Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Hellwig 7745, first or second setting?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Vinolush 
#1 ·
Hi I just installed the Hellwig 7745 (Rear Sway Bar) on my 2016 Colorado as I feel that it may be required as I am towing a trailer that weighs about 4000 lbs, and quite frankly without it the trailer felt like mush on the rear of the truck. Has anybody installed this sway bar and is towing a trailer around this weight, what setting are you using on the sway bar as the second hole is the stiffer of the two. Won't be towing the trailer until next Spring, but I want to get the setup right for that time. Thanks.

#2 ·
I tow a trailer that is around 4000 lbs. and have the sway bar also. I set it at the soft setting because I also had the Airlift airbags.
It made it corner like it was on rails. I removed the airbags because my cross country trip was over and they really destroyed the ride when the truck was empty.
I think that the Hellwig helper springs would be a better way to go when towing. They would be easier to take on and off as needed.
The sway bar now feels kind of soft. I have not moved it up in stiffness yet. You can just move one side to the front hole to get a medium setting or both to the front hole for the stiffest setting.
You will just have to try it out for the way you drive to know what setting is best.

I do not recommend the Airlift airbags for this truck because the bags are too small/short. When aired down to a minimum setting, they only have a very limited travel and will crash the top and bottom of the bag mounts together just driving around on city streets.

The sway bar should have come on this truck from the factory. It really is an improvement.

#6 ·
I tow a trailer that is around 4000 lbs. and have the sway bar also. I set it at the soft setting because I also had the Airlift airbags.
It made it corner like it was on rails. I removed the airbags because my cross country trip was over and they really destroyed the ride when the truck was empty.
I do not recommend the Airlift airbags for this truck because the bags are too small/short. When aired down to a minimum setting, they only have a very limited travel and will crash the top and bottom of the bag mounts together just driving around on city streets.
Few years ago, my neighbor and myself added Airlifts to our Canyons... You're right.. He had 2 bags puncture due to being pinched b/t the frame. Mine were awfully close to puncture.
After conferring with AL, we moved the bags to the front of the axle (had to switch sides due to the offset). I run 20lbs all the time, 45 lbs while towing

did the mod 2 years ago, no issues

After reading your post I think I'll add the say bar also

#4 ·
I have been running my truck on the more aggressive setting for about 2 months now and can honestly say I would not like going back to the first setting. This thing is great! Took it up to Big Bear mountain and loved how flat it was on the aggressive mountain turns. I wouldn’t be afraid to use that second setting at all. Pair it with the pedal commander in Sport mode with no plus or minus and it is perfect! These little trucks can really scoot and corner.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
#5 · (Edited)
I found with mine the outer lighter setting best for a neutral handlin non towing or heavy loads.

The inner heavier setting without a trailer had too much push or understeer. This over time could wear tires too. But with a trailer on or load it would be the better setting.

With the way it is set up you can change it easily for your needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.