Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! 4x4 shop insists I need 2" strut spacers as well as Bilstein 5100 RHA to work!?

Has anyone heard of this?

I wanted to get away from my present 1.25" Zone strut spacer and go to Bilstein 5100 RHA front shocks; which I brought to my local 4x4 shop to install.

They tell me the Bilsteins will only provide extra travel not extra ride height. My truck is in the shop right now and they want me to spend $300 for a 2" strut lift in addition to the Bilsteins I already have (not installed yet).

Is this true? I sent them the link to the installation by SigArms.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/385-...ront-strut-16-colorado-bilstein-5100-rha.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what I have:

Order Details:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantity: 1
Item: Bilstein 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Front Shocks for
2015-2017 Chevrolet Colorado 4wd (Pair) 24-253154 (Bilstein
24-253154)

Unit Price: $204.95
Total Price: $204.95
subtotal: $204.95
total: $204.95

·
Registered
609 Posts
From their site, matching part number

"B8 5100 (Ride Height Adjustable) - Shock Absorber

Part Number: 24-253154

Series: B8 5100 (Ride Height Adjustable)
Drive Type: 4WD
Position: Front
Descriptor: Front Lift Height: 0-2"
Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

Finish: Zinc Plated
Reservoir: No
Body Design: 46mm ID Snap Ring Grooved Body (Coilover)

Bilstein B8 5100 (Ride Height Adjustable) shock absorbers are designed for trucks and SUV's with a front OE coilover style suspension."

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup I have the right shocks. I'm stopping by their shop after work and they'll show me what the problem is.

Hmm, we'll see. I'm going to end up a with a wonky 4" front end lift at this rate. lol.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
610 Posts
Have 'em set them at the top c-clip ring mount on the shock shaft and you have 2" of lift. Raises the spring perch. What is hard about that?
Hope they don't keep stringing you on...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Have 'em set them at the top c-clip ring mount on the shock shaft and you have 2" of lift. Raises the spring perch. What is hard about that?
Hope they don't keep stringing you on...
Summit racing tried telling me that neither Eibach nor Bilstein sell anything to "lift" a truck, they only sell lowering kits... They got very confused when I emailed them back with products they sell....

·
Registered
253 Posts
The going consensus that I have found when doing my own research for the Bilstein 5100 that I installed on my truck was that you do not use a strut spacer along with the Bilstein 5100 it will put too much strain on ball joints and CV joints I do not know from first-hand experience but I do think that you're just asking for trouble if you use both. Just a side note if you're running is 17 inch wheel a 265 70 17 is the maximum that you're going to get under your truck if you want to run something bigger than that you're going to have to use a body lift or go all the way for a 4 inch or larger suspension lift and if you're running factory wheels you may also need wheel spacers.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well lets see what he comes up with tomorrow. Makes no sense to me but he is convinced I need both. He's putting the ring on the top perch combined with a 2 inch spacer. I want the 2" spacer install removed and my money back if he's wrong.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well lets see what he comes up with tomorrow. Makes no sense to me but he is convinced I need both. He's putting the ring on the top perch combined with a 2 inch spacer. I want the 2" spacer install removed and my money back if he's wrong.
If they haven't started yet, go find another shop. These guys sound like folks not familiar with coilovers at all... which means leaf springs, blocks and body lifts are more their speed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If your around North Carolina I'll help you install it took 4.5 hrs.
It's not that bad and I know how to complete the job without damaging a brand new truck lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Getting bad vibes from a shop before an install like this is no good. The name of the shock has "Ride Height Adjustable" in the name. How do they think it doesn't allow you to change the height?

You can open the box and show the instructions where it shows the three notches and which notch provides a 2" lift.

I have the Bilstein 5100 RHAs set on the top ring clip notch, NO strut spacer, and the front of my truck is higher than it was before. I can 100% verify that you DEFINITELY do not want to add a strut top spacer in addition to that. You will mess up your truck (and good luck trying to get this shop to pay for the damage it will cause). If they won't do it without the spacer, then walk away and take your truck to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Either this shop is trying to "buy up" the service, or they are just dumb. Either way, I recommend looking elsewhere. If they do end up doing the work, make sure they use the locknut that is included with the shocks. If they try to re-use the old one, there is a chance it will not lock like it is supposed to, and allow the shock to fail.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Getting bad vibes from a shop before an install like this is no good. The name of the shock has "Ride Height Adjustable" in the name. How do they think it doesn't allow you to change the height?

You can open the box and show the instructions where it shows the three notches and which notch provides a 2" lift.

I have the Bilstein 5100 RHAs set on the top ring clip notch, NO strut spacer, and the front of my truck is higher than it was before. I can 100% verify that you DEFINITELY do not want to add a strut top spacer in addition to that. You will mess up your truck (and good luck trying to get this shop to pay for the damage it will cause). If they won't do it without the spacer, then walk away and take your truck to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Either this shop is trying to "buy up" the service, or they are just dumb. Either way, I recommend looking elsewhere. If they do end up doing the work, make sure they use the locknut that is included with the shocks. If they try to re-use the old one, there is a chance it will not lock like it is supposed to, and allow the shock to fail.

Agreed, If you are installing the 5100 RHA shocks set at the top notch, do not add the 2" spacer or you're really going to screw up your front suspension, not to mention you'll be changing UBJ's once a week. Like others have said, I would consider going somewhere else, I don't think these guys know what they're talking about..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the same Bilstein shocks set for the 2" lift...that's all you need. No spacer or anything else. If the shop can't read directions or grasp the concept of how the Bilsteins work, go somewhere else before your truck is screwed up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

He's agreeing to put on only the Bilsteins with the top clip in place even though he's convinced it will sit LOWER than what I have at the present (I have a Zone 1.25" Level). The interesting thing is he's not some hillbilly mechanic. He appears intelligent and well spoken.

I think because the clip space isn't an actual measurable 2 inches between the lowest 'stock' ring height and the highest ring height he can't get his head wrapped around the physics of it; i.e. that the increased preload will reflect a greater ride height than the actual measured ring spacing. He also thinks the clip will fail with any moderate off-roading.

Oh well. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the kind offer Mini-Max. I live up in Canada so a bit far away :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
He also thinks the clip will fail with any moderate off-roading.
I've got probably 8000 - 9000 miles or more on my Bilsteins on the Canyon. We've done a few good off-road trips, nothing high-speed desert running, but some pretty hard hits either way. They are holding up just fine.

Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone.

He's agreeing to put on only the Bilsteins with the top clip in place even though he's convinced it will sit LOWER than what I have at the present (I have a Zone 1.25" Level). The interesting thing is he's not some hillbilly mechanic. He appears intelligent and well spoken.

I think because the clip space isn't an actual measurable 2 inches between the lowest 'stock' ring height and the highest ring height he can't get his head wrapped around the physics of it; i.e. that the increased preload will reflect a greater ride height than the actual measured ring spacing. He also thinks the clip will fail with any moderate off-roading.

Oh well. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.
It's been a while since I've messed with coil-overs. I only remember ones with a big nut on the bottom of the spring that is adjustable. It can be confusing but I think the bottom line is, the tighter the spring, the higher the truck? I'm guessing with yours it has a groove about 1" from the stock location for the clip that tightens the spring? So it doesn't change the overall length of the shock, just the preload? So, when it IS on the ground the spring is actually 2" longer, but the same length when not loaded? Seems like it would be quite a bit stiffer of a ride compared to a spacer on top.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.