Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Help! 4x4 shop insists I need 2" strut spacers as well as Bilstein 5100 RHA to work!?

9K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Cody1707 
#1 ·
Help! 4x4 shop insists I need 2" strut spacers as well as Bilstein 5100 RHA to work!?

Has anyone heard of this?

I wanted to get away from my present 1.25" Zone strut spacer and go to Bilstein 5100 RHA front shocks; which I brought to my local 4x4 shop to install.

They tell me the Bilsteins will only provide extra travel not extra ride height. My truck is in the shop right now and they want me to spend $300 for a 2" strut lift in addition to the Bilsteins I already have (not installed yet).

Is this true? I sent them the link to the installation by SigArms.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/385-...ront-strut-16-colorado-bilstein-5100-rha.html

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
This is what I have:

Order Details:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantity: 1
Item: Bilstein 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Front Shocks for
2015-2017 Chevrolet Colorado 4wd (Pair) 24-253154 (Bilstein
24-253154)

Unit Price: $204.95
Total Price: $204.95
subtotal: $204.95
total: $204.95

#4 ·
From their site, matching part number

"B8 5100 (Ride Height Adjustable) - Shock Absorber

Part Number: 24-253154

Series: B8 5100 (Ride Height Adjustable)
Drive Type: 4WD
Position: Front
Descriptor: Front Lift Height: 0-2"
Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

Finish: Zinc Plated
Reservoir: No
Body Design: 46mm ID Snap Ring Grooved Body (Coilover)

Bilstein B8 5100 (Ride Height Adjustable) shock absorbers are designed for trucks and SUV's with a front OE coilover style suspension."

#5 ·
Yup I have the right shocks. I'm stopping by their shop after work and they'll show me what the problem is.

Hmm, we'll see. I'm going to end up a with a wonky 4" front end lift at this rate. lol.

Reactions: White016
#8 ·
The going consensus that I have found when doing my own research for the Bilstein 5100 that I installed on my truck was that you do not use a strut spacer along with the Bilstein 5100 it will put too much strain on ball joints and CV joints I do not know from first-hand experience but I do think that you're just asking for trouble if you use both. Just a side note if you're running is 17 inch wheel a 265 70 17 is the maximum that you're going to get under your truck if you want to run something bigger than that you're going to have to use a body lift or go all the way for a 4 inch or larger suspension lift and if you're running factory wheels you may also need wheel spacers.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
Well lets see what he comes up with tomorrow. Makes no sense to me but he is convinced I need both. He's putting the ring on the top perch combined with a 2 inch spacer. I want the 2" spacer install removed and my money back if he's wrong.

#12 ·
Getting bad vibes from a shop before an install like this is no good. The name of the shock has "Ride Height Adjustable" in the name. How do they think it doesn't allow you to change the height?

You can open the box and show the instructions where it shows the three notches and which notch provides a 2" lift.

I have the Bilstein 5100 RHAs set on the top ring clip notch, NO strut spacer, and the front of my truck is higher than it was before. I can 100% verify that you DEFINITELY do not want to add a strut top spacer in addition to that. You will mess up your truck (and good luck trying to get this shop to pay for the damage it will cause). If they won't do it without the spacer, then walk away and take your truck to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Either this shop is trying to "buy up" the service, or they are just dumb. Either way, I recommend looking elsewhere. If they do end up doing the work, make sure they use the locknut that is included with the shocks. If they try to re-use the old one, there is a chance it will not lock like it is supposed to, and allow the shock to fail.

#13 ·
Agreed, If you are installing the 5100 RHA shocks set at the top notch, do not add the 2" spacer or you're really going to screw up your front suspension, not to mention you'll be changing UBJ's once a week. Like others have said, I would consider going somewhere else, I don't think these guys know what they're talking about..

#16 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

He's agreeing to put on only the Bilsteins with the top clip in place even though he's convinced it will sit LOWER than what I have at the present (I have a Zone 1.25" Level). The interesting thing is he's not some hillbilly mechanic. He appears intelligent and well spoken.

I think because the clip space isn't an actual measurable 2 inches between the lowest 'stock' ring height and the highest ring height he can't get his head wrapped around the physics of it; i.e. that the increased preload will reflect a greater ride height than the actual measured ring spacing. He also thinks the clip will fail with any moderate off-roading.

Oh well. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

Reactions: White016
#21 ·
Well it's done and it's awesome! But the mechanic still won't admit he was wrong; I didn't push it cause I was feeling charitable. He says it's lower now and the ride is rougher. Haha...so wrong! I can clearly see without measuring it's taller at the fenderwell. And the ride is great. I also had airbags put in the back and side steps. I'll post pix when I get to a computer.

#22 ·
You are very charitable...I would have laughed loudly at him, and taken my truck elsewhere immediately...as soon as he said you needed a spacer with the RHA shocks. Just because someone is in a profession does not make them any good at said profession....

Reactions: base587
#30 ·
I'm glad for this thread, prior to it I hadn't considered that using a leveling kit in conjunction with a Bilstein or Eibach suspension lift wouldn't be a good idea... Does mean I get to step back and figure out wtf to do since I don't much care for the idea of buying a new suspension to not be level and to also only have a .5" raise in the front lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.