Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my ZR2 it came with an A.R.E. Overland cap. On top of this is a slot style rail and crossbar mounts. Unfortunately I don't have the actual crossbars and I will eventually need them. Can any of you tell me what this setup is?

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,117 Posts
Have you tried removing one of the brackets to look for any ID?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
It look like you have T-slot rails. I won’t worried about those footings. Take them off and mount whatever crossbar you want to your T-slot rails.
Note that not all rails are the same. ARE uses Yakima tracks so any crossbar legs used will have to be compatible with Yakima tracks. I have Rhino Rack RLT600 legs and Vortex crossbars on my Yakima tracks, had to buy the Rhino Rack Yakima track kit to mount the pads for the RLT600 legs. I'm not sure what brand pads those are in the OP's pics, though. They're not Rhino.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried removing one of the brackets to look for any ID?
No. I was expecting them to have the brand somewhere obvious when I climbed up to look. Seeing nothing other than what appears to be 'LP4' which means nothing to me, I took out my phone and snapped those pics.
It look like you have T-slot rails. I won’t worried about those footings. Take them off and mount whatever crossbar you want to your T-slot rails.
I'm not set on using the footings, but I want to make sure whatever I get works with the existing slots/tracks.
Note that not all rails are the same. ARE uses Yakima tracks so any crossbar legs used will have to be compatible with Yakima tracks. I have Rhino Rack RLT600 legs and Vortex crossbars on my Yakima tracks, had to buy the Rhino Rack Yakima track kit to mount the pads for the RLT600 legs. I'm not sure what brand pads those are in the OP's pics, though. They're not Rhino.
It is an ARE canopy so Yakima tracks are a reasonable guess.

I think you may have got it. I just searched for Yakima track to see if I could somehow confirm that's what came on the cap and this is the image that came up. Looks just like the track AND crossbar bases:

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,117 Posts
Case closed

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In case anyone else has this or a similar question in the future, here is what I have figured out. A bit more than I ever wanted to know about Yakima roof racks and their website is quite confusing if you don't know what you are looking for or how their stuff works. In short, it's a modular system. I'm also not sure how much of this applies to their other products, but here goes from bottom up:

T-Rail - the long strips down either side of the top of the cap and where the "landing pad" will mount. Obviously most vehicles will not have this installed, but seems to be the best option for adding to a canopy.

Landing Pad - this is Yakima's name for what I'd call a mounting base, it's the small bit that attaches directly to the vehicle or the T-Rail. They have lots of these that attach in different ways, but I'm confident that the ones I have and the ones best for a canopy are "Landing Pad #4". Seems obvious now since they have LP4 stamped in them, but I didn't even know Yakima called them landing pads until google and youtube told me so.

Tower - The Skyline Tower is a quick release system w/optional lock that clicks into the landing pad and holds the crossbars. Yakima used to sell another version called Control Tower, but that's been discontinued making Skyline the only option to use with their Landing Pads. For other setups Yakima sells they have different towers that attach directly to the vehicle.
Crossbar - pretty obvious. The nice thing about being modular, as far as I can tell any Yakima crossbar will work with any of their towers (some require an optional adapter).

So there you have it. The two things that confused me most before I figured them out are their names (landing pad? tower?) and that the Skyline tower is a separate modular piece not a small bracket that comes with the crossbar or the landing pad. Hopefully that helps someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
2021 White DCLB Z71 Duramax
50 Posts
I had those on my tacoma. Let me know if you need a set for your truck. Found mine in the garage last weekend. Think they are the 56"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts