Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like it says, It's there at Helminc.com.

What I would like to know is how could the USB drive be for PC only?
What IT world are they living in?

Reactions: American Truck

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Like it says, It's there at Helminc.com.

What I would like to know is how could the USB drive be for PC only?
What IT world are they living in?
Just be glad it is not a folder with cd discs. Lol!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The file on the USB uses Adobe PDF format and is programed in a way that I initially even had trouble with that until Helms told me I had to update my reader to the latest version of the time - despite my version not being that old. It operates fine on my PC though I never tried it on my Windows tablet. I don't (and won't) own any Apple products and my Android tablet doesn't have a USB port.

Even though the file is an Adobe PDF, I was unable to copy it and have it work. I wanted to put it on my PC so I didn't have the USB sticking out all the time (plus using up a port), but no bueno. I'm not a hacker, and it probably can be done, but the usual methods of copying and/or setting up a new drive partition just for the file and using a drive mirroring program failed to work.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the paper book always works

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado CCLB 2wd 2.8L Duramax Summit White
85 Posts
Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the Helminc manuals and some of those $10 PDF manuals you can find on eBay? Are they really that much more detailed to justify the extra $340?

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't disparage the Fleabay one I bought publicly, lets just say I can't use it.

Reactions: Harobmxer87

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Ok buy the printed version :eek:
Not counting the introduction, table of contents or index, there are just over 8,000 pages in the manual. Bring your printer, paper and ink/toner and I'll put them to work!
One big advantage to the PDF is everything in the TOC and index are live links. No thumbing through pages, just click and you are there.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scanning paper prints with Optical Character Recognition will make searchable PDFs

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,253 Posts
Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the Helminc manuals and some of those $10 PDF manuals you can find on eBay? Are they really that much more detailed to justify the extra $340?
The eBay one I bought was basically the ALLDATA manual printed in PDF format, however it was not paginated nor did it have a TOC. It is still useful, I just have to do a creative word search to find what I'm looking for. I imagine the Helm manuals are much better organized, easier to use, and probably a bit more detailed.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Not counting the introduction, table of contents or index, there are just over 8,000 pages in the manual. Bring your printer, paper and ink/toner and I'll put them to work!
One big advantage to the PDF is everything in the TOC and index are live links. No thumbing through pages, just click and you are there.
Yep I have the PDF version. I still have the printed manual from my 92 S10 pickup. 🤪

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep I have the PDF version. I still have the printed manual from my 92 S10 pickup. 🤪
Trike,
Have you been able to get the PDF stick to work on an Apple or Mac with a PDF reader?
That was a big part of my problem with the Flea Bay, it just taxed the c rap out of my processer. Even had to do hard recoveries. Im not exactly a novice at this.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Trike,
Have you been able to get the PDF stick to work on an Apple or Mac with a PDF reader?
That was a big part of my problem with the Flea Bay, it just taxed the c rap out of my processer. Even had to do hard recoveries. Im not exactly a novice at this.
Sorry dont have a Mac or Apple puter. Have you tried contacting Helms?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Since it's a PDF and Adobe makes a reader for Mac, it should work. There is a key file on the USB drive that the program must have to run, used as an anti pirating measure. Perhaps that's why the ebay versions wouldn't work. Helms should be able to confirm this with a phone call a trikermutha suggests.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The file on the USB uses Adobe PDF format and is programed in a way that I initially even had trouble with that until Helms told me I had to update my reader to the latest version of the time - despite my version not being that old. It operates fine on my PC though I never tried it on my Windows tablet. I don't (and won't) own any Apple products and my Android tablet doesn't have a USB port.

Even though the file is an Adobe PDF, I was unable to copy it and have it work. I wanted to put it on my PC so I didn't have the USB sticking out all the time (plus using up a port), but no bueno. I'm not a hacker, and it probably can be done, but the usual methods of copying and/or setting up a new drive partition just for the file and using a drive mirroring program failed to work.
Have you tried using the USB stick in a different PC?
Can it be used on multiple PCs?

The reason I ask is that years ago I bought a FSM for my Isuzu Trooper on a CD-ROM.
It ran off of the CD and was searchable and had live links and all, but when that PC died and I tried using the CD on another PC it wouldn't work properly. Evidently when I first used it the CD install routine changed some file to make it useable on that PC only.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Have you tried using the USB stick in a different PC?
Can it be used on multiple PCs?

The reason I ask is that years ago I bought a FSM for my Isuzu Trooper on a CD-ROM.
It ran off of the CD and was searchable and had live links and all, but when that PC died and I tried using the CD on another PC it wouldn't work properly. Evidently when I first used it the CD install routine changed some file to make it useable on that PC only.
I can run it on my desktop and tablet. When loading it on my tablet, I get an error message running the Helms unlock program, but I can load the PDF just fine, so I suspect the unlock program runs, just some kind of glitch throwing the error message.

EDIT: I'll also add that when I first got the USB, I had trouble loading it about two months later. Turned out the Adobe reader I was using was an older version. Helms told me to update the newest version and all's been well since.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paper.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Cant you take it to a print shop and ask them to print what you want?
Maybe. Since it's copyrighted material, a reputable shop might refuse. Places like Office Max would empty your piggy bank to print the whole thing. I have a printer and can do it myself but I haven't had the need.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts