Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few favorites, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Here are my criteria, the first three being the most important.

1. Available in Washington state or British Columbia.
2. Unloaded weight somewhere under 3,500, under 3,000 preferred.
3. Aerodynamic. Narrow is okay if that's what it takes to reach that goal. But sloped front Murphy bed models also seem aerodynamic.
4. No pullouts!.
5. Only needs to sleep 2, but I don't want one of those ultra small things that basically you can only sleep in. Prefer a Murphy bed setup, but not necessary.
6. Tandem axles preferred, but may be difficult to find in that weight range.
7 Inside kitchen and although a wet bath would be okay, not preferred (unless great weight and aerodynamics).
8. Some sort of an insulation package for colder weather would be nice, but I realize that goes against the 2nd criteria.
9. MSRP somewhere in the $25,000 range, or less. I'm not necessarily planning on keeping this a long time, so I don't need Airstream quality.

Tow vehicle is a 2019 Colorado CC Duramax LT.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brands to avoid, with reasoning, would also be appreciated. For example, I've rented a small Zinger, but their design of the shower area was so poor that I doubt the shower area would hold up for even a year. That calls into question other shortcuts they might be willing to make.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Not having a slide out will save you a lot of weight and allow a bigger trailer within your weight parameters. Slide outs are sweet to have, but they do add cost and are heavy.

The Rockwood Geo Pro trailers look nice. I do not own one, but was hanging out with a fellow camper who had one and checked it out, it seemed like a nice rig for two people to get away in. Weight is right at 3K - your Duramax would barely notice it. Here is a sales video from an RV dealer on the trailer I mentioned.

Reactions: Goodspike

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
My popup has a slide out for the dining table. Yes, probably adds considerable weight, but also makes the interior seem spacious as compared to other campers. (Of course, when you put the dog crate inside, that space disappears, but without the slide out, no place for the dog cage.

I do think one of the most critical issues is our trucks are narrow, most trailers are wider. Without good trailer mirrors, visibility behind you is compromised. At same time, I really like the king size bed on our popup, but that is part of the width issue. A "narrow" trailer may only have a FS bed.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do think one of the most critical issues is our trucks are narrow, most trailers are wider. Without good trailer mirrors, visibility behind you is compromised..
I installed the Boost mirrors, and highly recommend them, even if you don't tow. It's really nice having good mirrors.

I mainly was interested in narrow for aerodynamics, although better visibility would be a plus too,

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
672 Posts
I’m happy with my 2013 Livin Lite 13BHB. I’m right around 2200 pounds ready to camp. Tongue weight was measured with a cheap bathroom scale at 185 pounds.

Durable and lightweight. No slides to leak, all aluminum everything, sleeps 4 and goes anywhere I need to go.

The “older” ones have a better roof than the newer ones.

Mine is a single axle but they made a 14 foot model with duals back in the day.

You seem pretty picky so I doubt you’d like it but it checked all my boxes.

No offense about the picky part.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I do not think you will find a trailer under 3,000 lbs. with tandem axles. Single axles are rated at 3,500 lbs.

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
The Geo-Pro G19FD is one of the best options, IMO.

Jayco also makes some worth looking at, such as...

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You seem pretty picky so I doubt you’d like it but it checked all my boxes.

No offense about the picky part.
No offense taken--I'll check it out. I realize things are trade-offs, but I want to have as few as possible.

On the topic of picky, I wish a canopy were optional, but they seem to be standard equipment on most models. I just don't see myself using that much.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not think you will find a trailer under 3,000 lbs. with tandem axles. Single axles are rated at 3,500 lbs.
You're probably right, but I was willing to accept up to 3,500 partially in order to get that. The closest I've found is this one, which is about 3,800 unloaded. That's really more than I want to pull, but it does fit most the other boxes, but not the narrow part. So heavy and wide.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jayco also makes some worth looking at, such as...

Thanks! This one w/ the Baja edition was on my list. As were different models of their Hummingbird series.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
That statement makes me think this is your first travel trailer. Am I correct?
I did not use my canopy the first half dozen times I took out my camper. After the rainy stay we had in Bay St. Louis a few years ago, I roll that canopy out pretty much everytime, maybe not if wind is extremely high. Adds rain protection and shades half of the trailer from the sun in hot weather. Add a piece of all weather "astro-turf" under the canopy, and you (and the dogs) drag a lot less crap in the camper when you come and go.

(Am I showing my age with term "astro-turf?") Half the people here probably do not even remember the Astrodome.

Reactions: 93Duc and Gammz

·
Registered
672 Posts
(Am I showing my age with term "astro-turf?") Half the people here probably do not even remember the Astrodome.
Saw the Astros play in the Astrodome and one of my barns has an Astro turf floor.

I’ve been camping longer than most have been alive. Not a full timer but I take camping serious.

I joke that I camp all the way to the edge of divorce. My wife doesn’t camp. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a Heartland Wilderness 2750RL I tow with a 16 CCSB 3.6. Its much bigger than what you are looking for but I would avoid Heartland with vim and vigor. Every time the wheels turn on that RV some or multiple somethings break on it. Customer service has been ****.

I would really check out Nu Camp trailers. They are getting high marks on workmanship and service.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That statement makes me think this is your first travel trailer. Am I correct?
It's the first that I'll be buying, not the first I've used. Also, we did a lot of this when I was a kid.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not use my canopy the first half dozen times I took out my camper. After the rainy stay we had in Bay St. Louis a few years ago, I roll that canopy out pretty much everytime, maybe not if wind is extremely high. Adds rain protection and shades half of the trailer from the sun in hot weather.
I don't think I'll be camping a lot of places where I need it for shade, and I'm concerned about drying it out if I use it for rain (and if it is raining I can either use rain gear or stay inside). Seems like it would be prone to mildew.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would really check out Nu Camp trailers. They are getting high marks on workmanship and service.
Now I am feeling like Goldilocks--too hot, too cold. That company's offerings are too big or too small! ;-)

·
Registered
672 Posts
It's the first that I'll be buying, not the first I've used. Also, we did a lot of this when I was a kid.
Ok.

I was trying to figure out how you decided what you needed in a camper.

The camper purchase learning curve is steep. I recommend people rent what they think they want for a trip and see if it really works.

Most plans on paper don’t make much sense in the real world without the proper experience to back them up.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I don't think I'll be camping a lot of places where I need it for shade, and I'm concerned about drying it out if I use it for rain (and if it is raining I can either use rain gear or stay inside). Seems like it would be prone to mildew.
Rest assured that even with it rolled up it will still get water inside the awning if you tow it in the rain, so even if you don't actually use it you still want to make sure and roll it out and let it dry if there's any chance water got in, otherwise you'll get lovely mildew stains that need to be cleaned off. We use our awning regularly, even in the shade, because we have lights that hang in the track to provide lighting for the picnic table, etc. Newer trailers tend to have an LED light strip under the awning to provide outside light so may not be something you need to think about, but if all you have is the porch light then you'll probably want some way to provide more light outdoors at night for eating, playing board/card games, etc. You can see what I'm talking about below. Hopefully whatever trailer you end up with will have sufficient outdoor lighting.

IMG_5093(Edited) by Hogan W, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 197 Posts