Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
The understatement of the year.

Everytime I contact the guys who sold me my popup, they tell me they have a waiting list for repairs and I am 3 - 5 months out. Really expected them to respond better to someone who purchased from them, but their techs are focused on prepping new trailer sales as opposed to repairing other sales. Dealers see their service techs as simply an arm of their sales department and not a stand alone profit center. Once when I told them I needed the camper for a specific trip, and I knew we had to order parts, they refused to set an appointment till the parts arrived. When the parts arrived, they told me I was out of luck, they couldn't get to my camper for 3 months even though I needed it in 3 weeks.

Sadly, there was not a u-tube video on the repair I needed to do, best I could do was some written instructions for a similar repair and an exploded view. They quoted me 4 hours for an experienced, trained repair tech to do the repair. It took an old man like me 90 minutes to figure it out, crawl out from under the camper 2-3 times and go find the right tool, etc. If I had to do that same repair again, 45 minutes tops. (And with what I know now, probably only need 2, maybe 3 tools.)

If you think it is hard to schedule your truck into the dealer for service, wait till you try to get your camper serviced. And I have spoken to several dealers of campers and motorhomes, none of them gave me any hope that they were any better.
The very sad state of affairs today is that the factories are pumping out RVs so fast that QC can't or doesn't do a proper job. They expect the dealers to 'finish' them before sending them off the lot to the buyers.
Taking care of the warranty (or other) work after the sale gets to be less important than sales.
The problem today is so bad that those who deliver RVs to dealers have to CAREFULLY document the condition of the RVs they pickup from the factory so they are not held responsible for anything the receiving dealer finds BEFORE they accept it. To do otherwise, the dealer may have an issue getting the factory to approve repairs, even before it is sold.
After that, it is the responsibility of the new owner to 'find' the remaining issues through use so they can be claimed under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
I am in south Texas and you can see RV dealers all along the I45 from Dallas to Galveston and all over Houston. And so many storage lots. I see all the new white boxes for sale, I just don't understand whos buying all these. I know they will be junk in ten years.

Reactions: streamintrip

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't remember where I read that. As to the parking issue, I remember Fast Lane Truck reviewed this huge trailer (I think it may have been a horse/crew trailer) that was triple axle. The third could be lifted off the ground to make parking easier.

I'm not saying you will have sway with a single axle, only that it's less likely with a tandem. Anyone else have a cite for that claim?
My view is that tandem axle trailers are easier to back and tow, in general. I have had single axles before and it is not a big issue until you move up, even just a couple of feet in length, and start towing a tandem. What a difference! But, I am sure others have had different experiences regarding this issue.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
The GMC 73-78 Motorhome was an awesome attempt. Right idea, wrong time.
I don't think anyone has made a better looking RV since.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The GMC 73-78 Motorhome was an awesome attempt. Right idea, wrong time.
I don't think anyone has made a better looking RV since.
Very true! The current crop of owners of these gems have a very tight knit, warm club to promote, preserve, and protect this very interesting, before it's time coach.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Ive always been a micro geek.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
I see these all the time. AT&T use them at job sites. I could build one out for a single sleeper and weekender.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Reactions: nvblue

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #149

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
No. Probably bc they don't have to. They sell every one they make since each are ordered to your specific design sheet. There are no dealerships, you pick it up at the factory or have them cross it to the US with all Customs taken care of.
I think they're particularly well setup to deliver to Washington state, and might even be able to deal with the licensing.

I don't have a big problem with the base price, but there are a ton of options just about anyone would want, and that really drives the price up.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Reactions: Goodspike

·
Registered
612 Posts
The perfect micro...
Thanks for posting this. I've never heard of these guys, but I've been looking at a Scamp. and this might be a good alternative. It's a lot closer for me to pick up.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Thank you to those who brought up service. I decided to check Yelp and Google for user reviews, and the service department was widely panned at the Winnebago dealer to the south of me, and the one to the north was not much better. There is one more in Western Washington and there the main complaints were about the sales people. I can handle that, but they are further away than I would like. There's another brand option where the dealer got pretty good reviews overall. So that means there may actually be some good dealers. Maybe.

The widely panned Winnebago dealer has an extended warranty they offer for free, but it requires annual checkups. And apparently during the annual checkups lots of uncovered things are discovered, and one user was even complaining sabotage!

I'm not generally a fan of extended warranties. The one benefit I see to them is they might be able to point you to a mechanic that can fix something when you're on the road. Has anyone had good experience with an RV extended warranty?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I think I mentioned a cheap Yamaha generator at Costco. I didn't look at it carefully, but I think it might be something like this. A faux Yamaha generator made by someone else with a Yamaha engine. Not a bad price, it will work in parallel with another device, and they claim it is 7db quieter than their non-Yamaha model (which can also be used in parallel). And it has a 30 amp plug. For $500 might be worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-SUA2000iV-2000-Watt-Portable-Generator/dp/B07L9N8SD7/ref=pd_lutyp_im_2_4/135-9992412-3869769?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07M8P1RFW&pd_rd_r=bb689888-7824-4150-a923-c8137c31c5b9&pd_rd_w=JK4SI&pd_rd_wg=q2TCj&refRID=7W5WMFD55WWVGXY463S3&th=1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why the heck are you looking for campers that could be towed with a Ford Escape for your Colorado? Why do you even have a truck?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Why the heck are you looking for campers that could be towed with a Ford Escape for your Colorado? Why do you even have a truck?
Apparently you think the only number that matters is the max tow rating. After accounting for my wife, cat and myself, accessories and 300 pounds of cargo, the maximum tongue weight on my diesel is only about 600 pounds. Since the tongue weight should exceed 10% of trailer weight, that makes a 7,700 pound trailer a no go. Also in that same concern, given the GCVW, the maximum trailer weight is only about 6,700 pounds after accounting for those same items.

But beyond that, I'm looking for something that is "easier" to tow, which means more aerodynamic for better fuel economy, and narrower for better visibility (and better aerodynamics). I don't need to be dragging a second home behind me, but if I were to do so it would be with a full size truck, maybe even a HD truck.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Yea. If you will be towing something temporarily, large is OK. You deal with the issues.
But if you will be towing much more, smaller and lighter is better because your trailer need to get along with your vehicle better like getting in and out of places, fuel economy, bake wear and braking distance. Basically, a trailer you can forget is back there, but still serves its purpose is ideal.

Reactions: Goodspike

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yeah, I recently bought a small trailer, MUCH smaller than the maximum my Canyon can tow. I understand some folks want all the features and comforts and some elbow room for a family. But I'm more the type to look for the smallest, most efficient option, and since it's usually just me camping alone I don't really feel the need for more. I got the smallest trailer made (as far as I can tell after two years of looking) that has all the features I want-it's under 2,000 pounds. Another good reason to size down is that I don't necessarily see myself driving a truck forever, I'd like something more economical eventually. Something minimalist, the smallest, most efficient option I can find that fits my needs. (detect a pattern?) Having such a compact trailer will make downsizing my vehicle that much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Free.99 I did put about $250 into it though. 1979 coachman pop up. Ford escape towable.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 197 Posts