contacted the warranty rep directly and he sent me whatever products I needed to fix the few little things that broke. I have heard horror stories about Thor customer service.

We recently bought an rpod. On the west coast, they are manufactured in Dallas, or. Very well built camper and narrow.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
RP-192 has the best shower Ive seen in the class. I think I would have more plastic wall covering.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
There is an expandable model floor plan, but nothing else on it than a floor plan.
That master bed looks interesting but I don't know what they're doing there.
A removable cushion?
My idea of sleeping quarters is "bear-proof".

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Just when I was about to tell you about this one!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
I ended up getting a 2019 Winnebago 2106DS. Here's how I did by my original criteria.

I have a few favorites, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Here are my criteria, the first three being the most important.

1. Available in Washington state or British Columbia. Check--not too much of a problem.
2. Unloaded weight somewhere under 3,500, under 3,000 preferred. Missed this one--it's 3,780.
3. Aerodynamic. Narrow is okay if that's what it takes to reach that goal. But sloped front Murphy bed models also seem aerodynamic. 7' wide and Murphy bed. Turns out the wife wanted the bed north/south, so that ruled out a number of trailers.
4. No pullouts!. Missed here, but it's a shallow pullout for a couch, and you can leave it in camping, but it blocks the TV and two cabinets.
5. Only needs to sleep 2, but I don't want one of those ultra small things that basically you can only sleep in. Prefer a Murphy bed setup, but not necessary. Check.
6. Tandem axles preferred, but may be difficult to find in that weight range. Check, but went over weight.
7 Inside kitchen and although a wet bath would be okay, not preferred (unless great weight and aerodynamics). Check.
8. Some sort of an insulation package for colder weather would be nice, but I realize that goes against the 2nd criteria. Check--sort of. It has heated enclosed tanks, but there is another option it did not have.
9. MSRP somewhere in the $25,000 range, or less. I'm not necessarily planning on keeping this a long time, so I don't need Airstream quality. Check--sort of. Being a 2019 it was discounted.
Items not mentioned in my original that I like:
  1. Two roof vents--I want a vent above the bed and not all have that.
  2. Pull out steps--I don't like the ones that fold in.
  3. A/C vents in roof and a wall thermostat that controls both the heat and A/C.
  4. USB ports. Surprising, not all trailers have that--crazy.
  5. Two locks on each storage door to make them harder to pry open.
  6. Pass through storage not accessible from inside (again a security issue).
  7. Crazy weight carrying capacity--over 3,000 pounds. Not that I'll use it, but it's nice to be well within margins on this like I am with towing weight.
Items I don't like:
  1. Crap tires I'm going to have to replace ASAP.
  2. No Showerveiser (saves water when not connected to water/sewer.)
  3. I actually would have preferred old-school aluminum sides.
  4. No goat included!
And finally, a picture.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
And here are the runners up:
  • Geo Pro and E Pro e and e 19FD. Really nice, but lacks tandem axle and two roof vents. Also fold in steps. And the worst thing--no rear bumper. I know those are not terribly strong, but I would rather not have the first thing hit be an expensive piece of fiberglass.
  • Sonic SN190VRB. Slightly wider and less cargo capacity reserve. No USB. Fold in steps.
  • Forest River Sonoma 1671MB. Not tandem axle, but nice.
  • No Boundaries 19.2—Interesting trailer but apparently too new to be in stock anywhere.
  • Forest River Wolf Pup 16FQ. A nice small trailer. Not tandem. Apparently comes with both aluminum and fiberglass sides.

·
Registered
24 Posts
  • Geo Pro and E Pro e and e 19FD. Really nice, but lacks tandem axle and two roof vents. Also fold in steps. And the worst thing--no rear bumper. I know those are not terribly strong, but I would rather not have the first thing hit be an expensive piece of fiberglass.
  • Sonic SN190VRB. Slightly wider and less cargo capacity reserve. No USB. Fold in steps.
  • No Boundaries 19.2—Interesting trailer but apparently too new to be in stock anywhere.
  • Forest River Wolf Pup 16FQ. A nice small trailer. Not tandem. Apparently comes with both aluminum and fiberglass sides.
The fold in steps were there deal breaker for us on the geopros. A lot of times I will hop in the trailer to grab something really quick and having to set those steps up would be a pain. Also, you need a lot of clearance and where we park our trailer, there is a block wall on the door side so I would have to leave a lot of space.

The Winnebago trailers are good quality. My neighbor bought one and it was nice.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
The fold in steps were there deal breaker for us on the geopros. A lot of times I will hop in the trailer to grab something really quick and having to set those steps up would be a pain. Also, you need a lot of clearance and where we park our trailer, there is a block wall on the door side so I would have to leave a lot of space.
Some of the dealers said they could change them out.

I'm not sure what the advantage is other than the trailer won't move as much when you step on the steps. But those are the same two reasons I don't like them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congratulations! Like the blue color too.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Congratulations! Like the blue color too.
I think that might have been why it was still around on the lot, and I think it might also make it difficult for me to sell some day down the road (hopefully it won't affect trade-in).

There's a similar 2108DS model (the pullout is a wider dinette rather than a couch) locally that is red. I really don't like dinettes, but if the 2106DS had been red I probably would have bought something else.

Winnebago now only has three neutral colors, no more red, blue and yellow. Probably makes things cheaper for them, but I suspect most the non-special order ones of those colors were more difficult to sell since you need a tow vehicle that doesn't clash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to suggest the Winnebago micro minnie’s but looks like you did right. I like the 2106FBS, a tad bit lighter, more storage, fixed queen bed.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I was going to suggest the Winnebago micro minnie’s but looks like you did right. I like the 2106FBS, a tad bit lighter, more storage, fixed queen bed.
Thanks. I really prefer the Murphy bed setup just to give more floor room, but in a pinch I would have accepted a queen with that bed orientation. The two trailers are really virtually identical but for that difference.

Is the storage difference just the area in the front where the Murphy bed goes down when up? That does take up space.

For those not familiar, many trailer Murphy beds have folding mattress systems. Most seemed comfortable, but that would limit your bringing your own mattress if you decided you want something different. But because of their system you're supposed to tow with the bed down rather than up. There isn't even a way to lock it in the up position--springs push it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, the murphy bed takes away quite a bit of under bed storage. I can see both have their good points. I got to say, your blue truck and trailer looks good, nice setup.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Congratulations - nice looking trailer. Looking forward to seeing some trip reports and photos soon.
With having to winterize the trailer each time, probably going to be just a couple of short trips to work out the kinks. Already planning a trip to California in April, through Grants Pass and The Grapevine areas and then back up the coast. And hopefully Banff/Jasper in September, or if not that at least Yellowstone. And even more hopefully, regular trips during the Summer exploring our own backyard, but that's as work allows.

161 - 180 of 191 Posts