Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a problem on my hands. My brake lights have all of a sudden stopped working. All three of them do not work at all. I checked the "stop lamp" fuse under the hood and it's good, checked the connections at the pedal, they looked good too. I haven't checked the bulbs but I can't believe all of them would've burned out at once. Anybody have any ideas on what I can check to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Probably brake light switch. Does your cruise control still work? If not, good posibility thats it... if it doesn't use a seperate switch. Also, ad anything aftermarket lately to it, anything at all that has to do with electrical, trailer, stereo?

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Just saw your profile and......... yeah i'd say you've added aftermarket wiring. Probably has nothing to do with the issue but the dealer may frown upon that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
PaulYFZ22 said:
Is that brake switch something I can order? I'll check my cruise control today.
yeah but u have 2 switches at the brake pedal and only 1 is bad, they are also different switches. i have replaces the same switch on 2 different trucks but i can not remember wich switch it was. if u are still under warranty i will be free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just dropped mine off at the dealership for the same problem. I first noticed the cruise not working Saturday night, read this and checked my break lights. I'm sure Spoolin is right about the 2nd switch, but I'll post if the dealer says anything different.

Erik

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Well off the top of my head im not sure if the brake light switch is the same as the one for the cruise control but ill check out the diagrams at work tomorrow unless anyone here has them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
dont hold me 2 it but u can try this if u are out of warranty, the switch on the left is the brake lamp switch and the right is the cruise control switch. lets look at the left switch

pedal pressed
orande 12v
lt/blue 12v good, 0v bad
when u press the peadal it completes the circuit sending power through the lt/blue wire turning on the lights

pedal released
orange 12v
lt/blue 0v
when u releas the pedal power nolonger flows through the lt/blue wire turnig the lights off

if the lt/blue does not show a change in voltage and u have 12v on the orange the switch is bad.

hope it is not to confusing, let us know what happens

i have replaced this same switch on 2 different colorados, not saying it is your problem but it is where i would start.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had same problem -- got tapped by a kia -- it ate my hitch. Found out that the GM Accessories Hitxch Harness was smoked -- it kept blowing my fuse for my brake lights. Dealer replaced my harness and no more blown fuses.

·
Registered
63 Posts
well the brake lights went out on me too. the cruise control also. gonna have it fixed at the dealer along with tire rotation, oil change and the guy included a free alignment. kinda scary when youre on the highway hauling ass with the possibility that someone could just total you from behind. :?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably brake light switch. Does your cruise control still work? If not, good posibility thats it... if it doesn't use a seperate switch. Also, ad anything aftermarket lately to it, anything at all that has to do with electrical, trailer, stereo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello...have brake light not working too. Brake pedal locked on with piece of wood to test. After few minutes clicks on. Assuming switch like it was suggested. Which switch is it? Cruise doesn't work when brake light not working. Thanks

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Hello...have brake light not working too. Brake pedal locked on with piece of wood to test. After few minutes clicks on. Assuming switch like it was suggested. Which switch is it? Cruise doesn't work when brake light not working. Thanks
There are two switches on the pedal IIRC, it's the one to the brakes (duh right) Check for one that in loose in it's mount, that happens on these, the plastic crap mount gets loose. Sometimes you can just push it back into the part of the pedal bracket that it hits. If they seem to work correctly you will need a meter or test light too check them.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Switch isn't sticking for brake pedal the one in the left
,fuse good but no brake lights
You will need a meter or test light to check for power to and from the switch.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts