Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm slightly embarrassed to be asking like this, but I've never entered the realm of lifted trucks before. For reference I have a stock 2017 Colorado 2.8L dmax.

I've been looking at putting 33in tires on, with some new Method Grids. However I know to do this I need a lift. From what I've seen I need around 2 in.

So, I've been looking at the Eibach pro truck sport kits. Emailed them and got a quote for the springs, front and rear shocks. From what they said tho this will give about 2 in in front and around 1 in rear? They said I'd probably need to do a block or add a leaf to raise the back more to fit 33's.

So I've ordered an add a leaf from autospring, they seem like solid guys.

I have NOT ordered the Eibach stuff yet as Im slightly confused if this is all I need to fit those tires and wheels. Furthermore I am kinda confused as to what wheels will fit, from what I have read our trucks take 6x120 wheels? which I havent really been able to find much support for. If anyone who has these wheels can give me a part number, along with the right part number for some wildpeak AT3W's that would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
To clear 33s, you will need more than 2" of lift. With 2" lift, 32s fit real tight. 2" suspension + 1.5" body lift + some trimming might work, but your best bet would be a BDS 5.5" lift kit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To clear 33s, you will need more than 2" of lift. With 2" lift, 32s fit real tight. 2" suspension + 1.5" body lift + some trimming might work, but your best bet would be a BDS 5.5" lift kit.
Ok. Thanks. I've just heard different things from different people so I'm quite confused on what exactly will work. 5.5 is a lot bigger then I originally wanted to go, so Im kinda hesitant to go that big haha.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My 31.7” tires rubbed until I added the bodylift (not available for diesel), with 00 offset Methods, 33” tires are gonna rub on the fender liners unless you cut the support plastic waffles and move them away from the wheel wells.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm ok.

So when I talked to @[email protected] he said that the chase kit would lift the front 3in alone (yes I know I talked about Eibach above, but Im considering everything)

So with the Bajakits UCA and Kind shocks that would lift 3 in front, I dont know about the rear, but like I said I have the add a leaf coming now.

I know it's quite the difference in price... But @Garrettb189 after seeing your signature I dont know if I should just spend the money on the UCA and kings now instead of later.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'd suggest staying with 31.6" tires, unless you think 0.7" less ground clearance is going to stop you from getting to where you want to go.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What makes this kit not compatible with 17 in wheels?
The lift kit replaces the spindles; the cast piece that your wheel hub is mounted to. The shape of this part curves inward, and rises to locate the upper ball joint. The lift kit manufacturer wants to ensure you have suitable clearance between the inside of the wheel, and the lift kit spindle. As mentioned above, the clearance is a function of wheel diameter, AND backspacing (how far the wheel extends towards the suspension from the hub).

Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hmm ok.

So when I talked to @[email protected] he said that the chase kit would lift the front 3in alone (yes I know I talked about Eibach above, but Im considering everything)

So with the Bajakits UCA and Kind shocks that would lift 3 in front, I dont know about the rear, but like I said I have the add a leaf coming now.

I know it's quite the difference in price... But @Garrettb189 after seeing your signature I dont know if I should just spend the money on the UCA and kings now instead of later.
If you have the cash the Bajakits arms and kings will be a MUCH better ride, I am a broke college kid so I have to save up for them...

Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you feel about going 4"?
Rough Country has a 4" lift that raises it via spindle offset, so it doesn't mess with control arm/ball joint geometry. The rub is needing to spend for 18" wheels with shallow backspacing, or running spacers.

4in Suspension Lift Kit for 2015-2018 4wd Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon Pickups | Rough Country Suspension Systems®
So I spoke with a guy at a local shop here and he said that with 33 in tires I'd probably wanna do the Rough Country 6 in lift. It's the same price, but he claimed it would be better clearance for the tires. Is that to big of a lift? Would it look silly?

He quoted me $1900 for the lift installed.

If I did this, can I eventually turn around and get the Baja kits chase kit UCA? Can I replace stuff with the king stuff? I was recommended to do a Coilover upfront with piggybacks in the rear. Is that possible to do with this lift kit?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
So I spoke with a guy at a local shop here and he said that with 33 in tires I'd probably wanna do the Rough Country 6 in lift. It's the same price, but he claimed it would be better clearance for the tires. Is that to big of a lift? Would it look silly?

If I did this, can I eventually turn around and get the Baja kits chase kit UCA? Can I replace stuff with the king stuff? I was recommended to do a Coilover upfront with piggybacks in the rear. Is that possible to do with this lift kit?

Thanks guys!
I honestly don't know how the Baja chase UCA plays with the 4" spindle lift, but the coilovers are not an issue, as that's what BDS upgrades their kits with. The Chase kit is more oriented towards suspension travel/articulation than lift, IMO.
I'm no expert, just pointing directions. Good that you are asking local shops too.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

Thanks guys!
No offense meant to anyone but...
The RC 6 inch lift is a BRO lift...meant for a mall crawler.
The Bajakits stuff is designed to be used, I am getting ready to purchase the upper A-arms, then I will remove the 1” Lift upper RC spacer and replace it with a 2” Lift spacer giving me 3” of level (and a 1” block for the rears)...then later I will add the King coilovers giving me much better suspension.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should be able to clear 33" tires with the chase kit - but you will need to do a fair bit of trimming. I have the Kings with Icon UCA's - different brand UCA but same results. I removed about 1" from the front of the wheel well and 2" from the back - no more rubbing - even at full stuff. If you don't want to trim that much - you can crank the Kings and get ~3" of lift - but your ride will be worse.

Seconded what Garrettb189 is saying. If you intend to use the truck - ditch the spindle lift and get better UCA's and shocks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.